Author Topic: election bumph  (Read 20219 times)

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
election bumph
« on: March 21, 2017, 18:31:53 PM »
I have just had Russell's first leaflet delivered and I must say I am impressed  full of useful stuff and not one promise he is going to change the world.   Well done.

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: election bumph
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 17:13:11 PM »
I have received Russell's some kind of useless numbers I don't need I look online for that information and I wont be voting for someone who is clearly happy what's going on in Westbury and is a tory in disguise I am a Labour supporter who might be voting Liberal yep scary I know but I have no choice.

Gray

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 17:36:07 PM »
This time Jim everyone in Westbury will have the choice to vote Labour as there is a candidate in each of the Westbury wards, standing in both Town and Unitary.

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 18:34:40 PM »
I had mr lespitt on my doorstep, any views?
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 19:09:26 PM »
I have received Russell's some kind of useless numbers I don't need I look online for that information and I wont be voting for someone who is clearly happy what's going on in Westbury and is a tory in disguise I am a Labour supporter who might be voting Liberal yep scary I know but I have no choice.

Gray

Jim

I am not happy with lots of issues in Westbury and I have never said I am happy with everything with Westbury.

As you say you are a Labour voter, I won't try to convince you to vote for any other party than Labour. I am expecting Labour to get a healthy vote and do better than normal this time around in Westbury .

Actually, I am an ex-Tory (I left the Conservatives in 2005) who is probably half UKIP and half Tory in my views (the Vote Leave the EU type) but I have no plans to join any party as that would restrict the way I can vote on issues that affect Westbury. I am simply not prepared to be told how to vote in accordance with a party whip.

My election campaign has not got started yet. The directory of local services is something that some people find useful and it serves as a warm up for the elections but not much more.

I will shortly deliver a newsletter about stuff I am doing as the current Wiltshire Councillor in Westbury West and then, after a bit of a pause,  I'll kick off with proper election leaflets when we get into the normal election period and know who the candidates actually are ... these leaflets will say what I think about some issues and what I've done or will do ....

I think the blitz of LibDem leaflets and letters in Westbury West over the last month has confused people into thinking that the unitary and town council elections are anytime soon this month. They are not until the 4th May. We are currently just in the warm up period ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 19:27:53 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline baldy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 19:22:39 PM »

I had mr lespitt on my doorstep, any views?

I've not met Rupert Lescott (Conservative candidate in Westbury East) close up myself, but he door-stepped my Mum in Wellhead Lane recently and she was really chuffed that he did and she was certainly impressed with him.

I think that it will take a lot to dislodge Gordon King (LibDem) from the Westbury East unitary seat though, but if anyone can it will be a Tory who campaigns really solidly .... which seems to be the case. It will be an interesting contest ....

...though I also think that the Westbury West contest is also going to be a hard fought one with very different candidates talking about very different issues and with very different skills and experiences on offer.

It looks like the Westbury North contest will be a sedate affair with no-one really trying to knock out David Jenkins ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 19:32:52 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 22:25:10 PM »
Im sorry you dont agree with me on useful bumph Jim, I found it refreshing and useful  better than the Libdem regurgitating nonsense about potholes etc, yes we all can remember Gordon King and David Touts photo of 12 years ago with shovel and wheelbarrow.   As for Labour well the science is deafening, but as Russell says early days yet I look forward to a few door knocks from prospective candidates rather than leaflets.   [beer] [beer]

Offline Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Im sorry you dont agree with me on useful bumph Jim, I found it refreshing and useful  better than the Libdem regurgitating nonsense about potholes etc, yes we all can remember Gordon King and David Touts photo of 12 years ago with shovel and wheelbarrow.   As for Labour well the science is deafening, but as Russell says early days yet I look forward to a few door knocks from prospective candidates rather than leaflets.   [beer] [beer]
The question all voters will be asking is have we a better town since the last election of the Town Council, and are things being run well in the Wiltshire Council?
Labour candidates will say, we will work hard for the people of Westbury and we will listen to what voters say, no rash promises, no quick fixes,  no easy solutions.
Westbury deserves better than cuts in services, lack of it's fair share of funding, and deteriorating town facilities, working together we can achieve a better town.   

