Author Topic: election bumph  (Read 20223 times)

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: election bumph
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »
So Russ wins with just over 9% of the electorate vote. Crazy old world.
And the others lost because they could not even achieve this!
It was a comment on the state of the electorate, rather than anything aimed at Russell.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »
Al,
I took your comment as being about the electorate and its interest in voting at council election time. No-one can say that the electorate in Westbury West did not have a good choice of candidates although I am very critical of the local Conservatives for not finding a decent local candidate. The Conservative candidate was from near Devizes and he only did well (in coming second) because of the current combined General Election and BREXIT fever, which will have disappeared in 4 years time ...

Mike and Charlie,
I enjoyed working with both of you at the town council when you were Conservatives and when you went Independent as well. You are the sort that made the whole endeavour sane and positive.  As you know, we all found that many Conservatives are really quite nasty vicious lying ........... erm ..... people ...     Given the dozens of outrageously false allegations I had to handle with numerous hearings when I was 100% cleared, I shall never forget them and their wholly unhealthy motivations which circulate more around self-preservation or advancement of their own political careers than the interest of the town as a whole ....

This is not my view of Conservatives as a whole across the country, as I was heavily involved in Wimbledon Conservatives for a decade in the 90s and they were a far far far better cut of person all around (including Theresa and Philip May).... compared to the local shambles and festering pot of bitterness ......   (the story repeats itself starting with Christopher Newbury before me)  Indeed, I think Wiltshire Conservatives as a whole compare favourably with Wimbledon, in my opinion ....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:52:03 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
Interesting that the turnout was markedly higher, at 37%, in Westbury East (where I am) than in the other two wards.  Gordon King managed to hold on against Rupert Lescott, and Labour got less than 10% of the vote.
Yes John, but 137 people in Westbury East had the opportunity to vote for a Labour candidate, a choice not given to them for quite a time.
I now have to work with other town councillors,  talk to all in the community who have something to say, and listen to their views and ideas for the town.

Offline Michael

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
Michael

.   I agree with Mike Hawkins, I had a great time on the Town Council and yes I opposed, supported and probably annoyed in equal measures but never fell out with colleges in a personal way.   So good luck.  Im sure it will be an eye opener but in a good way.

Shame the 2 Unitary Councillors who didn't stand for Town (David and Carroll) as you would have had the 10 required elected members, sadly now, the Council cannot have powers of competency until the Town goes to another election (at the towns cost) co-opts do not count. so a big work load on committees for you all.   Also working with Russell is not so bad just dont patronize or bullsh1t him .   [beer]
Thanks for your good wishes Charlie, I certainly don't subscribe to the type of politics that attack the individual, although I sometimes do attempt  to wind people up, a fault I shall try to cure.
On your second point it would seem that some on the council are unwilling to go down the co-option route, but I think this is the best way forward.

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »

, although I sometimes do attempt  to wind people up, a fault I shall try to cure.

[/quote]

Sometimes it is necessary to "wind people up" to get a reaction and discussion. I know, I have done it!!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2017, 18:37:17 PM »
I've just done it too, and Michael rose to the bait!

Good luck on the Town Council, Michael - I might see you there some time as I've addressed the Council several times about Westbury Leigh matters. 

Offline Michael

« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2017, 19:11:30 PM »
I've just done it too, and Michael rose to the bait!

Good luck on the Town Council, Michael - I might see you there some time as I've addressed the Council several times about Westbury Leigh matters.
Thank you John, I look forward to meeting you. ;D