Author Topic: Do we really care about Brexit  (Read 36347 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
Re: Do we really care about Brexit
« Reply #480 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »

But they weren't elected as Change UK MPs. I don't consider them to be legitimate unless they resign as MPs and stand in a by-election.

Pete

Including the three former conservative ones..
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Patrick Minford is my favourite economist (when he actually says anything publicly). Unfortunately, he is not on Twitter.

Here's his article in The Telegraph today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/16/mps-have-no-time-waste-theresa-may-destroying-tory-party-needs/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
Patrick Minford is my favourite economist (when he actually says anything publicly). Unfortunately, he is not on Twitter.

Here's his article in The Telegraph today:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/16/mps-have-no-time-waste-theresa-may-destroying-tory-party-needs/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

The same Patrick Minford that said this:

In 2012, Minford told a parliamentary committee that the U.K. leaving the European Union would result in the automotive sector suffering a “big transitional loss.” He claimed that there would be more “gainers than losers” because cheaper imported cars would flood into the U.K. He agreed this would all but destroy U.K. car manufacturing.

Minford is professor of economics at Cardiff Business School, a former advisor to Margaret Thatcher and supporter of the U.K. poll tax introduced in 1989 and which led to riots in 1990. He heads the pro-Brexit campaign group Economists for Free Trade (EFT), formerly known as Economists for Brexit. This group denies climate change, preferring neoliberal-style environmental deregulation, and has been pushing for a “no deal” Brexit scenario.

Offline baldy

« Reply #483 on: May 16, 2019, 17:44:06 PM »
Your quote contains several misleading and / or false claims so its not surprising that you do not supply any source for it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:48:20 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline mojo

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #484 on: May 17, 2019, 16:14:47 PM »
I'll bite

Source for loss of car manufacturing
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmfaff/c115-iii/c11501.htm
questions 138 onwards

Question 124 onwards is interesting too, there he recommends a 10 year transition to mitigate the shock.  He also recognises that UK will be in a weak bargining position....
Being House of Commons publication it is a record of fact not opinion

Cheers

Moggie

Offline baldy

« Reply #485 on: May 17, 2019, 17:56:27 PM »
Yes, that was the part I thought might be true.

The claim about climate change is simply nonsense as no-one with any intelligence denies climate change which has been going on for ever - warmer and cooler in cycles.

What was probably meant was whether it is man-made or whether the UK drastically reducing its green-house gas emissions actually does any good for the enormous cost incurred.

Offline baldy

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
Re: Boris Johnson crushes leadership rivals in poll of Tory members
« Reply #487 on: May 17, 2019, 20:20:48 PM »
Today's online Times article:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-crushes-leadership-rivals-in-poll-of-tory-members-6x5fcrcx3?shareToken=b141b8b4a44db031a701503fc0b16226

If BoJo does become PM and god help us if he does he will have to call a general election because he has no hope of passing a Brexit deal with minority at present. That would be too big a gamble as May proved.

Considering the tories hardly ever elect the favourite he won’t be PM before we Leave the EU. And he won’t want to be either. Whoever is PM before Brexit has a short political career.

Offline baldy

Interesting Telegraph article today:

The fraudulent Labour movement will be the first shock victim of the Brexit Party
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/17/fraudulent-labour-movement-will-first-shock-victim-brexit-party/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

Offline baldy

Re: Boris Johnson crushes leadership rivals in poll of Tory members
« Reply #489 on: May 18, 2019, 09:19:17 AM »
Today's online Times article:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-crushes-leadership-rivals-in-poll-of-tory-members-6x5fcrcx3?shareToken=b141b8b4a44db031a701503fc0b16226

If BoJo does become PM and god help us if he does he will have to call a general election because he has no hope of passing a Brexit deal with minority at present. That would be too big a gamble as May proved.

Considering the tories hardly ever elect the favourite he won’t be PM before we Leave the EU. And he won’t want to be either. Whoever is PM before Brexit has a short political career.

Well, I doubt if anyone knows what will happen but I imagine that Boris will be the new PM shortly and he will try very hard to be serious and statesman like so as to go down in history as a good PM or better.

I imagine he will run his campaign for the Tory leadership on the basis of cancelling the Barnier - May withdrawal agreement and restarting negotiations with no customs union and full free trade. I am speculating but I guess he may want to prepare for no deal first and take a year or so for full preparations and this may involve cancelling Brexit and going to a general election on the basis of of restarting Brexit and telling the EU to accept the terms wanted or the UK will leave on WTO terms having made full preparations for it.

Treasonous May ruined her negotiations by failing to prepare for no deal so that she has no negotiating position and no credibility that she could walk away.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:08:31 AM by baldy »

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #490 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
The issue is Boris is well liked by grass roots but not the parliamentary party, and they could scupper his chances.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
Is Fromage's Brexit party going to be illegally funded again by his rich mates?

As I suspected;

Former Labour prime minister Gordon Brown told the Guardian he had written to the Electoral Commission urging it to investigation whether the party is safeguarding adequately to prevent “dirty money” infiltrating funding.

He is due to make a speech in Glasgow about it, warning that democracy is “fatally undermined if unexplained, unreported and thus undeclared and perhaps under the counter and underhand campaign finance is being used to influence the very elections that are at the heart of our democratic system”.

“Now Mr Farage heads a new Brexit Party which is making questionable claims about the true source of its funding at a time when the Electoral Commission has warned of the dangers of multiple, small, anonymous donations being a cover for dirty money,” he will add.

source of story for Baldy's sake;
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-party-funding-nigel-farage-who-explained-overseas-dark-money-loophole/

Offline baldy

« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »
This is simply a smear campaign by the UK's second worst Prime Minister since WW2 based on speculation and jealousy.

It is perfectly reasonable to believe that over a hundred thousand people have signed up to be a Brexit Party "supporter" and pay the standard £25 each.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:51 PM »
Well, you would say that!

This is simply a smear campaign by the UK's second worst Prime Minister since WW2 based on speculation and jealousy.

The worst being Thatcher.

Offline baldy

« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2019, 13:23:49 PM »
Terrible tin-eared Treasonous May