Author Topic: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag  (Read 10693 times)

cuthbert-murray

Re: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 22:49:27 PM »
thanks mojo. for the input , I did know this information the union flag of the UK is in many peoples concept the offical flag of our union with the different countries and principality of wales along side of the province of N Ireland  and any other Islands which make up the  UK in general, the whole point of the town council motion was to add civic pride in our country and when passing the Laverton the general public would be very much aware that this is the seat of democracy in Westbury where the elected representatives of Westbury reside to oversee our town in general.
The decision last night was a very much democratic one and was passed 100% by all atending clrs,
and the decision not to fly the Eu flag was very much that its not a country.

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 22:52:44 PM »
Al you do not now need planning permision to fly the union jack so go ahead the pole is irrevelant unless you are planning for some supersized display, you only need to gain permission to fly say ie the rainbow flag of something similar where it would be classed as advertising

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 23:00:04 PM »
I have always said that when I get around to buying a house I will have my own flag pole. I had never considered you'd need planning permission for one though. Madness!

As long as the pole is upright you don't need planning permission, however and this is where is really silly, if its at an angle from a building you do need permission.  In most cases common sense does generally apply, so if you want to fly the Union flag (this includes the Red Ensign), the flags of constituent countries of the UK, the Patron Saint flags (George, Andrew, David and Patrick), and the flags of the Council of Europe, UN or Commonwealth you do not require permission

Cheers

Mojo

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 23:02:04 PM »
Ace. Now I just need to buy a house... Thanks gents :)
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »
The decision last night was a very much democratic one and was passed 100% by all atending clrs,
and the decision not to fly the Eu flag was very much that its not a country.

Hows about a referendum asking if the residents of Westbury want to fly the EU flag over the Laverton or not?

Now that would be democracy wouldn't it?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Sector9

• Hugs: 41
  • The Dark Horse from the White Horse
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »
http:// 404 error - Sector9 not found

Offline Sector9

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
Union Flag / Union Jack - I hope you all know the difference  :)

Offline mojo

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
Union Flag / Union Jack - I hope you all know the difference 
Sure do, nothing but myth; its perfectly acceptable to call it either.

The decision last night was a very much democratic one and was passed 100% by all atending clrs, and the decision not to fly the Eu flag was very much that its not a country.
Where as the decision to legally recognise the Council of Europe flag as equivalent to a sovereign nation flag was made by the highest democratic body in the UK, Parliament.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as the resolution is pointless anyway, restrictions on flying national flags from public buildings only on flag flying days was lifted years ago.

Old list of approved flag flying days:
20 January  Birthday of The Countess of Wessex

6 February Her Majesty's Accession

19 February Birthday of The Duke of York

1 March St David's Day (in Wales only)

09 March  Commonwealth Day (second Monday in March)

10 March  Birthday of The Earl of Wessex

17 March  St. Patrick's Day (in Northern Ireland only)

21 April  Birthday of Her Majesty The Queen

23 April St George's Day (in England only)

9 May Europe Day

2 June Coronation Day

10 June Birthday of The Duke of Edinburgh

13 June Official Celebration of Her Majesty's Birthday

17 July Birthday of The Duchess of Cornwall

15 August Birthday of The Princess Royal

8 November Remembrance Day (second Sunday)

14 November Birthday of The Prince of Wales

20 November Her Majesty's Wedding Day

30 November St Andrew's Day (Scotland only)

Public building originally meant all publicly owned premises from Post Offices, town Halls, Military establishments to Government buildings.  Gradually it just came to mean government offices. IRC all restrictions on flying flags from public building were lifted in 2007, but I'm not sure.
This is almost as long and rambling as one of Baldys posts, so I apologise for going on & on & on...

Cheers

Mojo

Offline Al

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:55 AM »
This is almost as long and rambling as one of Baldys posts, so I apologise for going on & on & on...
But it is actually interesting and educational!

