Author Topic: Brexit-what a balls up!  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
Brexit-what a balls up!
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:51 am »

What happens if the MP's vote not to trigger article 50?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

All this uncertainty is not doing business's any good or the pound exchange rate. We're quickly becoming the laughing stock of the world!

Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
Re: Brexit-what a balls up!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:28 am »
Why dont we just have another referendum, then another until they get their own way, how about the best of 7.   , No wonder the aliens wont come here, if they asked take me to your leader we are stuffed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:41:14 am by charlie finbow »

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 14:48:36 pm »
I don't think the MPs will block Brexit per-say, I think the case is really about having parliamentary oversight and one of the points made in the campaign was about the sovereignty of the UK parliament, this ruling supports that view.
I do find it a bit rich that having made a massive fuss about the UK parliament being overridden by Brussels that the Brexitiers are now complaining about the UK parliament doing what they said they wanted.

Cheers

Mojo 

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 16:04:39 pm »
I don't think that the majority of MPs' will block Brexit (except the LibDems will try, but they will lose more if they did).  If they did, then a General Election would be called, the Tories would de-select all MPs' who voted against the Government; in the North Labour voters would dump their MP's who voted against their wishes; and the Lib Dems would lose all their seats (thank Heavens we would at last get rid of the insidious Clegg). The result would be a pro-Brexit Parliament and the democratic wishes of the people would be realised.
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 17:28:24 pm »
I don't think that the majority of MPs' will block Brexit (except the LibDems will try, but they will lose more if they did).  If they did, then a General Election would be called, the Tories would de-select all MPs' who voted against the Government; in the North Labour voters would dump their MP's who voted against their wishes; and the Lib Dems would lose all their seats (thank Heavens we would at last get rid of the insidious Clegg). The result would be a pro-Brexit Parliament and the democratic wishes of the people would be realised.
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/152681431429/jeremy-corbyns-comment-on-the-high-court-ruling

Seems pretty clear how the Labour leader sees it, has my support.

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 17:28:56 pm »
The result would be a pro-Brexit Parliament and the democratic wishes of the people would be realised.

Possibly but I would suggest that 52 - 48 split in the vote isn't a ringing endorsement for Brexit and some of the more ardent supporters of a hard exit need to remember that.
Some newspaper website headlines seems to see the ruling as a betrayal but as far as I understand the ruling simply requires the Governement to have the support of Parliament, it doesn't give Parliament the right to overule the referendum.

Cheers

Mojo

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:13:41 pm »
I agree with you mojo, Parliament should know and have a say on what's being negotiated. After all, the MP's do represent their constituents and the Prime Minister should have the backing of the majority on decisions she negotiates.

what will happen if the supreme court rejects the appeal? Will they appeal to the European courts?

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 14:25:40 pm »

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 15:15:32 pm »
"I and many others did not exercise our vote in the referendum so as to restore the sovereignty of this parliament only to see what we regarded as the tyranny of the European Union replaced by that of a government that apparently wishes to ignore the views of the house on the most important issue facing the nation.” so said Stephen Phillips in October.

I suspect that many other MPs feel the same, having voted to take back control find that they have relinquished it to a small group of cabinet members.

Labour will be pressing the case for a Brexit that works for Britain, putting jobs, living standards and the economy first.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:21:14 am by Michael »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 16:03:39 pm »
No wonder this prat was never trusted to become an MP !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/06/nigel-farage-to-lead-100000-strong-march-on-supreme-court-on-day/

Talk about incitement to riot..........