Author Topic: Question for Russel?  (Read 12212 times)

Offline Phippin

• Hugs: 1
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: Question for Russel?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 20:26:35 PM »
The two Tories who no longer live in the town should resign.

Could you make clear apart from Russell and Cuthbert-Murray who else was a Conservative. So much drama at the council makes it hard to follow.

Bill Braid?

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 20:27:23 PM »
You are right Mike and i unreservedly apologise for being a thick mere mortal who struggles to understand electricity, but i have cured my fear of the light switch, its not magic after all.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 20:48:01 PM »

The real reason why the Laverton is a successful project is because I brought in John Parker, our project officer, who has been doing all the key strategic and vision work plus applying for grants very successfully.

Strange, I thought this would have been the decision of the Laverton Committee or the full Town Council, NOT an individual Councillor!!

Mike

After the hall was closed to the public and the manager was laid off, which was the end result of Ian Taylor's misguided attempts to chair the Laverton Committee (because he applied for the wrong grants against my advice - as set out in the business plan adopted unanimously by the town council in 2006), I asked the committee to use a project manager to advise on the way forward.

After the committee failed to find anyone suitable outside the council, I simply suggested in a committee meeting that we use John Parker. This was agreed by the committee and John wrote a basic report making clear that the way forward was actually the same as set out in the 2006 business plan albeit with more emphasis on a wider range of grants as by 2008 the Heritage Lottery Grant pot had shrunk and become more difficult to obtain.

Then the committee recommended that John Parker was put on a contract for the Laverton project and full town council agreed.

When I said that I brought in the project manager, I simply mean that it was my idea and that I got the committee to agree with me.

This is how things get done at the town council and I am perfectly correct to claim the credit for my action in bringing about the correct circumstances for the project to be successful --- ie. no more chance for any committee chairman to foul up the project because we now have a project manager who knows what to do.

MIKE - you are starting to sound very much like a bitter critic of the council now that you have left.

You will just make yourself look bitter and twisted at not being Mayor for a third year if you keep this up.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 20:49:38 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline baldy

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 20:52:36 PM »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline baldy

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 20:53:29 PM »
True, Russell would rather have all decisions taken by the council and school in private. He doesn't think his own electorate are very bright, less consultation means less meddling. He would actually prefer every decision to be made by him and him alone.

This is pure nonsense and untrue.

All decisions of any substance by all councils are made in public unless there is a commercial or confidentiality reason to do otherwise.

I think the school is a different matter and all governor meetings are in private. Obviously, the Minutes are available to the public. I did have doubts about putting school Minutes on the web as there is a real risk that some people will misunderstand issueas and run amock on the internet ....

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 20:57:25 PM by baldy »

Offline Phippin

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 20:57:04 PM »
Whilst you do seem to have played a key role in the main successes lately Russell, blowing your own trumpet (as you so often do) gives the impression that your role is more about ego than public service.

Perhaps what miffed Mike is your lack of praise for anyone else whilst unseemly boasting.

Offline baldy

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 21:00:40 PM »
Whilst you do seem to have played a key role in the main successes lately Russell, blowing your own trumpet (as you so often do) gives the impression that your role is more about ego than public service.

Perhaps what miffed Mike is your lack of praise for anyone else whilst unseemly boasting.

There is a lot more to this matter than you realise.

Your comments are mainly a potshot for no good reason.

I am simply explaining the truth.

I am the only person to have sat on the committee continuously since the start. I have been responsible for many major decisions - or rather getting the committee to agree on the right way to proceed or writing the business plan for the council twice.

My contribution in moving the project forward is way more than anyone else .... aprt from the current chairman who has actually done a lot of work though he cannot claim correctly to have come up with any plans or strategy himself as the strategy was in place before he became chairman.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 21:02:20 PM by baldy »

Offline baldy

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 21:07:48 PM »
To be fair the quote I used was not Russells, you would have to ask him his views.   But, if the TC is prepared to issue daft Political statements attacking a certain party (no matter which party) makes you wonder.   In my mind the TC is there to represent the electorate and deal as efficiently as possible with Town Business, not be seen to get into a political slagging match, especially as so many Councillors have stated "there is no place for party politics at Westbury Town Council".

Charlie

The Council Statement was in response to an unprecedented attack on the council based largely on untrue and misleading claims made by members of one political party, Conservatives - ie. John Clegg and Stephen Andrews ... who both lied through their teeth to discredit other councillors.

This is despicable and the town council is perfectly entitled to issue a statement of FACTS to explain to people who must be wondering what the hell is going on when people from inside and outside the council are having a pop left right and centre.

