Author Topic: Standards Board and code of conduct for councillors to be scrapped  (Read 27652 times)

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
Re: Standards Board and code of conduct for councillors to be scrapped
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2010, 18:00:54 PM »
i see you have attracted your usual followers after your post

Offline pat

• Hugs: 50
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 18:19:13 PM »
Riviting Stuff ::)

Offline sclarkson

• Hugs: 24
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 19:16:50 PM »
Odd how the Wiltshire Times hasn't removed all the posts full of unproven wild accusations. You would think they would be worried about getting sued.

Offline wanderlust

• Hugs: 29
  • My favourite vegetable is a rump steak
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »
They have just removed all posts on that subject
Please would you walk a little faster, or get the f*** out of my way.

Offline sclarkson

• Hugs: 24
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
I e-mailed them, unsurprising as some were libellous.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2010, 15:49:13 PM »
http://bit.ly/aL9FD1

The above link will download a Word 2007 document from the new First-Tier Tribunals (ie. Judicial Tribunals) website.

This is a brand new judicial tribunal decision dealing with a councillor's right to freedom of expression and it follows the logic taken by the High Court during the appeal won by London Mayor Ken Livingstone in 2006.

If I understand this case correctly, the complainant was the Standards Committee of South Holland District Council (effectively on behalf of others) who referred the matter to the Standards Board for England (now calling itself "Standards for England") who undertook an investigation.

They dismissed most of the allegations but referred what they regarded as a serious matter to a hearing of the new First Tier Tribunal.

The First-Tier Tribunal is the new system of Judicial tribunals set up by the Government last year.

The original Adjudication Panel for England was an independent tribunal system dealing with serious Standards Board cases, but that has now closed and the work has been transferred to the new "First-Tier Tribunal General Regulatory Chamber (Local Standards in England)"

The judge was Simon Bird QC.  I have met him and watched him sit on a complex Adjudication Panel for England case dealing with a local councillor (who was exonerated) a few years ago.

He was always regarded as their best judge and now he has presided over a clear landmark Tribunal decision in the sense of detailing the relevant law that applies to this sort of case, though in this particular case there was insufficient evidence and the case was thrown out.

I think Mr Bird is just making sure that the opportunity is not missed to get the relevant law written into a tribunal case so that any future cases dealing with freedom of expression have a clear starting point.

The case is about freedom of expression.

I'm in no doubt that the Standards Board will be thinking long and hard before it attempts to try to say that I have a case to answer  ......

:-)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 15:50:48 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline baldy

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2010, 16:09:35 PM »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline baldy

« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
It's official ....

The Standards Board has thrown out all the recent allegations made about me by the Hillsborough campaigners / Liverpool FC fans.

They have decided that there is nothing worth investigating and will take no action on the matter.

I'll put up more detail when I see the official decision notice which should arrive later today.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
It's official ....

The Standards Board has thrown out all the recent allegations made about me by the Hillsborough campaigners / Liverpool FC fans.

They have decided that there is nothing worth investigating and will take no action on the matter.

I'll put up more detail when I see the official decision notice which should arrive later today.

TFFT      [app] [app] [app] [app]   maybe now they will all dissapear from where they came from and leave you and this forum alone now  :)   unless of course the nicer ones want to stay and be pleasent and join in with us not against you and our lovely town.. not all were complete morons....just a few   ::)     :-X         

Offline wanderlust

• Hugs: 29
  • My favourite vegetable is a rump steak
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Well done. I think you have gained more support, both personally & as a councillor from all this than any amount of canvassing would ever get. [app] [app] [app] [app] [app]
Please would you walk a little faster, or get the f*** out of my way.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2010, 11:09:49 AM »
Good news.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
 ;D Well done!

Don't let all the praise go to your head!! lol  ::)
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline baldy

« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »
I've now received the official decision notice.

It rambles on giving the opinion of one Standards for England officer about how this matter verges close to the line between being a matter of Freedom of Expression and disrespect under the Code.

I think the details that quote the Taylor Report identifying elements of hooliganism will upset the Liverpool FC fans more than anything else I can say on this topic, so I've decided not to copy and paste the Decision Notice up anywhere.

Offline baldy

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2010, 16:58:43 PM »
A copy of the Press Release I have issued:

Standards for England has thrown out all the allegations and decided to take no action (ie. no investigation is needed).

The fact that all the allegations have been thrown out as soon as the Standards Board took a good look at them means that there was no case for me to answer in the first place.

My long and clean record as a councillor who is not afraid to speak my mind or the truth still stands, and I'm still the most exonerated councillor in Wiltshire.

Special edit to show the outcome of all the smears and nonsense put here by Liverpool FC fans and other smear campaigners:

Here is the Statement I issued on 16 July 2010:
http://russellhawker.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/a-statement-on-my-hillsborough-comments/

Update as at 29 October 2010:

See: http://www.westburytownforums.co.uk/index.php/topic,2628.msg37756.html#msg37756

The Wiltshire Times has published a very small article on page 4 today headed: "Hawker cleared".

There is no picture and it only takes up about 2 inches of one column, which is in stark contrast to all their other stories claiming that I'd done something wrong via half a page or so so of drivel stated by some smear campaigner or another.

I'll put up a link if they put it online. 

All it says is:

"Hawker cleared"

Wiltshire councillor Russell Hawker has been cleared by the local government watchdog, Standards for England, following his comments in June that hooligans were one of the root causes of the Hillsborough disaster.

Standards for England said Cllr Hawker was entitled to express his views even if the way he chooses to do so may appear to some to be "ill-informed, objectionable and insensitive".

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:57:50 AM by baldy »