Author Topic: storms  (Read 13257 times)

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
Re: storms
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 13:13:27 PM »
I read a stat, probably in the Daily Mail so untrue, that there are less than 100 houses flooded in Somerset, but nearly 7,500 threatened along the Thames. Proportional response and all that.
All about votes then, should have known, what's a few farmers going under even if they do vote Tory/Lib Dem, we can always import more food.

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 16:40:30 PM »
Nice to know "money is no object" when it comes to the Tory voters expensive houses being threatened by water along the Thames, they should be used to it the wet lot, most are drips anyway.   Where is this abundance of money coming from when the Government is slashing budgets to Councils faster than Capt Hook on speed.   I know, Slipery Dave the magican will produce it out of thin air, tell us we are so wonderful for believeing him (remember to vote next time and I mean that most sincerely folks, love Dave) and slash budgets more, but its OK because the Tax Payer will cough up just like the Banks, funny though how both Banks leak.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 18:36:30 PM »
Dredging would not have stopped the flooding. You lot all seam to read, and more worrying believe, the Daily Mail!

Dredging would not have stopped the flooding, BUT would have reduced the risk and minimised the impact!

The problem we have now, as I see it, is that climate change is a reality, as it has been for millions of years in the past. However, nowadays we have politicians who claim to have the policies to prevent this! What arrogance!!

Instead of them falsely claiming they can prevent this and raising "green taxes" to do so, they must honestly admit, they can do nothing to prevent these changes, and that taxes must be used to mitigate the effects, even if this does mean borrowing now to put adequate defences in place for the future!

The rivers/dykes were not dredged as they should have been, allegedly to protect the eco systems of these water ways, BUT, the destruction of the land based eco-systems has now almost been complete (what land based animals/insects/plant life have been destroyed in Somerset since Christmas?) and indeed the water based systems have also suffered because of this flooding!

But, Hey, I am not an MP, so what do I know?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 18:38:30 PM by Mike Hawkins »
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 19:36:51 PM »
Couldnt agree more Mike, ditching and dredging would have definately limited the effect of this severe rainfall.   If the ditches and rivers have their capacity to flow reduced by vegitation, rubbish or silt then how can they cope.   Its like turning on your tap in the bath and watching the water run away efficently, but, place a tea bag over the plughole and watch the difference.  Yep im a rocket scientist as well. 

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
Going to moan now..

Why in this awful weather we are haing do people insist on leaving their wheelie bins where the wind can take them ?   Today alone  ive got wet rescuing 2 of my neighbours bins.. 3 or 4 times ..,thats 4 wheelie bins that keep flying past my window and heading for my car which is on my drive .   Im fed up of picking up their rubbish that finds a corner by my front window and congregates there quite happily ...     there is no excuse because we have all got back access and gates into back gardens. Mine are there and only vome to driveo on bin days. Not stay permenantly by their front doors. They have just missed by car by inches as they blow ovre my drivve.....   Grrrrr  ive NOW GOT TO HO OUT THERE AGSINAS SOME WHITE VAN HS JUST STOPPed N PUT THEM ON MY DRIVE Near MY CAR ON THEIR SIDE...  another gust and my car will be hit
 Go careful along meadow lane ....   flying bins....  not mine  ..next foors and their next door neighbour ... bloody hell im going to get wet again grrrrrr

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Too late ....  slid into my  car before i got my shoes on .....   grrrrrrrrrr

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 19:43:35 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26187926

The young Royals are out from 6am helping with sandbags, the Queen donates foodstuffs and straw for the flooded farm animals, Prince Charles donates £50,000 to aid relief; the politicians talk and have their photographs taken before rushing back to London! Let's abolish Parliament and let the Royal Family rule! Be a lot cheaper (Parliament - salaries, expenses and admin cost £450 million in 2006/07, so you can guess how much it has risen since!) and things will actually happen!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 19:54:17 PM by Mike Hawkins »
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 20:32:37 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26187926

The young Royals are out from 6am helping with sandbags, the Queen donates foodstuffs and straw for the flooded farm animals, Prince Charles donates £50,000 to aid relief; the politicians talk and have their photographs taken before rushing back to London! Let's abolish Parliament and let the Royal Family rule! Be a lot cheaper (Parliament - salaries, expenses and admin cost £450 million in 2006/07, so you can guess how much it has risen since!) and things will actually happen!
[app]   yes good on them

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
Sand bagging is probably all the Royal family is good at!

I would gladly donate some straw and more than £50,000 in aid if I was a multi-millionaire! ( as paid for by the tax payer).

Plus, I'm up at 6am EVERY day!
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »
Some trees down on the trading estate this morning I see. Lots of debris blowing about.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 16:18:15 PM »
trees down on the way up to the white horse too apparently according to a picture i saw this morning.  cars were havin trouble turning around in the narrow road with no turning areas close by

Offline Al

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 17:05:16 PM »
Can't they just reverse?

Offline localmonkey

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 17:52:49 PM »
Can't they just reverse?

Or just don't pass the police road closed sign at the stables!!!

Saw several on my walk round this morning.

Offline Al

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 18:19:54 PM »
Hah! Genius. Blind and unable to drive.  Makes sense I guess ;)

Offline localmonkey

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 19:07:56 PM »
Bloody Aldi drivers!  ::)