Author Topic: Americanisms  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
Americanisms
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
I know I'm not alone on this one but I hate all the Americanisms that are not just creeping into our language but are starting to take it over.

Spellings irritate me. A classic example is the recent thread titled Youth Center. I can understand that as spellcheckers default to American - English. But what really annoys me is hearing people say things like when they are in a takeaway they say " can I get" and "to go" Another one is "reach out and touch base" and "networking with friends"

Sometimes the Pronunciation of words annoys me. This one in particular - Schedule. I bet at least 80% of you just pronounced that wrongly in your heads.

What Americanisms annoy you. Or do you just 'embrace them' and accept the fact that one day we will all talk and spell the American way?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
Re: Americanisms
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
I'm not sure it's an Americanism but the way people being interviewed answer a question, with the word "So", as in "So, the answer to your question is"-.
Another is, "How are you?", and they answer, "I'm good", who says so, and where did K for a thousand come from, what's the saying? Britain and the USA, two countries divided by a common language.

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 22:34:32 PM »
I'm with you all the way on this. We are gradually losing our identity. Another one that grates is  the use of the word 'window' as in, 'yes, we have a window.........'. When trying to make an appointment.
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline localmonkey

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Well I find it quite ironic that you highlighted my spelling mistake considering the general state of both spelling and punctuation on this forum.

Anyway what winds me up is the use of the term 'can I get a......' Ummmmm no you can't !!

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 22:00:55 PM »
Its all a load of old toss, a fad, I dont want to network, call people buddy, eat Crapdonalds or have fries, say howdy, Im good and as Local Monkey says can I get.   Im English and proud of it, things may be bigger in the good ol US of A, that includes their nut houses and the need for them to have a shrink even for their pet fish.   Not like normal people at all. Of course only my opinion ya all.