Author Topic: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag  (Read 10692 times)

cuthbert-murray

town council to fly the flag except the EU flag
« on: November 02, 2009, 23:10:48 PM »
tonight I layed a motion at the full town council that the laverton flies the union flag and the Flag of St George at all time , where a visiting country visits westbury their national flag to be flown alongside that of the union flag of Great Britain, also that the European Union organisation flag is never to be flown as this is not a national or state flag, recognised by westbury town council.

This motion was passed with 100% backing of all town councillors present.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Good.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
Does Westbury have a flag? (I mean a flag of Westbury, but that the town owns some random flag ;))
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Sector9

• Hugs: 41
  • The Dark Horse from the White Horse
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »
Yeah Westbury does, and Wiltshire does too. Should these not be flying also??
http:// 404 error - Sector9 not found

Offline Al

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
Where can one find this mysterious Westbury flag then?

Offline Sector9

• Hugs: 41
  • The Dark Horse from the White Horse
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 13:02:38 PM »
I seem to remeber one being presented to the Town Council a few years back - so my guess would be the Laverton...
http:// 404 error - Sector9 not found

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 14:09:54 PM »
Out of interest, will you be flying the flag of the Council of Europe (a non EU organisation)?  This is recognised by Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Hungary, Malta, Austria, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and the Slovak Republic as a National Flag?

Cheers

Mojo
 ;)

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 18:07:13 PM »
no the only flags that will be flown from the council building are the union flag of great britain and the st georges flag, when a guest arrives from another state to visit westbury  council
their national flag will be flown alongside of the union jack  flag so no the council of europes flag willnot be flown as its not a country the same as the eu its an organisation , a country is a state whereas the eu and the council of europe are not they are organisations, of fellow member states
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 18:10:14 PM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 19:52:14 PM »
As far as i can rememer, when the Westbury Flag was unveiled (Mike Hawkins was Mayor first time round and there were 2 made, 1 could be flown whilst the other one was being cleaned) there was an issue with flying the flag.   Believe it or not we need planning permission to fly the Westbury flag as it would be seen as a point of advertising for the town.   I have no idea how this has progressed as im not on the relevant committee but I will ask.   The orginal plan was for an extra flag pole by the library for the Westury Flag.   I will chase it up.

Offline Al

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 19:58:03 PM »
Does a picture of the flag exist?

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 20:52:34 PM »
see attached

[attachment deleted by admin after 365 days]
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 21:13:55 PM »
I would love to also the westbury flag flown at all times, as charlie has pointed out to fly this flag would need planning permission which I would guess whould not be an issue in gaining the permission and as this building comes under my area as a wiltshire cllr , I would most certainly very strongly support any such move by any cllr to put this in place

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 21:29:52 PM »
thank you Mike CM Im sure your input would be more than welcomed.

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 22:26:42 PM »
no the only flags that will be flown from the council building are the union flag of great britain and the st georges flag, when a guest arrives from another state to visit westbury  council
their national flag will be flown alongside of the union jack  flag so no the council of europes flag willnot be flown as its not a country the same as the eu its an organisation , a country is a state whereas the eu and the council of europe are not they are organisations, of fellow member states

You missed the point that I, with hindsight was poorly making.  The EU has no flag, it has permission to use the Council of Europe flag, equally within the United Kingdom enshrined in law since 2007  The Council of Europe flag is granted special status along with the UN flag and the Commonwealth Flag as equivalent to flags of sovereign nations.  You might want to consider that the United Kingdom does not have an official flag, the Union flag is used by convention and only since 1901. The UK has nearly official flags more than another nation although again since 1933 some of these require planning permission, for example the flag of St Perrin can only be flown in Cornwall without planning permission, fly it in Wiltshire and you need permission!
I clearly spend too much time worrying about flags and flag etiquette.

Cheers
Mojo

Offline Al

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 22:48:33 PM »
I have always said that when I get around to buying a house I will have my own flag pole. I had never considered you'd need planning permission for one though. Madness!