Charlie -- you are really starting to stir things for no good reason. You yourself left the council with a bang because you did not get you way with one issue ... though I think your real reasons were personal as you had other important commitments outside the council too.

It is deeply unhelpful for more stirs to occur on top of the very unhelpful comments from Mike Hawkins and the incredibly irresponsible stunt and stir made by Francis Morland, which attracted criticism of the town council as well.

As a serving councillor, I am simply defending the council and its actions so that people understand and know what is really happening.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 21:12:15 PM by baldy »

Offline Phippin

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 21:09:07 PM »
True, Russell would rather have all decisions taken by the council and school in private. He doesn't think his own electorate are very bright, less consultation means less meddling. He would actually prefer every decision to be made by him and him alone.

This is pure nonsense and untrue.

All decisions of any substance by all councils are made in public unless there is a commercial or confidentiality reason to do otherwise.

I think the school is a different matter and all governor meetings are in private. Obviously, the Minutes are available to the public. I did have doubts about putting school Minutes on the web as there is a real risk that some people will misunderstand issueas and run amock on the internet ....

Doesn't the last part of this prove your opinion on the lack of intelligence of your electorate?. Anyhow Russell I didn't say what happens, I said what you would rather happen.

There is no doubt in my mind if you had a care for the transparency of the process you would have ensured the minutes were updated when it was brought to your attention months ago.

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 21:16:13 PM »
Russell You and the Council know full well why I left, and the fact that the Solicitor brought in by the then Mayor, in fact, agreed with my argument that's why a certain payment was made to the then Town Clerk.   Don't you dare put your own spin on it.   Its funny isn't it how truths differ to suit ones purpose.

Offline baldy

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 21:20:44 PM »
Charlie - the only payment made to the town clerk was for his due holiday leave and pay for the last month of his contract when he decided to leave early.... after realising that the council would not change its mind about him leaving.

You are completely wrong to suggest that the clerk had some sort of case against the council ... though we all know he tried to argue about it.

He was on a fixed term contract and in the end he agreed that we had decided to not renew his contract again - after it had already been renewed twice and after he had gone past the statutory age for retirement that still existed then.

End of. That is all there was to it in the end.

I know about the technicality you are thinking of, but that was not material to the decision or the pay in lieu of leave.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 21:37:48 PM by baldy »

Offline Phippin

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 21:21:04 PM »

There is a lot more to this matter than you realise.

Your comments are mainly a potshot for no good reason.

I am simply explaining the truth.

I am the only person to have sat on the committee continuously since the start. I have been responsible for many major decisions - or rather getting the committee to agree on the right way to proceed or writing the business plan for the council twice.

My contribution in moving the project forward is way more than anyone else .... aprt from the current chairman who has actually done a lot of work though he cannot claim correctly to have come up with any plans or strategy himself as the strategy was in place before he became chairman.

Okay Alex Ferguson is the only continuing aspect of Manchester United in the last twenty five Years. He brought in the staff, players, processes. When he is interviewed he doesn't continually go look at me, its all me, look at my successes, I am the key figure. He says it is a team effort, praises others and downplays his own role. It is about what had been achieved, not his ego.

That is the way it should be, anything else would be unseemly and seem like an ego trip. What I'm saying is don't let your need for admiration mire your good work. Not a pot shot, friendly advice.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 21:23:27 PM by Phippin »

Offline baldy

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 21:25:55 PM »

Okay Alex Ferguson is the only continuing aspect of Manchester United in the last twenty five Years. He brought in the staff, players, processes. When he is interviewed he doesn't continually go look at me, its all me, look at my successes, I am the key figure. He says it is a team effort, praises others and downplays his own role. It is about what had been achieved, not his ego.

That is the way it should be, anything else would be unseemly and seem like an ego trip. What I'm saying is don't let your need for admiration mire your good work. Not a pot shot, friendly advice.

This is comparing apples with pears.

I am not a team manager.

It is normal in politics to explain what one has done so that others understand the what and why one has done things.

You seem to resent me talking about what I do.

I'm not going to talk about other councillors except to explain the facts.

Offline Phippin

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 21:28:40 PM »
Although I would like to add at least you self publicise for something you have had a key role in achieving unlike Cuthbert-Murray the smoke and mirrors rent a quote man.

Offline baldy

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 21:31:52 PM »
I agree that Mike C-M has overexposed himself (pardon the expression!!) in the media.

I  normally avoid photos and quotes to the press unless it's something I am actively involved in and it is relevant to local people in connection to the council or my charitable work.