Author Topic: Allotment theft  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
Allotment theft
« on: September 05, 2014, 19:47:40 PM »
This morning at around 9.00am I went to my allotment, it's at Southwick, and since we took it on in October 2013 we have had many a happy hour on site.
Clearing a site that was overgrown and neglected, digging, planting, and this year harvesting, spuds, beans, peas, carrots, cabbages, and a few other crops.
Erecting a fruit cage, building raised beds, and putting in a shed to hold our tools, and the every day bits an pieces needed to maintain the ground.
But this morning a rude awakening, I was greeted by a fellow allottmenteer, who reported that most of the sheds on the site had been broken into and the equipment stored there had been removed.
Mowers, strimmers, even a rotivator, taken from sheds were left around the site, but some of the stuff removed had been loaded on a vehicle and driven away.
We lost a petrol strimmer, and two Bosch 18v drills. hey ho, that's life, but a policeman turned up took his time on the site walking round, taking details and writing them down, and scene of crimes investigator also arrived, well done Wiltshire Constabulary, and thank you.
Now I know that they have an impossible task trying to solve this crime, but at least they try, and for that we should all be grateful.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Re: Allotment theft
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 20:54:13 PM »
Sure it wasn't Balfour Beatty after additional equipment to fulfil their contract with Wiltshire Council?

Seriously though, I sympathise with you and your fellow allotment holders. Sadly nowadays, there is a certain element in society who believe it is not necessary to work for something, when you can steal the stuff from people who have worked for their possessions! I hope they do catch them albeit they will not be punished!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 21:28:25 PM »
And if they catch those responsible cut their hands off like they do in some other countries, they will stop them!

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 22:47:06 PM »
Hope you get it back but i doubt it ...   it happened 15 yrs ago to myself n ex husband ... we opened up a garage n car sales in melksham ... thd day after there was a piece in local paper it was broken into and a lot of gear was stolen ...  air tools , kits, thousands of pounds worth .... never got it back ...and didnt have insurance stupidly .... your stuff will have been advertised on ebay, facebook selling pages ...many are stolen to order....   bootsales and places like the blandford steam rally , cheese show are a great place to buy stuff like that ....  especially where there is a large traveller presence ...    i expect there hsd been a couple of visits casing the joint before they struck .    To have a lot of stuff taken would have needed more than 2 people and plenty of time....       

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
Sorry to hear that Michael.  I agree with Old Codger, sadly a sign of the times nowadays.   Hope you get it all back.