Author Topic: How can anyone allow a 19 yeaar old to drive a 32 tonne truck?  (Read 11429 times)

Offline wanderlust

• Hugs: 29
  • My favourite vegetable is a rump steak
Re: How can anyone allow a 19 yeaar old to drive a 32 tonne truck?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 08:18:57 am »
As usual it's all down to money.The age restriction was changed from 21 to 18 in January 2013 as a result of lobbying by the industry because recruiting younger drivers was difficult as they couldn't be bothered to wait an extra 3 years and went for different careers. Nobody seemed interested in an alternative solution, like increasing the wages as an incentive to wait. A no brainer really, go for the cheap option.

I know that the only way to get experience driving a 32 tonne truck is to drive a 32 tonne truck, but you could work up to it, starting with a car, small van, large van, 3.5 tonne, 7.5 tonne. Earning while you're learning.

As for that daft analogy with training soldiers. The 18 year old male has all the necessary attributes, gallons of testosterone charging around & an unshakeable belief in their own invincibility & immortality, to enable him to be quickly & easily trained to kill people. Are these the attributes you want in someone driving a 32 tonne truck? Especially somewhere like Bath where the road system seems to have been created for a hoop & stick.

Whether he was driving like a tw@t in an unsafe vehicle or it suffered from an unforeseeable catastrophic failure, that kid has got to live with an unimaginable nightmare for the rest of his life because it will never go away.
Please would you walk a little faster, or get the f*** out of my way.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:33 am »
Most individuals do learn in the way suggested by wanderlust, it's complete nonsense to suggest that all teenagers are not able to drive safely, there are people of all ages who are unsafe drivers.
It is silly to judge all youngsters by the actions of any one individual, just as it is to suggest that age is a guarantee of common sense, something I'm aware of when reading some the posts on here. ;)

Offline wanderlust

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 13:19:50 pm »
Once again Michael, you seem to be making up other people's opinions as you go along. Yes, most people do learn in the way I outlined, but not possible in 2 years, 5 maybe.  Funny, that brings us back to 21.

As far as I'm aware, nobody on here has suggested that all teenagers are not able to drive safely, or that there are not people of all ages who are unsafe.

Has anyone judged all youngsters by the actions of any one individual (certainly not me, I have great sympathy for & a lot of faith in today's youngsters) or that age is a guarantee of common sense?

As for your last point, maybe you've been reading too many of your own posts.

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 15:56:02 pm »
Its the old perception "Not all teanagers are hooligans but all hooligans are teenagers".    As I said the tests are flawed, take the motorcycle test.   When I was young you could have up to a 250cc until you passed your test now you can go from a 125cc to whatevers available.   Modern bikes are fast, very fast, so it should be 125, 250, 500, 750 and then the big bikes.   Just one example

Offline wanderlust

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 16:15:45 pm »
I know one or two pensioners who could be described as hooligans, maybe even me.

Completely agree with you about all tests. You spend a couple of months learning how to pass your test, then hopefully you pick up a few driving skills before it's too late.

It's equally stupid at the other end of the age scale. I've always maintained that when you reach 55 you should have to take a test, then every 5 years until 70 then at least every 2 years.  Possibly not full tests, maybe some sort of short evaluation with a full test only if deemed necessary.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 17:27:31 pm »
Try this then.

http://www.quizfreak.co.uk/can-you-pass-this-basic-uk-driving-theory-test/index1.html

Let us all know your results, honestly mind. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 17:29:58 pm by Michael »

Offline charlie finbow

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 17:43:19 pm »
Wanderlust.   I totally agree, im of an age where people who were born in 1950 were probably the best generation (Im bias I know).   Im a couple of months away from retirement but my licence runs out 10 years later (at 75).   I have no problem if the ministry of clever dicks said Charlie you are now an old bastard so you have to take a driving test every year from now on.   Of course as long as its free.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 21:01:03 pm »
Wanderlust.   I totally agree, im of an age where people who were born in 1950 were probably the best generation (Im bias I know).   Im a couple of months away from retirement but my licence runs out 10 years later (at 75).    I have no problem if the ministry of clever dicks said Charlie you are now an old bastard so you have to take a driving test every year from now on.   Of course as long as its free.

According to my licence, it expires the day before my 70th birthday. Have they changed the ages?
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline wanderlust

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 22:19:44 pm »
Mine's the same. Either Charlie's getting special dispensation or he needs a trip to Specsavers.

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 23:17:31 pm »
Try this then.

http://www.quizfreak.co.uk/can-you-pass-this-basic-uk-driving-theory-test/index1.html

I just got "You've passed!".  Does that mean I got all the questions correct?  I was a bit dubious about some, such as the green flashing light.

Offline charlie finbow

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 07:35:54 am »
trip to specsavers for me wanderlust I stand corrected guess it was wishful thinking  :laugh: :laugh: [beer]

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
Try this then.

I just got "You've passed!".  Does that mean I got all the questions correct?  I was a bit dubious about some, such as the green flashing light.

Pass mark is 86%
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline wanderlust

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:40 am »
The bit I like is "Well done! You’ve passed this little driving theory test and proved that you can truly be trusted behind the wheel of a vehicle" Then the next sentence they tell you that you'd have to be a right dick if you didn't