Author Topic: Hillsborough disaster  (Read 38582 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Hillsborough disaster
« on: June 28, 2010, 21:56:11 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290323/Minister-apologises-Hillsborough-slur-victims-mother-labels-disgrace.html

Oh dear .....

But, surely the root of the problem was fans pushing and shoving in the first place.

Yes, the Police made stupid decisions about letting far too many fans into a small pen just as the match was about to start which muliplied the problem into a disaster, but if people had not pushed into each other there would have been a big problem but not a terrible disaster.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 23:06:50 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Re: Hillsborough disaster WAS caused by oafs pushing and shoving!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 19:58:07 PM »
But it was essential, politically, to blame everybody but those who actually caused the problem.
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: Hillsborough disaster WAS caused by pushing and shoving!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 22:44:41 PM »
Looks like your opinions have gotten you into a spot of bother, hey Baldy.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 22:49:36 PM »
Today was definitely the hottest day of the year so far, and I don't mean the weather. My Blog took over 500 hits today and most were referrals from the Liverpool FC site.

I've had to tighten up all privacy settings ... online ... offline ... everything. I might need a bodyguard as well ...
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 23:10:23 PM »
the hillsborough disaster of 1989 was by no means the first time football supporters had encountered problems at this specific ground.
the turnstyles frequently could not cope with the number of people awaiting admittance and inside the ground there were recurrent incidents of crushings at the leppings lane end.

the first recorded incident took place in 1981 during the football association FA  cup semi final fixture between wolerhampton wanderers football club and tottenham hotspur football club , in spite of having a larger than avereage following, spurs supporters were given fewer tickets than the wolves and were also allocated the 10,100 capacity lepping lanesend.
 within minutes of the game starting  a crush developed in the stand and 38 spurs supporters were injured. on this ocassion the polce allowed the affected supporters acces to to the pitch.
following this incident the FA opted to select other venues to host the FA cup semi finals for the next 6 years .
stadium owners , shefield wednesday were promoted to make significant changes to the leppings lane  end.
south yorkshire police suggested a reduction in overall capacity could be distributed equally and evenly across the terrace
lateral fences were errected on the terrace to create five penned areas.
Despite these changes , there was no reassessmant of leppings lane end capacity .
The individual pen capacitywere carved carved from the 10,100 figurethere was niether any system to count the number of fans entering each pen nor any system to warn when a pen had reached its capacity.
new ideas were drafted to resolve these issues but never implemented .
It was not until 1987 , that the problems resurfaced when the FA again chose hillbsborough to host the FA cup semi final
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 23:14:25 PM by cuthbert-murray »

Offline Sector9

• Hugs: 41
  • The Dark Horse from the White Horse
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 13:29:10 PM »
Oh dear - shouldn't have said that Russell!
http:// 404 error - Sector9 not found

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline JFT96

• Hugs: 0
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 16:35:41 PM »

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 16:44:30 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 20:07:35 PM by pat »

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 19:34:29 PM »
I have to say this time Russell has not just stepped over the line, he has jumped over it.   Totally unnecessary, insensitive and downright insulting.   I have a friend who had a cousin lost in this disaster and I know she would happily bite off his gentlemans bits and chew them in front of him.   I'm glad I'm not in Russells shoes at the minute.

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 20:06:53 PM »
i wonder if baldy has gone into hiding,might be a good idel me thinks :(

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 20:09:27 PM »
oh dear russell you dont seem to have made many new friends there have you???

maybe a bit of sensitivity about the subject wouldnt have come amiss... we know youre not know for being sensitive but a lot of people died that day under distressing circumstances, and some may never be the same after witnessing it at first hand.   

i must admit to agreeing with a lot of the comments on the echo's piece about you to be honest.  you even seem to have agrevated a fair amount of westburys own people judging by the posts on there.  There is quite a few liverpool fans in westbury and some with bad reputations as it is....  hope they dont get to hear of you and your comments because you just might need those bodyguards you mentioned

i wonder if baldy has gone into hiding,might be a good idel me thinks :(
probably a good idea

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 20:44:13 PM »
omg  thats 10 pages on the liverpool football club site......

he'd better go careful they dont desend on westbury in coach loads

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 21:28:29 PM »
Im Afraid it is going to be hitting certain news papers tmoro , the scale of this is somewhat exsplosive ,
today in town  members of the public are savage about this ! I can not defend Russells comments as they are totally alien to my own on this issue , Hillsborough was a complete tragedy .
And to say a few weeks away might be the best thing for russell till it dies down , next week i can say it will crank up even more when the wiltshire times and the white horse news run this story