The General Boards > In the News

Do we really care about Brexit

<< < (2/157) > >>

John GL:
I'd say the IRA leaders were (and in some cases are) "violent extremists beyond the pale of respectability".  There's no excuse for Mr Corbyn's overt support for them at the height of their terrorist campaign, which was very different from the then Governments' nose-holding negotiations.  Perfectly true that nuclear weapons are no deterrent against terrorist attacks, but they are an essential deterrent against nuclear or conventional attacks. 

I'm not dismayed by the social care proposals in the Conservative manifesto, but I am at the apparent back-tracking.  The proposals seem to be very sensible, and in line with what was done in respect of my mother and mother-in-law (the latter lived to the age of 101).  In both cases their properties were sold and the proceeds devoted to their care costs - the responsible way of doing it.  I can't see why anyone would object for other than purely selfish reasons!

Nationalisation: my working career started with the Metropolitan Water Board, continued with the Thames Water Authority and ended in a senior role with Thames Water plc.  I can say of my own knowledge that privatisation was a marvellous thing for the water industry, with sounder finances, far better infrastructure, enormously improved productivity and greatly improved service to customers.  I'm in a particularly good position to judge on the last point as I was in charge of complaint handling for over a decade!  In the public sector we had "consumers" and "ratepayers" and no sense of service; after privatisation we had "customers" and a real keenness to serve them.  Renationalisation would be a fearful disaster.  I don't have the same experience of the railways, but I do have vivid memories of the disgraceful performance of British Rail when I was a regular commuter.

jimkerr:
John you would like the NHS Privatised ? it seems very unfair to me that a person who gets cancer or any other life long illness get it free why someone who gets dementia pays for it even your mother and mother in law should of been free in my opinion. But seems your happy with it i don't understand that unless of course your well off.

And for Corbyn a decent at last man who actually answers the questions.

The Invasion of Iraq
Well set off a spiral of conflict, of hate, of misery, of desperation that will fuel the wars, the conflict, the terrorism, the depression and the misery of future generations.
Jeremy Corbyn February 2003

And this Terrorist is From UK and Libya Who bombed Libya ? we never learn its about time we did.

Bob DeBilda:
This thread is titled "Do we really care about Brexit" I care about Brexit. We are going to leave and we are so intertwined in so many different ways that you can't imagine and it is going to be very difficult and take much longer than anyone thinks. maybe never completely?

AND

The upcoming election is, despite what others think, about Brexit. Although Theresa May publicly supported Cameron in his quest to remain in the EU we all know she voted leave. She has seen an opportunity to increase her (small) majority to enable her to more easily negotiate the terms she wants with the EU. She has seen that Labour are in disarray with a leader who, quire frankly, doesn't look or act like he could be PM. A Labour leader who was put there by the conservatives because of just that.

I can't see Labour winning this election but I would like to see the governments majority reduced or at the best remain the same. What we don't want is May doing deals with the EU that are bad for us. A reduced majority would keep her to heel.

As for the conservative manifesto regarding social care and removing the winter fuel allowance (at least means testing it) she has shot herself in the foot with those. Definite vote losers. The most selfish people are rich conservatives and they wont like it (i've paid my taxes etc etc.)

labour have a definite vote winner with their scrapping of tuition fees. What parent and their 18 year old about to go to university wouldn't vote for that? (rich selfish Torys included) They wont care about how it's otherwise paid for or even think about it.

John GL:

--- Quote from: jimkerr on May 24, 2017, 20:43:05 pm ---John you would like the NHS Privatised ? it seems very unfair to me that a person who gets cancer or any other life long illness get it free why someone who gets dementia pays for it even your mother and mother in law should of been free in my opinion. But seems your happy with it i don't understand that unless of course your well off.
--- End quote ---
Surely the individual's resources should be used first, rather than expecting the taxpayer to pay.  The problem with the NHS is the insatiable demand... even Clement Attlee once described it as "grossly extravagant", and its scope has vastly expanded since then.  If patients had to pay, as they already do to some extent (e.g. dentistry), it might be possible to balance the books.

--- Quote from: jimkerr on May 24, 2017, 20:43:05 pm ---And for Corbyn a decent at last man who actually answers the questions.
--- End quote ---
I can't regard a supporter of terrorists as a decent man. 

--- Quote from: jimkerr on May 24, 2017, 20:43:05 pm ---The Invasion of Iraq
Well set off a spiral of conflict, of hate, of misery, of desperation that will fuel the wars, the conflict, the terrorism, the depression and the misery of future generations.
Jeremy Corbyn February 2003

And this Terrorist is From UK and Libya Who bombed Libya ? we never learn its about time we did.

--- End quote ---
The Manchester bomber's parents fled from Gadaffi, who was a sponsor of terrorists including the IRA.  The invasion of Iraq in 2003 didn't start the present terrorist activity, which was already well established.  Mr Corbyn and Mr McDonnell are just opposed to Western values, as they've made very clear.

John GL:
I care about Brexit, too - I want it to happen.

Bob - in what way was Jeremy Corbyn "put there by the Conservatives"? 

On vote-winners and losers: scrapping tuition fees would benefit only well-off students, as the poorer ones never repay their loans anyway.  Means-testing pensioners' benefits is plain common sense, as is the proposal regarding care costs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version