Author Topic: Water meters mixed up  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Artylad

• Hugs: 19
Water meters mixed up
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
Can you believe that I've just found out that our water meter has been mixed up with next doors and that we have been paying there water consumption all the time we've lived here.They were a family of four to 5 as opposed to just us two  >:( That's about six years worth of overpayment.

The only reason i found out was next door has been empty for about 7 months and we had a letter from the water company saying that they think our water meter might be broken as it's only showing so many cubic thingys (lol) which is drastically lower than our normal usage. So i put two and two together and read next doors water meter which hey presto matched the readings on the letter. Unbelievable :o :o :o The thing is i also rang them about a couple of years ago because i thought something was wrong with the meter because the bill seemed to be so high.She sent someone out who took a quick look and said that it was fine and that its because we are using alot of water. I was so frustrated trying to explain to the lady that there was only two of us and that we were very careful with baths and washing machines watering the garden so on and so forth. Next door has even had a watering system put in for there garden lol  :o They must've of been thinking blimey the water bills good aint it. Anyway waiting for an outcome.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: Water meters mixed up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:15:52 AM »
They should be able to look at "next doors" reading from when yo moved in and work it all out. Good luck!
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Artylad

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:20:15 AM »
Yup that's what they said  ;)

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:51 PM »
Tee hee.  I don't envy the water company employee who has to deal with next door's former occupant about a massive backdated bill... I suspect that they'll have to write off at least some of it, if your former neighbour complains loudly enough.  You can look forward to a substantial refund, though - let us know what happens.

John (formerly Regulation & Policy Manager, Thames Water)

Offline Artylad

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
I certainly will. I don't think they can ask them to pay up can they.Like you said i think they will have to write it off for them.

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 16:46:53 PM »
Well, I'd advise writing it off - but they might try it on and I'm not sure what the legal position would be.  Not your problem, fortunately!

Offline Artylad

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
Still no cheque yet. Letters yes but money no grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
sounds like you had better keep reminding them arty...  phone them up. dont let them forget you.   firms like that are quick enough to take your money but not so quick in returning it

Offline Artylad

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
Don't worry Debs i did  :P And i said theres 5 years worth of over payment due and i want my money back.

Offline Artylad

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 13:10:35 PM »
Just rang them again on why it seemed to be taking so long for me to get my money back. Basically i got a lot of waffle and assurance that any overpayment that had been made would be refunded but further investigation was needed. She did let slip that next doors neighbours meter that i assumed was mixed with ours was mixed with someone down the road? So infact our meter readings came from next door and theirs came from someone else? What an absoloute balls up.

I said do you know how long this process is going to take and she said no and was there some hurry? I said that if it was a years overpayment then no but as it's five years worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok rant over :-*

justice

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 13:33:00 PM »
Google OFWAT and put a complaint in. You'll be waiting ages.

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 13:36:15 PM »
I would say Artylad time for your solicitor to get involved , and see what they say about this matter , also I would straight away send them a county court summons for non payment , should be enough to get your money back extremley quickly, good luck m8

justice

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 13:44:15 PM »
Yeah you can issue a county course summons on line as well........it's called money claim online

cuthbert-murray

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 14:16:56 PM »

justice

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 14:36:19 PM »
 ;D Don't blame you! Pay up or face the consequences!