Author Topic: storms  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Re: storms
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 18:47:29 PM »
The Somerset levels are artificially drained land. They are below sea level. They will flood in extreme situations. We've had more rain than ever in the past 250 years, I suggest thats extreme. The government are not to blame for flooding. You could suggest the government responce has been less than good, but to blame the government/environment agency for the flooding is silly.

Al,

Ever since this global warming/climate change debate started in the 1970/80's successive Governments (in their quest to raise "green" taxes) have warned that stormier winters will the result. Why, therefore, have they in the last 30+ years made NO provision to protect the taxpayers (the electorate) from the worst effects of these storms?  Basically because: YOU pay the taxes and YOU bear the brunt of the problems! Politicians are NEVER accountable in their eyes!!  They all just hope the flood waters will have gone by May 2015 when they can again tell us how wonderful they are!

BUT, the Good News!! David Cameron has promised tonight that money will be available, no matter how much, in solving these problems! Does he mean his (no chance) or ours though increases taxation/further cuts in other services (most likely), or a cut in the Overseas Budget (not likely from those who want to be International Statesmen because they know they are failures as UK Representatives)??

Oh, I forgot to mention: Devon MP's of all parties have asked him when the money (£31 million) he promised LAST year to protect the railway in Devon from floods, is actually going to be paid!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 18:57:14 PM by Mike Hawkins »
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 22:03:01 PM »
Well said Michael. When did you last see our drains in Westbury being cleaned.
    [app]

If they hadnt stopped dredging the rivers and streams 20 years ago there wouldnt have so much build up in them over the years do when we this awful amount of rain there would have been room for it and not flooded as badly as it has done .  Last year when tewksbury flooded and was it the year before too??  I remember reading then about the rivers need dredging ...   if this was so for the past 2 years n still nothing has been  WHY ?..

The building below must be under 9-10ft of water .......   thats someones business and home gone for a burton.... :(  ...  saw one old chap today on the news refusing to leave his home in csae it gets looted while he is away...  their insurances are going to be huge next year...  food is going to go up by loads as well due to all the crops being ruined....  what we do get will be high cost....... this day n age we shouldnt be living like this...   families split up..children not at school..schools not opened.... no electric..mo sewerage home, gardens, cars, gatages ruined along with businesses...  someone is too blame... its not just the rain..whoever stopped the river maintenaince 20 years ago and cut funding is to blame i would have said....   but itsmok to send millions abroad...  im all for helping others but at our own expence....  government cuts funding to lots of services .... old people have to choose between food or heating...people are using food banks.....  benefits are being slashed left right and centre...  dont get me started on the nhs cut backs.. people are dying because treatments arent availanle in their county (  biggest disgrace of all)  people denied services (  my own son died because they dont xray children with asthma as they dont have the money to do it..OH YES  ) . :(        but itsmok to send millions abroad... 14 months ago they sent 19 million to africa...at the same time africa spent 17 million on a palace...  what anout helping their own countryy instead of relying on us every year for millions...   you can send help abroad so long as you own country isnt suffering...  charity is exactly that..chaRity..help....  not money to be relied on whilst you spend your own on luxuries...  a bloody 17 million palace for god sake and we send 19 million.....   phft 

[attachment deleted by admin after 365 days]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 22:08:06 PM by Debs »

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 00:22:36 AM »
They get cleared when they get blocked. Neighbor Wessex Water out the other night. (Arrived within the hour) and sorted the problem. Couldn't fault them.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Al

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 00:24:53 AM »
Dredging would not have stopped the flooding. You lot all seam to read, and more worrying believe, the Daily Mail!

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
The Dutch don't seem to suffer as badly, and a large proportion of their country is below sea level. In fact Dutch a engineer assisted in the management of the levels.

Maybe it's time to use their expertise again.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
They get cleared when they get blocked. Neighbor Wessex Water out the other night. (Arrived within the hour) and sorted the problem. Couldn't fault them.
The sticking plaster approach, wait until it goes wrong, then fix it, what is needed is planned long term maintenance.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
Dredging would not have stopped the flooding. You lot all seam to read, and more worrying believe, the Daily Mail!
Of course dredging on its own will not solve the problem, in fact making rivers flow faster erodes banks and is likely to cause problems further down stream.
Planting more trees and hedges, restoring ditches and creating ponds, and a general recognition that climate change is here to stay, that's the long term answer.
Shizzy is right we can learn a lot from Dutch engineers, in the Netherlands they have lived with these problems for hundreds of years.

Offline Al

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
In Holland, it floods. They know it floods, they build houses that are tubed. They don't moan when it floods they deal with it.

Online baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi Al,

Please explain "tubed". I'm fascinated to know what this is. Ta.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Al

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
Tubed, like a bath tub. Friends in Holland have a house that can basically sit in 2ft of water and not leak. The front and back doors seal and the walls /floors are constructed not to allow water to seep through.

Online baldy

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
Ah .... I see.

I think the nearest we have in Britain is the procedure used to "tank" buildings, though this is normally underground to deal with high water tables rather than temporary lakes where the water table is actually above the ground floor.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Online baldy

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

If you are talking about the Somerset Levels, then dredging of ALL the relevant rivers (actually they are drainage canals built by man) and ditches is needed in the way that was intended to happen when the whole Levels drainage system was built centuries ago.

It is a man-made drainage system and unfortunately PC-Green idiots at the Environment Agency have overlooked the simple fact that failing to dredge the "rivers" and ditches will make the usual flooding far worse so that it threatens land which is not intended to flood.

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Somerset has been under water since Xmas, but as soon as floods get closer to London money is no object and the military are called to help. Maybe the fact the flooding is in a Tory stronghold is a coincidence!

Offline Al

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
I read a stat, probably in the Daily Mail so untrue, that there are less than 100 houses flooded in Somerset, but nearly 7,500 threatened along the Thames. Proportional response and all that.

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 13:08:17 PM »
Exactly more voter in the Thames Valley