Author Topic: HIGHWAY CODE - rules for cars overtaking cyclists  (Read 10883 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
HIGHWAY CODE - rules for cars overtaking cyclists
« on: February 07, 2009, 15:43:44 PM »
In the light of the sad tragedy recently when a cyclist was killed by a car which collided with him during an overtaking manouvre by the car in Station Road, Westbury, it is entirely appropriate to reflect on the responsibility of car drivers to abide by the Highway Code.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

The above link will bring up Rule 163 which states:

Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car

"163

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should:

• give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you  would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

..."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069858

The above link takes you to the section about "Road users requiring extra care"

The following is highly relevant:

"212

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 15:54:54 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: HIGHWAY CODE - rules for cars overtaking cyclists
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 16:22:25 PM »
I've had my wing mirror clipped by some plonker overtaking me, which is about as much room as most people give me on a bike...

Interestingly the chap on station Road wasn't wearing a helmet, which in a ruling last week in the appeal courts is complicit to accepting responsibility. The car is king, apparently.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline baldy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 18:06:46 PM »
I used to cycle a lot everywhere when I was living in Wimbledon (1989 - 1998) and on a few occasions a car came far too close making me swerve and hop onto the pavement out of the way.

I never wore a helmet though. I don't think that they became commonplace until a bit later.

Whilst the extent of injuries to the head may have been extended by lack of wearing a helmet in a  bad accident (any one where the cyclist comes off the bike), I am sure the driver still bears responsibility for knocking into the cyclist in the first place ..... unless the cyclist actually swerved into the path of the car (which I do not think happened in this particular case in Westbury recently.

Al

I assume that the High Court ruling applies to motor cyclists more than cyclists, or does it apply also to cyclists?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 20:11:59 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 19:12:59 PM »
When I rode motorcycles i used to ride just inside the white line making car users treat me as a car should they wish to overtake, whilst giving me some escape room on my nearside to allow for plonkers. I feel that too many riders ride far to close to the kerb and that intices drivers to chance an overtaking manoeuvre, having said that so many drivers don't look and only see riders at the last minute.  I think the driving test should have a part where every driver has to be tested on a cycle/motor cycle, car and light van that way perhaps people will understand the problems of other road users but courtesy seems to be a lost word today.

Offline Al

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 20:08:18 PM »
The ruling applies to pedal cyclists. The wearing of a helmet it compulsory for motor cycles.

A High Court judge has concluded that cyclists who suffer head injuries when not wearing a helmet may not be entitled to full compensation if it can be shown that a helmet would have reduced or prevented their injuries.

Full story here - http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5180

Offline Al

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 20:10:21 PM »
When I rode motorcycles i used to ride just inside the white line making car users treat me as a car should they wish to overtake
If you ride to far out to the right you will find people trying to push past on the left!(*) Indeed on a motorcycle you should ride "in the center of your available lane space".

(*) Especially scooter idiots in Trowbridge.

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:09:44 AM »

unless the cyclist actually swerved into the path of the car (which I do not think happened in this particular case in Westbury recently.

but you don't know that is the case baldy,do you??
we need the fact"s instead of "which I do not think happened"

Offline Al

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Lets not have this argument again please :)

Offline baldy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

unless the cyclist actually swerved into the path of the car (which I do not think happened in this particular case in Westbury recently.

but you don't know that is the case baldy,do you??

This thread is not a discussion about what the facts are in relation to the recent accident in Westbury. I have said what I believe to be the case and I have not said that these are proven facts.
You are trying to create an unnecessary argument.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:00:29 AM by baldy »

Offline pat

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:49 AM »
as a cycle rider,motor cyclist,car driver and lorry driver,i see things from all angles.poor driving happens on a daily basis and always will,accidents also happen on a daily basis meaning purely that.

rule 63 is quite clear i suppose,however in the real world people could find it difficult to follow that rule,for various reasons IMO..

what would be a good thing,is that anybody taking a car test should do some kind of motorcycle course or cycle course,just to see what it is like to ride a motorcycle or cycle on our busy roads.

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 14:42:02 PM »
My dear Al.   Whilst you are right, I found that the crown of the carrigeway, deisel dropped by lorries and manhole covers situated in the middle more hazardous.   Still I did have a slight advantage, a Ducatti 750 sport, p reg and bright yellow, also a big right foot helped now and again, if you know what i mean, leaves a bit of a dent in car doors.   I rode from 1966 to 1981 and only dropped it once, that was me showing off in front of mates.   I only gave up because the day to day grind and mental awareness took the fun out of it.  God I am definately old but secretely would love another bike but just for fair weather riding or track days.

Offline Rosebud

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 19:01:59 PM »
(which I do not think happened in this particular case in Westbury recently.
Do you know that then because we have had no reports to say what happened.
I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 19:46:49 PM »
i agrre with what charlie has said about the driving tests, but also i would like to add that cyclists and scooter users should be examined before let loose on the roads , mant times ive been behind a cyclist or some one on a motor bike and scooter and i always give them a wide bearth never overtaking till its safe and have many times had them just fly in front of me and its only because i am driving slowly and giving them attention that could be accidents been avoided

Offline baldy

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 20:30:56 PM »

The reports in Wiltshire Times a week ago and White Horse News last week both indicated that Police believe that the car was over-taking and collided with the cyclist as it was passing by alongside the cyclist.

This is the only logical deduction from what both newspapers said, and it was clear from the language used that they got their story from the Police.

As far as I am concerned - or care - the driver holds clear responsibility for keeping well clear of the cyclist. No Ifs or Buts about it. The Highway Code is very clear about the requirement to keep well clear of the cyclist.

Offline pat

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
quite simply rose,no he doesn't no what happened....