Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 2321 times)

Offline wanderlust

• Hugs: 29
  • My favourite vegetable is a rump steak
Public Transport
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Please would you walk a little faster, or get the f*** out of my way.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
Re: Public Transport
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
Yes, 'they' do. By they I assume you mean the government. Unfortunately because the railways are now privately owned the government has no or very little control over the prices. The railways priority is to run for shareholder profits now not provide a public service.

Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 13:04:43 PM »
thats exactly what i have always said... if the government want us to use public transport it has to be more convenient  to use, better time schedule, comfier, cleaner and more reliable that it is at the moment. and of course CHEAPER.. i used to find the train prices to warrington were horrendous depending on the day and time you wanted to leave and return...    if you care to go back months in posts you will see some i did on this subject before... a train journey to warrington cost x amount of pounds and i pre booked my seat but arrived to find it already taken and he refused to move even when i said i had recently had an operation and shouldnt be standing for  my journey especially as i had already paid for my seat and had ticket with the seat number on it....  he still refused and the conductor refused to get him to move either... i ended up sitting next to the filthy stinking toilets for most of the journey even when it broke down..  eventually the conductor allowed us into the EMPTY first class compartments as our journey ended up taking over 6 hours :(   last train trip i took.....   i got a friend to give me a couple of lessons on the m4 and the following fortnight i drove there myself....  the journey to newcastle wasnt so horrendous but very expensive  and the times in between the trains were very tight and a tremendous rush especially when you dont know what ur doing or which platform youre supposed to be on

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 13:13:56 PM »
99.50 for the single, 103.20 for the return. Its still not a great value, but as a return it isn't quite so bad.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 13:43:37 PM »
We are talking about Bradford in Yorkshire aren't we? Not Bradford up the road. ;)

wikiwilts

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 21:06:10 PM »
Yes, 'they' do. By they I assume you mean the government. Unfortunately because the railways are now privately owned the government has no or very little control over the prices. The railways priority is to run for shareholder profits now not provide a public service.
Providing a good service does not depend on whether a company is privately- or state-owned.

The government "takeover" of Railtrack to produce Network Rail has not resulted in too many improvements:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351296/Rail-bosses-probed-use-public-funds.html

That is not to say that I think BR should have been privatised in the first place. However there are EU directives involved.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 15:23:18 PM »
Providing a good service does not depend on whether a company is privately- or state-owned.

True, but the pricing structure might be better and easier to understand. There's always the argument that if the railways were state owned the taxpayer subsidises it. Whereas privately owned only the passengers pay. Which would you prefer? more tax or let those who use the trains pay for it.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 20:03:09 PM »

True, but the pricing structure might be better and easier to understand. There's always the argument that if the railways were state owned the taxpayer subsidises it. Whereas privately owned only the passengers pay. Which would you prefer? more tax or let those who use the trains pay for it.

I agree in principle Bob, BUT, the rail companies do receive subsidies.
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy