Author Topic: Tory Leadership Elections  (Read 10248 times)

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
Tory Leadership Elections
« on: June 30, 2016, 15:57:11 pm »
Who's in the running?

Home Secretary Theresa May: The 59-year-old has overtaken Boris Johnson as the bookies' favourite to win the contest. She's held the Home Office brief - often something of a poisoned chalice - since 2010, and is a former Tory party chairman. She says she can offer the "strong leadership" and unity the UK needs, and promised a "positive vision" for the country's future. She backed staying in the EU.

As Home Secretary regularly blamed the EU Courts for failure to deport foreign criminals and illegal immigrants - covering her own incompetence?  Despite this supported the remain camp

Justice Secretary Michael Gove: The 48-year-old former newspaper columnist was a key figure in the party's modernisation that led to its return to power in 2010. He was a reforming, if controversial, education secretary between 2010 and 2014, and now holds the Ministry of Justice brief. He was a leading player in the Brexit campaign - which put a strain on his close friendship with David Cameron. He has pitched himself as the candidate that can provide "unity and change." 

Unpopular in some quarters from his time as Education Secretary. However all politicians are unpopular because they think they know better than the professional! As an ex journalist will be familiar with "spin"!

Work and Pensions Secretary Stephen Crabb: The 43-year-old was promoted to the cabinet in 2014 as Welsh secretary, and boosted his profile earlier this year when he took over as work and pensions secretary. A rising star of the Tory party he has promised to unite the party and country following the referendum result and provide stability. Raised on a council estate by a single mother, he has a back story to which many Tory MPs are attracted. Backed Remain.

Backer of Remain so will he lead the country into exit? Another Scot!  However he is from a working class background and has achieved his success through his own efforts and not because of the right connections/school!

Energy minister Andrea Leadsom: The 53-year-old former banker and fund manager was one of the stars of the Leave campaign. A former district councillor, she became MP for South Northamptonshire in 2010 and - after serving as a junior Treasury minister and as a member of the Treasury select committee - she was made a junior minister in the energy and climate change department in May last year.

Has she yet got the experience? However, Cameron had no ministerial experience at all. Is a supporter of the Leave campaign so will ensure that the decision of the majority is carried.

Former cabinet minister Liam Fox: It's second time around for the 54-year-old ex-defence secretary and GP, who came a close third in the 2005 leadership contest. His cabinet career was cut short in 2011 when he resigned following a lobbying row. A Brexit campaigner, and on the right of the party, he has said whoever becomes PM must accept "the instruction" of the British people and not "try to backslide" over EU membership.

Another Scot? Will his "lobbying" row hold him back?

Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
Re: Tory Leadership Elections
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 18:15:00 pm »
Who's in the running?

Work and Pensions Secretary Stephen Crabb:
Another Scot! 

Former cabinet minister Liam Fox:

Another Scot?

What have you go against Scots? Why mention they are Scots? Are you racist?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 19:04:20 pm »
Who's in the running?

Work and Pensions Secretary Stephen Crabb:
Another Scot! 

Former cabinet minister Liam Fox:

Another Scot?

What have you go against Scots? Why mention they are Scots? Are you racist?

No not racist, but think of our prime ministers of Scots descendancy/ backgrounds - Blair, Brown, Cameron and also the current leader of Scotland Sturgeon who think she has the right to dictate to the rest of us (English, Welsh and Ulstermen [albeit Ulstermen  also chose to remain in the EU, but will not choose to leave the UK because their only other option is to join Eire], . Is it not time perhaps that we had an English  or Welsh Prime Minister?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 19:56:08 pm by Mike Hawkins »
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 20:09:40 pm »

Is it not time perhaps that we had an English  or Welsh Prime Minister?
We will have soon, Jeremy Corbyn, born in Chippenham. :)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 20:42:25 pm »
 ::) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 22:52:47 pm »
Just a Note Stephen Crabb is Welsh not Scottish born to a single parent on a housing estate in wales religious idiot who has payed money to some people who think can cure homosexuality.

