Author Topic: pub watch expel mike cuthbert-murray over public remarks  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: pub watch expel mike cuthbert-murray over public remarks
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »
I would doubt that any action against Mr Jackson would succeed, and here's why.

Defamation (libel and slander) is all about reputation, in particular about statements, written or verbal which damage others' reputations. When deciding on the level of damages a court will take into account how widespread the libellous material has been published.

Mr Jackson's letter (which has been published by Debs on this site) was written to one person i.e. a very small audience.

Debs on the other hand has repeated the allegations to a far larger audience and can also be sued, although I doubt Mike will do this as he probably gave her the letter and permission to publish it. If this is the case it begs the question - how concerned is Mike if he is willing for the libellous material to be distributed even wider?

I am no expert in defamation and I'm sure Cllr H will provide some insight as I believe him to be more knowledgeable in this area.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 13:55:24 PM »
Shizzy

I don't think damages is the significant issue ... and I agree that it would be minimal anyway ... not least because Mike is a politician and public figure.

The key issue for me is the passing of the letter straight to the newspaper, White Horse News,  in a deliberate attempt to publish the letter "to the world" as part of their deliberate smear campaign based on false claims and nonsense about Mike causing damage ...

Also, sending such a letter to the town council has the same effect anyway, as such correspondence would have to be made public at the next full meeting of the town council ...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 19:56:52 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 14:11:04 PM »
I concur Russell. My comments were as a result of Mike mentioning libel and litigation, I was under the impression he was pursuing an action for libel.

I agree the passing of the letter to the press was odd, however Mike seems happy for the contents of the letter to be made public.

Offline baldy

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 16:05:08 PM »
My suggestion to Mike was to seek legal advice on the subject of potential libel and the procedure involved.

My understanding of the modern procedure is that the solictor needs to seek an apology from the person who has sought to publish a damaging claim and if that apology is published, that ends the matter.

If the apology is not forthcoming and the publisher of the damaging claim refuses to accept any wrong, then the way is open for a court action .... and clearly Mike C-M would do no such thing without clear legal advice on the strength or otherwise of his case and a clear idea of the costs v. potential gain.

In the above comments I have posted, it my own contention that Pub Watch has libelled Mike C-M .... and I stand by that .... and Pub watch are welcome to try to get me to withdraw this statement ...........  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 16:06:50 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 22:31:24 PM »
Shizzy I have no choice wether this filthy  letter is made public its now very much in the public domain , complimemnts of a group called westbury pub watch.
this was done by sending the letter first to the papers and iam still to await pubwatches corespondence regarding this matter , and have been informed about this from the press .
As for contacting my solictors as russell has said its wether its practical if they have libelled me I personally would say they have , but I will let my solictors do their job as they are my legal team and will act in my best interests.
This is off course will be best left with profesionals involving legal case work .
I have stated I intend to not be libelled by anyone and if I am of course its my basic right to defend and challenge myself legally, just because someone is in the public eye , does not give anyone the right to print and circulate falsehoods and malicious lies, about them as an easy shot, and then expect them to lay back and be abused in this manner, without serious repurcussions
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 22:36:51 PM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 17:48:45 PM »
a good piece int he wiltshire times today  [app]   
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/inyourtown/westburynews/4558886.Thrown_out_by_PubWatch/

a very nice comment by mike hawkins :) then you get the idiotic ones as usual   ::)  ....  i bet the people who live in frogmore road will be up in arms now after reading its concidered a brothel area :(    hopefully they will see it as a joke  ::)

so long as local shops sells alcohol cheap in large bottle for a couple of quid every town will have the street drinkers.....

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »

I will check the claims that something was going on with the County Council (now Wiltshire Council).

As far as I am aware, the AntiSocial Behaviour officers at County Hall have only just become aware of the problem because of Cllr Mike C-M raising the issue with them.

Any update Russell?

Offline thatmanfez

• Hugs: 17
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 22:20:15 PM »
What came first - The McChicken Sandwich, or the Egg McMuffin?

Offline baldy

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 01:32:32 AM »

I will check the claims that something was going on with the County Council (now Wiltshire Council).

As far as I am aware, the AntiSocial Behaviour officers at County Hall have only just become aware of the problem because of Cllr Mike C-M raising the issue with them.

Any update Russell?

Not yet.  This whole topic of anti-social behaviour in the town centre has been put on the agenda of the next Westbury Area Board meeting ... not least because the public voted to make this one of our priority issues at the last meeting anyway.

The way I understand things so far is that the County Council and the Police have a long-established way of dealing with these issues through joint-working ... and our local PCs are keen to talk about how this way of working has been going on for years (which is true) ..... but our local PCs were caught out a bit by the speed at which the recent street drinking problem escalated and the fact that the Mayor and Cllr Mike C-M jumped on the issue to push for immediate action and request that the public report incidents to the Police to build up a log of evidence.

I believe that Mike C-M approached Anti-Social Behaviour officers at Wiltshire Council to get them involved straight away in the latest problem ... and the local Police are now trying to suggest that this made no difference .... presumably because if Mike C-m had not called them, the Police would have.

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:47 AM »
you are 100% correct baldy

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 15:13:28 PM »
Just an update my Lawyers this morning have sent their messenger out with letters to be delivered by hand to Westbury pub watch and its members for their pleasure, I will wait for their response

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 15:23:37 PM »
Just an update my Lawyers this morning have sent their messenger out with letters to be delivered by hand to Westbury pub watch and its members for their pleasure, I will wait for their response
fingers crossed you get a result then mike (b)

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 15:34:32 PM »

[app]

Offline devil girl

• Hugs: 24
  • watch your back you never know who's behind you
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 19:39:33 PM »
it don't work mike
life is what you make it