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 14:18:14 PM »
I haven't had a candidate knock on my door for over twenty years (that was in Barnet).  They'd be wasting their time anyway, as we'll definitely be voting Conservative as usual!  I do like to read the election leaflets from all parties, though.

Offline John GL

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 16:41:44 PM »
I have now!  Rupert Lescott called this afternoon.

Offline Michael

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 17:10:38 PM »
I haven't had a candidate knock on my door for over twenty years (that was in Barnet).  They'd be wasting their time anyway, as we'll definitely be voting Conservative as usual!  I do like to read the election leaflets from all parties, though.
Why not keep an open mind, we're not Old Labour or New Labour, and we're certainly not the party that the BBC and the Main Stream Media tell you about, we are a different Labour, a listening Labour. We'll make sure you get a couple leaflets to read and if you fancy a chat just give one of us a shout.

Offline John GL

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 17:37:31 PM »
No point, Michael - there's no chance that I'd ever vote Labour in any conceivable circumstances.  Or LibDem, for that matter.  I've remarked before that you and I disagree on almost every subject that's raised here, and probably anywhere else.

Offline baldy

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 19:03:57 PM »
I have just had Russell's first leaflet delivered and I must say I am impressed  full of useful stuff and not one promise he is going to change the world.   Well done.

Thanks Charlie.

Offline baldy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 19:16:51 PM »

I haven't had a candidate knock on my door for over twenty years (that was in Barnet).  ...

I believe that most well-advised election candidates are very cautious about canvassing these days as many people will react badly to being disturbed at home by waking a baby or a dog or when they are having a meal or watching TV or anything else really. There is a real danger of causing people to simply not vote at all due to being agitated by the whole process and especially by being disturbed at home.

On the other hand, I think canvassing is probably worthwhile when you are a new face and people have never met you before such as a new Conservative candidate who is not from the town itself.

I am reminded of the 2009 unitary elections when Mike Cuthbert-Murray (a local barber) ran as an Independent (supported and guided by me) against Gordon King and Georgie Dennison-Pender (an existing Conservative district councillor). I advised Mike not to canvass as there was a risk that he would lose more votes than pick them up ..... indeed, his leaflets were so good that they would be enough to make people realise they like him and that he would be a good councillor.  Georgie was a totally over confident - arrogant even - Tory woman with an offensively haughty and over-bearing tone of voice. I told Mike that if she went around canvassing the ward that she would lose and possibly lose badly. She actually spent 2 months canvassing the whole of Westbury East and as a result came third!!!  I am certain that canvassing actually lost her votes because most people would take an instant dislike to her and her haughty tone (in Westbury East that is). Indeed, Mike used to ring me up saying that he had so many customers of his saying they had met her on their own doorsteps and instantly disliked her tone of voice ....  Mike won.

As for me, I think I would probably lose as many voters as I might pick up .... not least because its just not possible to answer questions about complex issues quickly and then people take offence when you need to move on after 10 minutes ....so it's just not worth doing any more for me. In any event, it takes all the time I've got as an Independent just to deliver my own leaflets which I do on my own to make sure they actually get delivered to every door ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:23:40 AM by baldy »

Offline RupertLescott

• Hugs: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 16:54:58 PM »
Afternoon all.  I 'Googled' myself yesterday (always a risky affair) and found this discussion and thought I would sign up and join in.

For what it's worth, I think canvassing both worthwhile and enjoyable - although I take the point about the risk of annoying people, especially around meal-times.  So far, the response in Westbury East has been pretty positive, both to canvassing in general and to me in particular.

I note that this forum is not overly active but, if anyone within Westbury East wants to ask me anything, I'll answer as best I can.  Or you can always email or call, using my contact details from the leaflets I've handed out.

Thanks!

Rupert