Author Topic: Post Office  (Read 445 times)

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 4
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Post Office
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
Heard today that the new Post Office will be in the Mill House CafĂ©, opposite Morrisons.  According to one of the girls at Fairfield Farm (who used to work in the Co-op P.O.), it's definite and expected to open in January.

Excellent news.  Surprising that I haven't seen anything in WHN or the Wiltshire Times.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Re: Post Office
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
If true, it will be excellent news!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 13:03:23 PM »
Have to say I have not heard anything via WTC.

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 4
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 17:12:36 PM »
Well, it's only hearsay but she did seem definite!

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 5
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »
Due to Grid Lock in Westbury , went to Warminster late afternoon to post mail to States. The queue  for the Post Office AKA W H Smith, was out the shop and down to Lloyds Bank entrance in the Mall. a definite need for a Post office. how could Westbury, be so badly treated for a service so valuable as this... I think I know the answer
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 15:16:01 PM »
I chair the town council working group which is monitoring this matter. We would probably step forward to lease premises and run a PO in the High Street ONLY IF no-one else offered to do so as it would use tax payers money via Council Tax to subsidise the business. But before we could do that, we would have to overcome the unfortunate fact that the town council does not have legal competence to run a business - ie. the law says we cannot do anything requiring money to be spent UNLESS a specific law allows it. Until the elections in May, the town council did have legal competence to run businesses but as a result of insufficient candidates coming forward during the elections, we have insufficient elected councillors - ie. less than two thirds. Many new councillors were co-opted. To become competent to run a business and so be able to offer to run a PO we would have to ask the recently co-opted councillors to resign and face by-elections. There is no certainty that enough would offer to possibly lose their seat in this way .....

We have known for a long time that the Mill Cafe put in an application, but Post Office Ltd is extremely slow in progressing applications. It is almost beyond belief that they did not even start the process by advertising the business opportunity in Westbury until early Summer this year - a long time after Co-Op served notice that they would close their PO in October 2017.

One of the issues is the awful access into the Mill Cafe via steep steps and a fairly steep ramp at the back which is not suitable for many disabled folk or some in wheel chairs as the angle of the slope of the ramp really is too steep for many people - especially those with poor balance or using crutches.

I do not know at this stage whether the cafe has definitely been given approval yet.

The rumours that the Mill Cafe is an applicant have circulated since the month the Mill Cafe made their application in the Summer. I imagine they have told everyone and certainly all the local PO / sub-PO staff I have spoken to about this have all known that the Mill Cafe is in the running. There was also another rumour that Morrisons had made an application, but this turned out to be false.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 15:20:27 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 5
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 18:10:55 PM »
thanks for the response nothing to add though. Westbury needs a PO, that's it!!
I work in Basingstoke, and on my way back I stop at Stockbridge, a little village with 2000 lucky home owners, so I use their little post office where I do my business ....  says it all really. and yes Debbie, I am having a justified moan at Westbury
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 19:03:41 PM »
On my way in to Bath and back (at random times) via Hinton Charterhouse and Midford, I've started using the little PO in Hinton Charterhouse. I've never seen the queue more than one person long, but it is closed on Wednesdays .... which means a visit to Dilton Marsh PO at Fairfield Farm ...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 19:13:25 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 14:13:10 PM »
The PO at Fairfield Farm in Dilton works. Sure, its a little slow, but then so am I!
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.