Author Topic: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag  (Read 10685 times)

Offline westbury chap

• Hugs: 1
Re: town council to fly the flag except the EU flag
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2009, 13:38:22 PM »
does that mean westbury council is not democratic as three of its memebers have not been voted on?

Online baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2009, 14:41:26 PM »
This thread is getting ridiculous with really quite stupid comments.

Mike C-M has clearly explained the recent town council resolution to fly the St George flag and the Union Jack at all times (when we can get suitable arrangements in place - including a safe way to actually manage the process of putting the flags up and down) and to fly the flag of another country if Westbury receives a visiting dignatory from another nation and to never fly the EU flag (as the EU is not a country).

The purpose of flying the relevant flags is partly to increase recognition that The Laverton is our official town hall.

All town councillors have been democratically elected, but by different ways:

Most were elected in contested ordinary elections or by-elections.
Some were co-opted via a contested vote of town councillors after the town's electors chose to not have by-elections when seats became vacant.
Some were "elected" according to Local Government Election Law by default in uncontested elections back in May 2007 (ie. because of there being less candidates than seats at the time).
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 17:08:56 PM »
There is nothing "stupid" about this thread Russell. That is "stupid" is the apparent lack of understanding of flags by persons seeking to make a silly political statement by way of excluding the "EU flag". Had it just been a motion to fly the Union Jack, St George's cross and the national flag of a visiting dignitary, then no one would have batted an eye lid and indeed most would have fully supported the move. As it is though, its just petty small town politics IMO.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 17:43:31 PM »
This thread is getting ridiculous with really quite stupid comments.

The only thing ridiculous and stupid about this thread is MCM including in his motion never to fly the EU flag because it is not a national flag!

Why specifically mention that? He might have just said no other flag which isn't a national flag to be flown.

Al is right, MCM is just making a personal political statement which, it appears, the rest of the town council agree with!

I wonder if he would be happy to fly the flag of, say Iran, which is not a democratic country, if an Iranian dignatory was to visit Westbury?

Politics should not come into local council decisions!

It wouldn't bother me if the EU flag was flown over the Laverton next to the Union Jack. After all we are part of the EU like it or not!
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2009, 19:29:35 PM »
I have to agree with the two comments above, the only thing that I found irritating was the specific exclusion of one particular flag irrespective of what it was perceived to represent.  I too would have been far happier just to see a motion that stated an intention just to fly the Union flag at all times and other national flags during a visit.
Having set a precedent with the Council Of Europe flag  I would assume that the same must now apply to the flag of the International Committee of the Red Cross, The Flag of the Order of St John, The Flag of the UN, the Wiltshire Flag etc...

Cheers

Mojo

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2009, 20:17:49 PM »
I have to agree with the two comments above, the only thing that I found irritating was the specific exclusion of one particular flag irrespective of what it was perceived to represent.  I too would have been far happier just to see a motion that stated an intention just to fly the Union flag at all times and other national flags during a visit.

Mojo

I think I would agree with you on this. This is what I was agreeing to.
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2009, 21:30:44 PM »
well i will stick to my motion whether that upsets some .shame others are now backpeddling quickly when it becomes an issue some dont agree with. ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:21:27 AM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline Sector9

• Hugs: 41
  • The Dark Horse from the White Horse
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
Yeah I think it was just an unfortunately worded motion. It makes more sense to put forward a motion of things you want to do rather than things you don't want to do (if that makes sense). As was mentioned before, there are lots of other flags that you might not want to fly for various reasons, such as pirate flags and the Cornish flag.
http:// 404 error - Sector9 not found

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2009, 15:57:47 PM »
I don't think it was  unfortunately worded. I think it was deliberately worded to make a silly political statement. And the other councillors present either mis-understood it or totally agreed with it!
So we will never now see the EU flag (or a pirate flag  ;))flying from the Laverton. (who cares?)
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!