On a different tack, I love how various persons are so against flying the EU flag, but then they all for French/Italian markets in town. Surely we should just embrace our European friends, get over our old fashioned racist/phobic stigmas and move on? I'm of to buy a Council of Europe flag to fly, err, somewhere! :)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
IIRC you can have the EU flag on the number plate of your car but not the Union flag.  :-\

I agree with Al, move on and accept that we are in the EU and embrace it. To fight it will only be to the detriment of the country.

Next: get rid of the pound and change to the Euro - NOW!

I'm pissed off losing money every time I go to Europe and have to change currency! commision free maybe, but exchange rate crap!
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Al

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
Isn't Westbury twinned with a town in France too? We should drop that if teh town council is so anti-European.

Offline Sector9

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »
Union Flag / Union Jack - I hope you all know the difference 
Sure do, nothing but myth; its perfectly acceptable to call it either.

Really? I've tried to find out about it but Wiki is vague as ever. How do you know it's a myth?  :)

Offline mojo

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
Really? I've tried to find out about it but Wiki is vague as ever. How do you know it's a myth?
Popular convention has it that the recognised flag of the UK is the Union Flag, up until 1901 the only recognised national flag was the Royal Standard, the Union Flag is the Flag of the Lord High Admiral of the Fleet and not of the UK. This is why British Ships fly either a red, blue or white ensign (there is also an equivalent ensign for aircraft that they are supposed to fly after landing overseas, see attached picture).

The current Lord High Admiral... is the Queen. Because of this the union flag is flown from the jack (forward) staff of ships to show they are under command of the Lord High... (Union Flag on jack staff = Union Jack) When She is on board this flag is moved to one of the main masts along with the Royal Standard.

The Union flag has been refered to as both the Union Flag of GT Briatin and Northern Ireland and as the Union Jack in many acts of parliament, in other words the Union Jack is an acceptable name for the flag for the Union of Gt Britain and Northern Ireland, but it does not have any formal status as the offical flag of the UK.

There are 3 important dates for UK flags:

1901: Until this time the only recognised flag for the UK was the Royal Standard, After the death of Queen Victoria, King Edward decreed that the Royal Standard was the personal standard of the monarch and could only be flown in the monarchs presence.  Before this the Union flag was used primarily by the Army with the Red Ensign used on other buildings ( for some reason particularly in Scotland). This is why the flags of many former empire countries have the union jack in the top left corner (Aus, NZ (blue ensigns)and at one time Canada (Red Ensign)).

1933: Planning laws introduced that included regulations of some types of flag poles and restrictions on types of flags that could be flown.

2007: Act of parliament that gave formal recognition to flags of other states and 3 other organisations (Council of Europe, United Nations and Commonwealth). It recognised the Union Jack as the de facto flag of the UK but does not confer any status to it. PLEASE NOTE that the Council of Europe flag is not the EU flag.  The EU does not have any flag at all, it has permission to use the Council of Europe flag. The Council of Europe and the EU are not even related organisations

We are one of the few countries that does not give its national flag any legal status.

[attachment deleted by admin after 365 days]

cuthbert-murray

Offline thatmanfez

• Hugs: 17
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 21:34:46 PM »
Ok... Thanks for the wiki copiers, you are all there or there abouts. The Union flag has been the ratified flag of our nation for a long time...
The flag we call the union flag is the national flag of the UK, it has been our flag since 1600 ish. In the early days it was sometimes referred to as a jack. Technically, to be a jack it needs to be flown off the jack staff (the yard (flag pole) above the bow of a ship (sometimes amidships)). It was used in the RN for a long time before it was common in the UK (the royal standard used to be the perceived flag of the UK). The whole flag/jack thing is largely irrelevant to many people... But to those in the RN know that the flag of our country is the Union Flag!!!

Fez
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 21:37:18 PM by thatmanfez »
What came first - The McChicken Sandwich, or the Egg McMuffin?