Author Topic: No Campus for Westbury  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
No Campus for Westbury
« on: March 24, 2016, 19:57:05 pm »
It would appear from the WHN that Westbury will not get a campus, as Wiltshire Council no longer have the money to spend here as they have spent it elsewhere. Again, many months of WC attempting to make the people of Westbury think they care about us, and again the truth - they do not care about Westbury at all, unless it is somewhere to dump their waste (without giving us the promised Household Recycling Centre -a fact our Wiltshire Councillors did not seem important enough to fight for).

I do not understand why our town council is going along with anything WC wants, it will only be to our detriment and their benefit.

However, from past experience I am not at all surprised by this latest decision!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: No Campus for Westbury
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 20:44:26 pm »
The story about the campus in White Horse News this week is very misleading as the campus has not been "scrapped".

The campus proposal never progressed to approval by cabinet and instead got shelved until a review due in about 2 years now when the first round of campus projects have been completed and can be analysed to see what works and what does not. This information was fully announced a year ago.

By 2 or so years time I imagine the cabinet will come up with new rules and the project will have to be restarted. I always argued for a new site with new buildings as this was the object of the exercise but almost everyone else insisted on just talking about keeping the existing old buildings ....

Well, the cabinet does not like the multi-site approach and has made it clear that they don't think the Westbury proposal is one that is likely to be approved. We will be back to the drawing board to find a new site .....

On the point about Westbury Town Council, it is not simply going along with WC for no good reason. The reality is that Wiltshire Council is making serious cuts to services as a result of savage funding cuts by government. The town council has no choice but to take on services to ensure that they continue.

There is no way the town can accept the closure of the public toilets or the abandonment of a host of other services in the town. Blame the Government for the cuts by Wiltshire Council.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 20:48:37 pm by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 20:47:07 pm »
Leighton House?  Hospital site?
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline baldy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 21:15:35 pm »
Well, the hospital site is likely to be redeveloped by the time the campus project gets itself sorted properly.

The Leighton House site is now for sale.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 21:43:57 pm by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 18:34:20 pm »
 IS ANYONE REALLY SURPRISED BTY THIS, also on a different topic, how on earth could planning permission be given  with the houses on the trowbridge road opposite the co-op, be given right on the verge of the A350
No problems just Solutions

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 19:35:54 pm »
also on a different topic, how on earth could planning permission be given  with the houses on the trowbridge road opposite the co-op, be given right on the verge of the A350

You're not surprised by that are you?

Got a spare foot of land? Council planners will give you permission to build on it even if it's in the middle of the road! More income for them. And I don't just mean council tax...
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline baldy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 07:08:50 am »
IS ANYONE REALLY SURPRISED BTY THIS, also on a different topic, how on earth could planning permission be given  with the houses on the trowbridge road opposite the co-op, be given right on the verge of the A350

The topic about the planning permission given for 200 homes north west of the A350 off The Mead was discussed many times previously. At the time of the planning application the land was unallocated for development and would have been refused if it were not for the fact that Wiltshire Council could not prove a 5 year house building land supply under the new planning rules Government brought in which allows any "sustainable site" (= where power, sewers and roads can be connected up with an existing town) although not allocated to be given permission. The developers would have won permission on appeal anyway.

More relevant is the application for 300 houses on the south eastern side of Trowbridge Road, which WC refused because it adopted its core strategy development plan (which did have a clear 5 year land supply) just in the nick of time. Well, due to complications around Chippenham (where the leadership of WC tried to keep building land to an unrealistic minimum), the 5 year supply is no longer accepted by Planning Inspectors and so the flood gates for any development on unallocated land are back open and the appeal for the 300 homes on Trowbridge Road has not yet started. The chances are that it will get permission as well if WC does not sort out its 5 year house building land supply quickly.  This is a massive WC planning cock-up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:06:14 pm by baldy »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:03:38 am »
The chances are that it will get permission as well if WC does not sort out its 5 year house building land supply quickly.  This is a massive WC planning cock-up.

You sure it's a cock-up?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!