Author Topic: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag  (Read 10704 times)

cuthbert-murray

Re: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 21:52:37 PM »
thankyou fez thats what i have been refering it as in this post, apart from a silly comment earlier about being anti european at the council , as I layed the motion I would like to add I love Europe  but hate the EU  for the undemocratic way it operates.
no to beaurocracy and non open systems of governing ,I believe that everyone has the right to vote and say who governs them and has the right to remove those people from power when the elections come up, or sooner by  way of a no confidence by the electorate , If a majority of my constistuents, felt they no longer wanted me then I would be happy to step down and let  them have a byelection.
this is not the way off the european union in the european commision which is not accountable or removable by any persons in the general public
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 22:11:16 PM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
  but hate the EU  for the undemocratic way it operates.
no to beaurocracy and non open systems of governing ,I believe that everyone has the right to vote and say who governs them and has the right to remove those people from power when the elections come up,

Not sure what you mean. The European parliament is formed much the same as our own national parliament. i.e. elections every 5 years where every one can vote and stand for election. No more or less democratic that our system.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
You are not anti European, but say you wont fly the flag of Europe, for reasons that it is now clear are muddled and confused (to steal a favoured local phrase). I think it is time the town council woke up, realised that they have in fact been hypocritical and have made an arse of themselves and sorted it out. Frankly.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
You are not anti European, but say you wont fly the flag of Europe, for reasons that it is now clear are muddled and confused (to steal a favoured local phrase). I think it is time the town council woke up, realised that they have in fact been hypocritical and have made an arse of themselves and sorted it out. Frankly.

Al,

Just to correct a point. The town council discussed the possibility of flying the Union Flag.

NO discussion took place regarding the EU flag.
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Al

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
Ah, I read from MCMs's first comment as that it had been. I guess that was just his personnel view. Please accept my apologies!

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 13:40:56 PM »
tonight I layed a motion at the full town council that the laverton flies the union flag and the Flag of St George at all time , where a visiting country visits westbury their national flag to be flown alongside that of the union flag of Great Britain, also that the European Union organisation flag is never to be flown as this is not a national or state flag, recognised by westbury town council.
Just to correct a point. The town council discussed the possibility of flying the Union Flag. NO discussion took place regarding the EU flag.

These two statments don't appear to align.

I'm with Al on this one.

Cheers

Mojo

Offline Mike Hawkins

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 18:28:23 PM »
I was at the meeting. The subject of the EU flag was NOT raised.

Perhaps Mike C-M would like to explain his earlier post.

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 20:32:04 PM »
I would suggest fellow cllrs should now check the minutes from mondays meeting.
the Eu flag was apart of that motion and it was passed 100% with the town clerk to get costings for flag poles to be used from the windows instead of having to get a cherry picker.

What i have posted is correct and my motion was seconded by cllr Tout and then all cllrs voted in favour.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 20:37:34 PM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2009, 20:39:31 PM »
Sounds like a parliamentary session. Half the house was probably sleeping.

When asked to vote they just nodded but were really dropping off.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 20:44:20 PM »
The whole point of motions once they are seconded by another cllr its then up to cllrs should they wish to debate the motion ie for and against !  if there is no debate and everyone agrees and votes for then it goes through.

Offline Al

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 20:45:28 PM »
Are the minutes from the meeting make available to us Joe Publics?

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 21:01:15 PM »
yes they are, you can ring and ask for them

Offline Mike Hawkins

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 21:02:57 PM »
Councillors can only debate a motion laid before it. The motion laid by Mike C-M states:

"To discuss and decide on flying the national flag alongside the St. George's flag at times on the Laverton building. The clerk to make arrangements should this be decided with immediate effect."

No amendment to this motion was laid, and therefore this motion (and this motion only) was voted on. Mike got 100% support.

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 22:36:09 PM »
the above relates to what was on the agenda , when it came to me to present this item I read the full motion as just the agenda only had the headline motion.
It is for cllr's to listen and pay attention to what is being presented when that cllr lays verbally what the motion intails , if there is a part of the motion not favoured by members it is then debated and if changes required an ammendent can be made, on this occasion the full motion was read out for the whole chamber to hear clearly no ammendments where made and subsequently the motion passed through if cllrs had not been  paying full attention to what was being verbaly layed before them i would suggest they could place another motion before the council to be considered.

Offline Al

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »
So two things come from this:

1) It appears councillors don't pay attention and either vote things through they don't actually realise they are voting on, or think they are voting on more than they are.

2) The town council has either chosen chosen to make a deliberate snub to the hundreds of EU nationals that help to make up Westbury, through links both directly with the town (twinning, markets, etc) and through work within the town (railways and trading estates), or at least members of the town council would wish to do so.

I find the prospect of both very troubling.