Author Topic: Do we really care about Brexit  (Read 26630 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
Re: Do we really care about Brexit
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2019, 22:08:31 PM »
The "Project Fear" propaganda told us that a Leave vote would bring about economic calamity. 

The term 'project fear' was coined by the leavers trying to discredit those who really know.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
Not sure that's right Bob, these same experts told us there would be economic disaster by not joining the Euro. In hindsight probably the best decision not to join it. It certainly end in the economic disaster that was predicted.

In addition not all experts or business leaders predict an apocalypse, there are plenty that see it will be a challenge short term but the prospects and opportunities will be good for the country. Of course both sides will roll out 'experts' that suit their agenda, but it's not correct to say all experts and business leaders are universally against Brexit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:44:52 AM by Shizzy »
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
There are different types of "experts". I prefer those who are paid by serious financial institutions for their advice, because they will be sacked if they get their advice wrong, or those who have created serious businesses.

I dismiss the generally left-wing intellectuals who have plenty to say but who are as good as unemployable for any serious business or bank.

When it comes to the Bank of England, it is generally hopelessly caught up with trying to listen to all views including the crazy stuff from politicians who have no clue .... including the government itself which is often too cautious for its own good (Conservatives) or too irresponsible with money and always spends more than is realistically safe (labour), so it often comes out with half baked nonsense especially when the Governor himself is really a political appointment who knows he needs to say what the Prime Minister wants or he'll be leaving soon ...

Ruth Lea is my preferred economist.
Lord Digby Jones, Tim Martin and Sir James Dyson are my preferred Industrialist / Entrepreneurs
David Buik is my preferred financial market commentator. 
These people have a clear track record of success engaging with business and getting things correct.

I'm struggling to think of a perfect politician but I am starting to be very impressed with anything and everything Caroline Flint MP (Labour former cabinet member) says about BREXIT. I see her as a likely Labour leader when the ridiculous nonsense of Corbynism collapses ...
Ok .... I admit I admire Jacob Rees Mogg for almost everything he says on anything at all though I can't abide his utterly ridiculous and irresponsible church which is full of paedophiles and which deliberately tries to ban contraception in a cynical ploy to increase its membership ...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 13:03:26 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Pugwash

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2019, 21:38:13 PM »
Sir James Dyson...really?

Offline baldy

« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2019, 22:47:43 PM »
But he's not leaving the UK. He is in fact continuing to grow his business base of staff and research in the UK whilst also expanding in Asia. All he is doing is moving his place of registration of his HQ to Singapore to help strengthen his Asian activities where he expects the strongest future growth to occur.

This is someone who actually knows what he is doing and who employs thousands of UK staff and is generating hundreds of millions of £s in taxes ..... not only corporation tax but mostly through VAT paid on his goods and income tax paid on vast amounts of wages he pays  ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:24:00 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Maxi

Offline baldy

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
He's right and he explains himself perfectly well.  Emma is picking at a list of examples in a hurry and in a way where he is not given the chance to answer and explain each one where jobs are moving abroad or at risk. Most of them are at risk  because of the uncertainties of BREXIT which are mostly down to the Remoaners working with the EU to over-complicate and slow down progress with a BREXIT deal because they are trying to stop it rather than trying to help things move smoothly forward.

There is a big difference between jobs being lost because of BREXIT happening (and when businesses know the terms of any deal) and jobs being lost beforehand due to the uncertainty caused by remoaners making everything more difficult and slow.

In any event, most of the jobs mentioned are actually at risk because of other factors such as diesel cars not selling as well as before due to the general diesel emissions scandal and disel cars being banned from some city centres etc or made to pay more tax ...

Another point would be that actually our UK employment rate is still going up not down overall (seasonally adjusted) ignoring the occasional month when it blips the other way. Our unemployment rate is now at a low point which has not been seen for decades ....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:23:02 PM by baldy »

Offline Maxi

Nissan to cancel X-Trail plan in fresh Brexit blow
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2019, 16:37:35 PM »
Nissan will drop another bombshell into the heart of Britain's car manufacturing ‎industry next week by announcing the cancellation of plans to manufacture its X-Trail model in the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885

Brexit SHOCK: A THIRD of UK firms set to relocate in the event of no deal       

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1081417/no-deal-brexit-news-theresa-may-uk-business-no-deal-Leave-EU-referendum
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 17:17:31 PM by Maxi »

Offline baldy

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:13 AM »
Lots of factors going on here including BREXIT uncertainty and especially the fact that Nissan is part of the Renault-Nissan partnership in which both companies are largely owned by the other with ultimate ownership in France and the French Government holding a significant share ....

On the whole, I'd put this move down mainly to EU politics and currying favour with the French Government who are anti-BREXIT, especially given the timing. In reality, Nissan will make final decisions after seeing what happens in April.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:14:01 AM by baldy »

Offline Maxi

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »
Not Project Fear anymore, but Brexit reality.
David Cameron Quote before referendum.Stay in for the trade, jobs and livelihoods," he added, saying an exit would "trash" the British economy.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2016/06/02/British-PM-Cameron-to-voters-Leaving-EU-would-be-harmful-madness/1911464908958/

Offline baldy

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

That really is Project Fear regurgitated

Nothing new here ...

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Sir James Dyson...really?

I think this actually proves Baldy's point. Sir James sees the future in the emerging economies of the East, not the EU. If he was worried about Brexit he would be moving his HQ to an EU country.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
Dyson's doing what he always does and that is look after number one.

He is keeping his research and development in the UK because he knows, and we all know, the best engineers, innovators, designers and inventors in the world are British. We are the best at manufacturing as well but with quality comes price which is why he has moved his manufacturing to Malasia - cheap labour. Look for Dyson quality to drop. He knows that which is why he is saying his future markets are in Asia where they are used to poor quality products.

Him moving his HQ to Singapore is nothing to do with Brexit. It's in line with most big company bosses ,purely selfish.
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Maxi

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Nissan will move all of their production to Japan on the x trail car where they wont have to pay tariffs when they export to countries which have a deal with the eu, They invested in the Uk as a gateway to Europe.
7000 job losses is not project fear it will be reality.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable said Nissan's withdrawal could be a turning point in Brexit uncertainty, and said it showed that big companies were "very seriously reconsidering their future here".
"I'm afraid that where Nissan leads the others, Toyota, Honda, BMW, the rest of them, we're going to see a down scaling of their operations in the UK," he said.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 18:14:25 PM by Maxi »

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2019, 16:08:24 PM »
Nissan will move all of their production to France

Nope, the production is going to Japan. Ironic that remainers often criticise the Brexit campaign for peddling lies, but seem to be happy to spread misinformation themselves.