Author Topic: Wiltshire Council tax amongst the highest in England  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Wiltshire Council tax amongst the highest in England
« on: April 06, 2016, 17:42:30 pm »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14407097.Wiltshire_has_one_of_biggest_council_tax_rises_in_England/?ref=rss

And, for all this, we are hearing about nothing but cuts in services. Could anybody tell us WHAT we are actually paying for?
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Wiltshire Council tax amongst the highest in England
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 19:48:32 pm »
The rise is amongst the highest, not the actual amount to pay.

Wiltshire Council has a relatively low council tax compared to most parts of the country, but like most other councils it put up its council tax by just about the most possible because it had no other option in the face of savage cuts to funding.

It's a bit misleading to say that the rise is amongst the highest when actually many councils have done exactly the same, and many of those already had far higher council tax charges anyway.

I have to say that trying to be a local councillor is no fun when everything is being cut and anything that does have money in the kitty may take years to implement because the backlog of work for all staff is huge and still growing.

I really think the government has made a huge mistake in picking on local councils for savage funding cuts as it all affects directly affects local people and the reduced funding into local projects directly affects the local economy through the loss of the multiplier effects that occur when local people spend money in the local economy.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)

Offline Mike Hawkins

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:42:12 am »

I have to say that trying to be a local councillor is no fun when everything is being cut and anything that does have money in the kitty may take years to implement because the backlog of work for all staff is huge and still growing.

I really think the government has made a huge mistake in picking on local councils for savage funding cuts as it all affects directly affects local people and the reduced funding into local projects directly affects the local economy through the loss of the multiplier effects that occur when local people spend money in the local economy.

I agree!

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 15:45:26 pm »
Don't know if the cost plus the increase this year for the green waste collection was taken into account when the 'league table' of councils that have raised the tax this year was compiled. If not, Wiltshire would be top by a mile.

Got an email the other day from them. They want me to renew now even though it's not due until June.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Mike Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 18:17:18 pm »
Don't know if the cost plus the increase this year for the green waste collection was taken into account when the 'league table' of councils that have raised the tax this year was compiled. If not, Wiltshire would be top by a mile.

Got an email the other day from them. They want me to renew now even though it's not due until June.

Council tax is like chocolate prices - smallish increases in price but a lot less chocolate!