Author Topic:  (Read 6728 times)

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« on: March 10, 2010, 15:56:54 pm »
For such an innocuous stretch of motorway, it is fast gaining a fearsome reputation.

In little more than five weeks, this three-mile length of road cutting through the scenic borderlands of North-West England has smashed the British record for speed camera victims.

An astonishing 5,569 motorists have been caught breaking the 50mph speed limit by the fixed cameras at roadworks at a junction of the M6 near Carlisle. :o

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1256738/Speed-camera-trap-M6-racing-record-3m-haul-fines.html#ixzz0hn1tkdD6

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 18:31:42 pm »
No comment!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 19:27:36 pm »
Nice way to pay for the roadworks.

Having just driven up the M6 to Liverpool yesterday, I think I'll avoid the motorway when I come back. More than half of it is being dug up with 50mph limits backed up with average speed camera's ! Very frustrating.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:49 am »
When I drove up to Warrington last month I'd have been quite happy to be doing 50mph!
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:21 am »
Nice way to pay for the roadworks.

Having just driven up the M6 to Liverpool yesterday, I think I'll avoid the motorway when I come back. More than half of it is being dug up with 50mph limits backed up with average speed camera's ! Very frustrating.

thanks for the tip bob  we are going up m4  m5  m6 on saturday    ...might give it a miss if its as bad as that :( we are off to warrington  wimslow and macclesfield

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 16:25:17 pm »
stupidly DIDNT give the m4 m5 or m6 the miss  :( and those 50 speed restrictions and cameras were a pain in the arse big time... grrrrr  just go there in wimslow... left just after 10 15 :(

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 17:38:28 pm »
stupidly DIDNT give the m4 m5 or m6 the miss  :( and those 50 speed restrictions and cameras were a pain in the arse big time... grrrrr  just go there in wimslow... left just after 10 15 :(

HM Treasury will love you!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:29 am »
stupidly DIDNT give the m4 m5 or m6 the miss  :( and those 50 speed restrictions and cameras were a pain in the arse big time...

Told Ya.

Not so bad coming back south though.
What gets me is although you be a good boy and drive at 50mph (I use cruise control) and I cannot afford points on my licence or a fine anyway, a good 80% of cars and lorries cruise past you at 60mph plus. Are they stupid? or do they know something I don't? If they are stupid, by the time they get to their destination they probably wont have a licence to drive in a few months time????

Offline Al

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:18:21 am »
Bob - the average car speedo reads 8% slow. The camera's have to have a 10% allowance, so in theory you can drive at a speedo speed of 59.4mph and still not be done.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 19:18:37 pm »
yeah better coming back home...   btu why hide some of those blleding cameras behind the pillars on the bridges so you can see them until your near enough on top of them...

hopefully im ok and wont get any fines.....   maybe one if anything.... hers my fingers crossed anyway

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:43 am »
Bob - the average car speedo reads 8% slow. The camera's have to have a 10% allowance, so in theory you can drive at a speedo speed of 59.4mph and still not be done.

I'm not risking that !

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

HM Treasury will love you!

hopefully they wont love me too much....  lol  might have caught me the once, im not sure.... car said 53 but sat nav said 45 ..id be more inclined to belive the car but you can never tell.....  guessing i shall have to wait and see wont i?  wonder how long before you get a fine drop through the door if youre going to get one. im usually pretty good at sticking to guidelines on the whole and havent yet had a ticket for speeding ... so waitng with baited breath this week  lol
a journey that should have taken 3 hours 42 mins actually took nearly 6 hours :(     god no wonder my back was aching even though we did a few potty stops  :(   didnt take so long coming back as the works and restrictions werent so often or so long....  least the slow speeds were a chance to give the car a rest.. the speed restriction was 50 but to be honest it would have been nice if we were able to have done as much as 50.... at times it was 30 which was a pain...all it needs is one to do 30 and it slows everyone else down completely. i never understood why the elderly go on the motorways if they want to toodle along at 30 miles an hour to be honest..... everything else is going a lot faster and you tend to go with the flow...
they certainly slowed the majority or vehicles down... but there was still some idiots who whizzed past us and out of sight  ::) they obviously didnt know  what the signs were all about or just couldnt care less... and didnt mind about speeding fines at all   ::)

Offline Al

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:33:27 am »

I'm not risking that !
Better yet Bob, you will note the cameras are all forward facing (so they can get drivers faces). My motorbike, like all motorbikes, has no plate on the front ;)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 15:59:21 pm »
hopefully they wont love me too much....  lol  might have caught me the once, im not sure.... car said 53 but sat nav said 45 ..id be more inclined to belive the car but you can never tell..... 

Going by Al's calculations you'll be fine ok.

I'm not so sure they actually 'do' anyone anyway. The signs say 'average speed check' so maybe they are just monitoring rather than 'doing' - I dunno.
It's all planned to fool you and intimidate you!

Offline Al

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 16:36:00 pm »
Bob, I know people that have been "done". Its not how fast you are going at the point of the camera (though apparently they can be used as static speed traps too), its how long it takes to go between cameras. Do 60mph between and stop on the hard shoulder for a minute if you want...