Really who would of thought this guy got this far with his views.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 23:27:40 pm »
Wrong on at least tow counts. He was born in Inverness. Which as everyone knows is a city in Scotland. He was born from two parents. So far as I know no woman has conceived without the help of a man. - yet

He is a conservative MP in Pembrokeshire.

He also has no chance of becoming PM.

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 00:18:16 am »
Ok Grew up in Wales.

Offline Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 13:28:44 pm »
Tory's in disarray over this one Theresa May, EU re-mainer in the favourites spot 4/6, is unlikely to hurry over the Brexit, Michael Gove, the backstabber, none too popular in the party 10/3, Liam Fox, a failed minister 28/1, Andrea Leadsom another Brexiteer 6/1, and finally Stephen Crabb 16/1, not too popular with the Gay and Lesbian communities.
None of them seem to have any plan on the withdraw from the EC, but then none of them expected the result, could be the end of the decade, if at all before Brexit is achieved.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 13:43:45 pm by Michael »

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 17:34:07 pm »
I see no more disarray than normal when a party in Government is having a leadership election. The PM is still at the helm making sure that everything that needs to be done on a daily basis is done.

We are heading for the Summer "silly season". This one is going to be sillier than normal, but by the Autumn we'll have a new PM with a firm vision for going forward .... along with a new Chancellor (thank God!) and probably quite a few other changes in the cabinet.

I'll be interested to see if our local MP, Dr Andrew Murrison, makes it back as a defence or health minister as he is undoubtedly more qualified to talk on these subjects than most others who have held these jobs ....   He backed Boris, but if Angela Leadsom wins, I expect she will be keen to work with a BREXITeer like Andrew.

I suspect that Theresa May, if she becomes PM, will not turn out to be keen to promote many women around her as I think she has a clear Queen Bee trait about her .... (like Margaret Thatcher).

Maybe Angela Leadsom will win, in which case I expect a clear promotion of all the talents including plenty of women. I suspect Gove's plan is to back Angela when he drops out of the voting rounds next week amongst Conservative MPs (when they whittle the runners down to 2) so that a BREXIT leader like Angela has the best chance ... and because she will obviously give him a good post - perhaps Foreign Secretary or Chancellor ...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 17:37:25 pm by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 18:23:00 pm »
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixlZKZ4NLNAhWMDcAKHQl-CU0QqQIIHTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.spectator.co.uk%2F2016%2F07%2Fandrea-leadsom-overtakes-michael-gove-become-second-favourite-tory-race%2F&usg=AFQjCNGUE65W9uZQH5Si-N4NCiQzo_o7Ag&sig2=ZjGgHLECeJQqJP11igvLMg

Interesting article, I would be more inclined to accept the view of the bookies before that of the pollsters, but I do feel that there will be a few old scores settled in this vote.
As for David Cameron, he has lost what little control he once had, and having brought the UK to this perilous state, he washes his hands of responsibility. Shame on him.

Offline Pete

• Hugs: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 10:14:38 am »
It would be strange to replace one remainer with another, the new PM HAS to be pro-leave.

In order of preference for me it should be...

Andrea Leadsom
Liam Fox
Michael Gove

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 15:08:01 pm »
It would be strange to replace one remainer with another, the new PM HAS to be pro-leave.

I couldn't agree more.

It has to be someone who led us into the sugar that has to lead us out the other side.

Let's hope not too much sugar sticks.

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 19:28:04 pm »
You forget that you have to bring the remain and leave voters together, a pro brexit leader wont do that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36696908

Tory leadership contender and Brexit campaigner Andrea Leadsom had previously opposed leaving the EU as it would be a "disaster", it has emerged.

http://news.sky.com/story/1720929/pro-brexit-leadsom-changed-her-mind-over-eu