Author Topic: election bumph  (Read 20222 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: election bumph
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »

Which makes you what, a renegade Tory?
The worst of both worlds then.
I can understand why the Tory's and the Lib-Dems would join forces, after all the Lib-Dems sold their integrity for a seat at the table, but for any real independent councillor to link themselves with either seem a touch ingenuous.

I think you meant Disingenuous, which is a false and unfounded allegation.

I am not linked to anyone. I really am Independent.

Obviously, I vote according to what I see as sensible (for Westbury) in the circumstances.

The Conservatives are normally sensible, but sometimes the cabinet gets it wrong and there is a Conservative back bench rebellion which normally makes sense to me.

No-one has ever challenged my Independence since I became Independent in 2005.

I do not take seriously any nonsense from "Michael" here as he has already proved himself to be full of straightforwardly illogical and unfounded claims ever since he started posting here ...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:03:18 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline RupertLescott

• Hugs: 0
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »
Let's raise the tone a little, gents.

Ad hominem attacks on anyone because of how they vote are never sensible.  Far better to discuss the many issues and opportunities facing Westbury and the policy responses that elected representatives might consider in response.

The candidate lists get published tomorrow (Wednesday) at 4pm.  Should make for some interesting reading (playing fast and loose with the word 'interesting' there, I acknowledge for the vast, sensible majority of people!).

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Oh Rupert.
Don't spoil the fun, that's the whole point of this forum
Baldy.
I meant what I wrote, look it up.
To align yourself with either Tory or Lib-Dem would seem a little foolish, and really I'd have hoped you had learnt by know your usual weak retorts don't work with me. ;)

Offline baldy

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 16:20:20 PM »
I am not aligned with anyone, except the electorate in my area  ... which is their decision.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline charlie finbow

• Hugs: 65
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 16:42:54 PM »
Well thats a turn up for the books, no town or parish elections in Westbury.   Only 8 people put themselves forward in the 3 wards,  so are uncontested.   So now we have half a Council.   All those who whinge and moan where are you.   Good luck to those who put themselves forward to have a fight (which now wont be happening), guess its back to jobs for the mates in co-opted Councillors.   Apathy at its finest.  :(   

Offline Michael

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 17:52:01 PM »
Four independent, Three Labour, and One Lib Dem, so co-opting could be difficult, I suppose the independents could vote together for
this purpose.
I personally am sorry that there is to be no election for Town, but pleased that Westbury has got an extra Labour Party Councillor, at least the electorate have the opportunity to vote Labour in three wards in the Unitary election. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 17:55:46 PM by Michael »

Offline charlie finbow

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 18:11:36 PM »
I agree Michael it is sad, but lets be real Town and Parish Councils are a talking shop with no real power, hence Area Boards, who under the control of the Conservatives at County Hall will ring the death knell to Town and Parish Councils in the future.   Good luck to those who will represent Westbury at Town level, might be frustrating times ahead.   I bet the Lib Dems and Conservatives are already lining up co-opted mates to fill the empty seats.   As for Labour, you seem to be a bit of a lonely voice since Eli left.   In my opinion.   [beer] [beer]     

Offline baldy

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 19:23:10 PM »
Hmmmm

Basically, 6 of the 8 town councillors have 4 or more years of essential experience.

There is a disgraceful and total lack of Conservatives. I am shocked. I am almost as shocked that there is only one LibDem.

It is very disappointing to have 7 vacancies after an all out ordinary election.

It is nothing less than shabby for unitary candidates in Westbury to not also put themselves up for election to the town council, as that is where the real grass roots work is done and where vital information about what is going on comes to one's attention.

The 2 new councillors are both Labour with no council experience, as far as I can tell. They will not become unitary councillors but I think they will find the politics at the town council rather low key and certainly nothing like the sort of bollocks that Michael spouts. If the Labour Three start voting en bloc as if a whip is in place they will quickly find themselves unpopular and outmanouvred once the others realise what is going on.

In reality, town councillors tend to work together regardless of "party", so all the nonsense from Michael about adoptions going down some sort of party line can be dismissed outright here and now.

What will matter and will happen is a discussion about how to proceed in a way that gets more vacancies filled, preferably by more elections in due course.  When the time comes for some adoptions, the normal outcome tends to be that people who put themselves forward who are already known to do useful work in the town tend to be backed by the existing councillors regardless of party. Indeed, they almost all tend to belong to no party anyway .....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:04:13 AM by baldy »

Offline baldy

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 19:28:23 PM »
Perhaps we should go back to former town councillors and ask them to come back. Hey Charlie .... how about it?

Offline baldy

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 19:34:11 PM »
Four independent, Three Labour, and One Lib Dem, so co-opting could be difficult, I suppose the independents could vote together for
this purpose.
I personally am sorry that there is to be no election for Town, but pleased that Westbury has got an extra Labour Party Councillor, at least the electorate have the opportunity to vote Labour in three wards in the Unitary election.

Hmmm

One of those Independents is effectively LibDem, even though he denies it.  And I don't mean David Tout who is ex-LibDem.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, it's a duck ...

There is an Independent who arrived at the town council with a beard and wearing sandals, sits with the LibDems, works with the LibDems and almost always votes with the LibDems.

I congratulate the Labour Party for being the only party which managed to put up a candidate in each ward for the town council.

My God .... I am so shocked at the Conservatives .... NONE at the town council at all!!   What a shower!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:31:10 AM by baldy »

Offline charlie finbow

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »
Not for me Russell, what does worry me is there is no elections at Town level so will people just not bother to vote in the Unitary elections. I see a low turnout and anything could happen.

Offline baldy

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Four years ago in Westbury West, the turnout was only 22% and, in fact, there was no town council election contest then due to the number of town council candidates being the same as the five seats.

There will be no town council election contest this time and I do expect the turnout to be quite low. Westbury West is always quite a low turnout area in non-Parliamentary elections.

A low turnout is rather good for me for several reasons, but particularly because it means that the ones who do vote tend to be older and pro BREXIT ..........   and I am standing on a pro BREXIT platform amongst many other issues and policies ...

Also, last time a UKIP candidate ran against me. There is not one this time. This time, there is a Green Party candidate .... though I doubt if they will bother with any leaflets. The Green candidate cannot be good news for the Labour or LibDem candidate.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:30:02 AM by baldy »

Offline Michael

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
The results in Westbury West for 2013 make interesting reading, they indicate a general dissatisfaction with the main protagonists, the Lib Dem, Conservative, and one of the Independent candidates showing diminished votes, only Ian Taylor and Christine Mitchell recording an increase in support.
There is no doubt that the Green Candidate will have some effect, the Conservative may also have an effect on the opposite wing, the main protagonists appear to be a very strong woman Labour candidate and the Independent who's support seems to be waning.

Offline Michael

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 13:06:07 PM »
The failure of the Conservatives and the Lib Dems to provide candidates for all wards in the Town Council election indicates their disinterest in Westbury except as a springboard to increase their parties presence on the Wiltshire Council.
The Conservatives in particular show contempt for Westbury voters and continue to ignore the problems that their policies have caused in the town.
The Lib Dems having abandoned their principals by joining the Conservatives in coalition, and reneging on their promises on tuition fees confirm their interest in power at any price.
Westbury deserves better. 

Offline charlie finbow

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 13:41:07 PM »
I think the biggest concern is we only have half a council with only 6 Councillors with any experience.    [beer]