Author Topic: a puzzle !!!!  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
a puzzle !!!!
« on: August 30, 2013, 19:52:57 PM »
will put this on here too,  see how many i can annoy with it :)

ve just watered my large pot with rhubard in it and the soil moved and unearthed this.. its egg shaped..looks like an egg.. im wondering what would lay an egg and covers it up in soil in june. it could only have been done in june as thats when the rhubarb was planted in this very large pot ready to house move. any ideas? its smaller than an ordinary brown chickens egg. very white and very smooth almost like glass .  we looked online.. we checked by light and couldnt see a chick. its very white and very very smooth egg. we cracked it open in the end to see.. there was a yolk in it... but even cracked the egg shell felt different to our normal eggs we eat. im just amazed how it got into this large tub as ithe previous shrub was removed from it in june and the rhubarb put in it once it had been turned over and food added to it ready for moving home in july. it was definately covered over and as i watered it tonight the soil moved off of the egg and leaving it half uncovered. this is not a stupid wind up attempt. those who know me will know im deadly serious about this. im just curious as to how it got buried in rhubarb

[attachment deleted by admin after 365 days]

Offline Debs

• facebook
Re: a puzzle !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 19:57:26 PM »
we've looked on line and read up on a few sites...  there is no bird in the uk that lays eggs and buries them. but apparently a fox can find it and bury it anywhere to come back and get later.    thats probably the logical answer but to get to my back garden through the fencing panel which is down ( dont ASK) the fox would have to go down a narrow alleyway which is made up of fencing panels everywhere.. i wouldnt have thought a fox would go there as he could be cornered with nowhere to go.   im just curious.  and no its not a sad wind up attempt like some sad sack on spotted westbury though when i posted it on there. im deadly serious..imagine watering your rhubarb and you see a white mound appearing as the water soaks away.... and youre left with an egg!!!

i know bob is bit of a bird whizz and thought this would be up his street

picture really doesnt do it justice..its very white..and very very smooth
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:01:49 PM by Debs »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
Well it looks like a chickens egg. I've kept chickens and they can lay eggs of varying sizes and they can lay them almost anywhere if they're free to range. Shells can feel different (softer or harder) than 'shop' ones. It depends on their diet. Are there chickens kept anywhere near where you live? There are lots of different varieties of chickens that lay various sizes of eggs. If their wings are not kept clipped they are capable of flying short distances.

It could also have been carried there by as you say a fox.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
well... the only thing i can think of is a fox has carried it here from wherever he got it from.  i dont know if there are chickens on station road or thornbury close which are the nearest roads to us. we back onto both of them. we havent heard any chickens at all since being here.  i know it wasnt done at our old house because 4 weeks before we moved i dug up the rhubarb and ut it into this pot to move house, and it wasnt there then.  im was just gobsmacked i really was.   do a bit of watering and a bloody egg appears out of  nowhere....     in my new place i do have 2 panel fencing down ( being done as i type) but to get to it the fox would have to go down a narrow alleyway where both sides are just high fencing and enter my garden through next doors.  id be surprised if the fox went down there because they would be trapped in a narrow alley with no way of excaping if seen ( i always thought foxes were cautious and rarely went if people would be around) and this alley way is used a fair bit.
the shell certainly felt different almost shiny smooth if you know what i mean .   it was just something that bugged me.  thanks for a sensible reply bob.  you wouldnt believe the sarcastic, silly comments i got when i put this on spotted westbury.  :/   some people are just blooming idiots

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 13:52:57 PM »
Free Range birds will lay anywhere, the the owner or farmer will rake up stuff from various areas and maybe hide the eggs with the straw and stuff and they could end up anywhere.   Especially if they are Bantams (no not the motorcycle).   My guess an accident and a fluke

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 15:46:20 PM »
How strange!!!!!!! Some weeks ago my husband was taking out some plants from a box ( at the front of the house) and found an egg underneath, not just under the surface but well buried!!!! It was whitish and chicken size. It is a raised box about 2ft 6ins off the ground!! Funny goings on. Wonder how many more people have found them!! 
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 17:56:22 PM »
We've had this happen several times - internet research revealed that some types of duck do this.  There are mallards on the mill-pond just behind our garden, so it's probably them.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 19:34:54 PM »
well, wether its a fox buring them or a duck hiding them and burying them its still a puzzle.  lol  the fencing has now been replaced yesterday so that will stop the fox ...  if its a duck its a fair way from the minehole.. i now live near the fire station so its a fair way to lay your egg and look after it

btw  im glad to hear others have had the same experiance..   be nice if you could tell the unbelievers on spotted westbury on facebook about your experiances too...  there was sarcastic comments and trolls like ones (of course) and people who just thought i was making it up and it was a joke ( as if)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 19:37:14 PM by Debs »

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 19:42:32 PM »
John GL we are a near neighbour. I can't really see a mallard getting in our box. We have never been aware of soil being disturbed and it's also at the front of the house. We see ducks flying over the house and landing on the pond but never on the road at the front!!

Deb, I wouldn't let the idiots bother you! Just mindless wind-up merchanrs with nothing better to do!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:00:09 AM by Debs »
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:50 AM »
John GL we are a near neighbour. I can't really see a mallard getting in our box. We have never been aware of soil being disturbed and it's also at the front of the house. We see ducks flying over the house and landing on the pond but never on the road at the front!!

Deb, I wouldn't let the idiots bother you! Just mindless wind-up merchanrs with nothing better to do!!

Ohhh it doesnt bother me really . Its just annoying ehen peats like that butt in with their nonsence .
Btw silcerthreads i didnt alter your post i just clicked on the wrong button with the podger on my tablet.  Sorry!!!