Author Topic: Do we really care about Brexit  (Read 35715 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Do we really care about Brexit
« Reply #555 on: July 05, 2019, 23:59:42 PM »
Well, here is the first record my brother and I plus a school-friend played at the first ever booking of what was then called Sounds like 247 Roadshow which soon after became Sounds Kool which later became Exodus Roadshow.

The year was 1978 and the venue was a large youth centre in the St Pauls area of Bristol.

The name of the record applies as much now to the UK as it did to us at the time... I did not retire as a mobile/club DJ until 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mwGi8UhLHw

I am certain of this record being the first we played because we spent a day choosing it before the event. Not only that, but there was an unforgettably large attendance crowding out the venue as the youth centre manager had advertised the event as if we were the real 247 Roadshow ...   For our own safety, we had to be locked in the building at the end and we had to wait for the police to confirm it was safe to leave to go home ...

The school friend was Mark Kenyon. His name still often appears in the credits of the largest BBC live entertainment shows as the lighting director or lighting designer / contractor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:52:09 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #556 on: July 06, 2019, 14:21:59 PM »
there was an unforgettably large attendance crowding out the venue as the youth centre manager had advertised the event as if we were the real 247 Roadshow ... 

Nothing changes. Only this time it’s the Brexit party exaggerating to attract more followers.

Strange choice of record though baldy. Don’t ever remember it being a big hit here ever??
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline baldy

« Reply #557 on: July 06, 2019, 17:30:56 PM »
Well, it had been something of a dance chart hit earlier that year and The Jacksons overall were really big at the time for disco dancing, especially for girls who tended to start any dancing off before the boys ...

Another relevant point was that the membership of the youth centre was about 85% black and we knew they adored The Jacksons. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 22:24:37 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline baldy

Today's Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/06/britain-could-face-200bn-eu-bail-out-bill-unless-clean-brexit/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

"Britain could face paying more than €200bn to the European Union in the event of a eurozone bail-out unless the UK leaves under a managed clean Brexit, according to leading City and business figures.

The warning comes from the Brexit Coalition, a new grouping that represents 29 diverse pro-Brexit campaigning organisations, including the Alliance of British Entrepreneurs, Artists for Brexit and Farmers for Britain as well as Labour Leave and Green Leaves.

In a letter sent this week to Conservative Party constituency chairmen and senior Tory officials, the Brexit Coalition urges members to support a new prime minister who is “committed unequivocally” to backing a clean WTO-based Brexit, one which would avoid having to pay such massive contingent liabilities to the EU.

Daniel Hodson, coalition president and former Liffe boss, says that under existing rules the UK Government is obligated to a contribution of around €207bn (£186bn) to any bail-out should the eurozone tip into financial crisis.

“Given the current dire straits in which the eurozone finds itself, a financial crisis is an increasingly likely scenario,” he says.

The UK is liable for at least this amount – a figure which could grow to as much as €441bn or even more – if the Brexit process becomes so drawn out that it overlaps with the next EU Multiannual Financial Framework.

Mr Hodson, who is also chairman of The City for Britain, adds: “These liabilities have not been discussed deeply enough in the Brexit debate. To avoid the scenario in which the UK would have to rescue EU banks despite not being a member of the eurozone, the UK needs to leave the EU and cut its contractual ties as soon as possible.”

The letter also raises two other areas of national importance which the pro-Brexit campaigners claim have been ignored by the national media but need greater scrutiny: defence and the fishing industry.

With regard to the UK’s defence, the campaigners claim the country risks losing permanent control of key areas of decision making over its armed forces and defence strategy.

They claim that the current EU proposal, recently adopted by the Government, effectively brings the UK under the influence of the EU’s new “Defence Union”, which could have the affect of “immediately eroding democratic UK accountability over aspects of defence finance, procurement and foreign policy”. It also fears that even intelligence architecture and procurement could fall under EU influence.

The third area of concern should the UK stay closely aligned with the EU, and not opt for a clean departure, is the continued overfishing of the UK’s territorial waters and the disastrous impact on the Scottish fishing industry.

A managed exit would help the Scottish fishing industry, and doing so could help cement the union. The coalition also proposes a “Brexit Kitemark” to all sitting MPs and parliamentary candidates regardless of party based on their commitment to a managed Brexit."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 14:19:39 PM by baldy »

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #559 on: July 07, 2019, 19:48:42 PM »
Blimey, that really is Project fear mark 3 on steroids!  [app]
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline baldy

« Reply #560 on: July 08, 2019, 07:23:34 AM »
and rocket boosters ....  :) :laugh:

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #561 on: July 09, 2019, 17:32:19 PM »
any possibility of keeping on topic.... without being chastised
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

« Reply #562 on: July 09, 2019, 20:03:12 PM »
It's clear that Jeremy Hunt is not totally committed to BREXIT by 31st October.

His new name should be:

Can Kicking Hunt

Say it carefully folks!

Offline baldy

« Reply #563 on: July 09, 2019, 20:05:25 PM »
any possibility of keeping on topic.... without being chastised

See you next Tuesday

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #564 on: July 09, 2019, 22:11:08 PM »
Costs Of Brexit See Attached

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #565 on: July 10, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
Do you have a source to back up the figures?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #566 on: July 10, 2019, 20:03:16 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/10/nigel-farage-seventh-on-list-of-meps-outside-earnings

Nigel Farage has earned between £524,000 and £700,000 through TV and radio work in the last four years

https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2019/03/03/eu-membership-is-a-bargain/

Being a member of the EU costs us only around 34p a day each.

https://economia.icaew.com/news/april-2019/brexit-costs-uk-600m-a-week

Brexit costs UK £600m a week

That's 3 sources Just simply using google to back this up.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 17:55:15 PM by Maxi »