Author Topic: Bypass  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
Bypass
« on: December 29, 2017, 19:23:02 PM »
 Westbury has a Bypass!!!...and it's Oldfield Road!!!
This road needs monitoring, with the speed, volume and size ever increasing, it is like a main road! Something needs to be done. I have seen very large multiple wheeled  vehicles going through!  As I have stated before, the traffic calming makes no difference, vehicles race to go through the middle.
Why didn't the gritters get down this road?
...more houses being built, more to be built. What type of people are granting all these Applications? Do they have a brain? Where are all  the facilities for the town as it is.
Councillors, where are you, and why aren't you  looking after us and saying enough is enough????? :(
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: Bypass
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 20:26:00 PM »
It’s not just Oldfield, it’s many roads across town. Leigh Road and Eden Vale is an ever more popular run for folk from Warminster. Bithsn Park and The Mead are often like race tracks. It’ll only get worse with the increasing number of houses, and you say.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 22:49:04 PM »
It will become an absolute nightmare in a couple of years, once the 300 houses are built on the fields, the road cannot cope with the volume of traffic as it is and if the flyover does go ahead, there could be 300 or more extra cars using it, the speed humps will have to be removed or no one will go anywhere.The town will soon become gridlocked, we moved here 15 years ago as it was the 'countryside' it is now a sprawling town where getting anywhere in the mornings or afternoons is nigh on impossible.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 16:07:59 PM »
Westbury has a Bypass!!!...and it's Oldfield Road!!!
This road needs monitoring, with the speed, volume and size ever increasing, it is like a main road! Something needs to be done. I have seen very large multiple wheeled  vehicles going through!  As I have stated before, the traffic calming makes no difference, vehicles race to go through the middle.
Why didn't the gritters get down this road?
...more houses being built, more to be built. What type of people are granting all these Applications? Do they have a brain? Where are all  the facilities for the town as it is.
Councillors, where are you, and why aren't you  looking after us and saying enough is enough? ??? ? :(

I am a town councillor and I am THE Wiltshire Councillor for this area (Westbury West) and have been since 2009.

In March this year, I circulated a newsletter to every home in the area which included the  info seen below. Item No.s 1 and 8 are particularly relevant.  Just because a resident does not understand the issues and makes a noise about it, does not mean they are right or that the council or councillor is not doing anything relevant.

"Here are some of my activities over the last 4 years:

1. Fighting against un-planned housing estates
As chair of the town council’s Highways, Planning and Development Committee (2013-15), I led the fight against unplanned new estates proposed by developers under new laws introduced by the Conservative-LibDem Coalition Government (2010-15). These allow large scale extra housing when the local 5-year land supply is deemed insufficient. The Conservative administration at County Hall failed to maintain a 5-year land supply until this year, directly resulting in many hundreds of extra homes being built in Westbury now. None of these are in Westbury West though. The one large estate (west of the sailing lake and north of the railway line by Oldfield Road) in Westbury West which was permitted last year was already an allocated site in the Wiltshire Core Strategy plan.

2. Fighting to Improve Westbury Shops
As a member of the Town Improvement Group, and in response to the sharply declining state of our town centre shops, I proposed that the town council should provide free parking in the town centre as this would be the quickest and cheapest way of turning things around. The reality is that after County Hall Conservatives insisted on charges and stopped the town council from subsidising free parking a few years ago, the High Street (and elsewhere) has declined rapidly. If nothing is done to help our town centre, it will become a real disgrace with more empty or charity shops and possibly boarded up shops. We cannot afford to do nothing! Almost all town councillors agreed with me and then agreed with the cost as being worthwhile compared to the cost of any other form of investment that might make a difference.
 The 2 Hours free parking will apply to all three town centre car parks and will benefit everyone, whether they drive or not through improving the quality of shops in the future compared to the dire state they were heading towards. The cost is 7% of the town council’s budget for 2017-18 and represents an average of 63p per Council Tax-paying household in Westbury per month or less than 0.5% of any total Council Tax bill.

3. Campaigning for the UK to Leave the EU
Whilst I do not normally engage in national politics, I felt that the EU Referendum last Summer was a matter of great importance that would affect our local communities very  significantly. I felt compelled to take a Vote Leave position and joined the national Vote Leave campaign. I was proud to deliver Vote Leave leaflets around Westbury West.

4. Saving Westbury’s Main Post Office
I put down a motion at the town council earlier this month for a task group to investigate the costs of running the main Post Office in the town centre on a last resort basis – ie. only if no-one else steps in to set up a new main post office after the current one closes in October. Almost all town councillors agreed. I believe that such a project would be entirely financially feasible because Post Office Ltd pays a “salary” to cover most running costs. The main post office is too important to ignore and leave to others who may not act. We cannot take the risk that Westbury would be without a main post office. As the town council already pays the rent for the Heritage Centre, there is scope to combine a new post office with the Heritage Centre into one shop unit.

5. Unblocking the footpath between Oldfield Road / Penleigh - Westbury Station by claiming a new right of way
I am acting as the co-ordinator for the footpath right-of-way claim. I submitted a claim with more than a dozen signed witness statements from people who are prepared to stand up at a hearing to press the claim. The legal claim is based on 20 years of use without permission, not in secret and without force. I am also pressing the developer of the adjacent housing site to construct a combined cycleway / footpath which would connect up the same route as soon as possible.

6. Completing the Leigh Park Community Centre and Nursery project
As the architect of the original combined project, founding chair of the original community association (2003-6) and lead campaigner for the complete redesign of the Leigh Park Local Centre, I have achieved several major goals. These include the Toucan Crossing over Leigh Park Way to enable safe crossings between the primary school and the shops car park, stopping a Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall (with training centre) which would have used up the nearby car parks and claiming the church site as a day nursery site via negotiations with Persimmon. They eventually agreed after a detailed survey across the estate asking residents what the community really needs. The community centre was built in accordance with my outline design and, under the recent good management of a team of trustees and a hall manager, it is now very successful. I have been a trustee and rep for Wiltshire Council’s Westbury Area Board over the last 4 years. My latest achievement was successfully claiming the unused nursery site (next to the community centre), in my role as local Wiltshire Councillor and as Secretary (at the time) of the charity, for the community centre itself. A long peppercorn lease of the whole site will soon be granted to the community centre charity. A day nursery business which currently uses the community centre is already lined up to put a day nursery building on the newly-expanded community centre site. The site already has outline planning permission for a nursery.

7. Campaigning on Litter and Dog Mess
I proposed that the town council employs a new dog warden (to be called a town caretaker or similar) focussed on removing dog mess and fining offenders and potentially able to take on other roles in time. After lengthy research, during which the need for other roles quickly emerged, Cllr Sue Ezra helped move this forward with a new proposal to take on someone to handle dog mess, litter, public toilets and to report a host of other issues around the town to Wiltshire Council and chase for action etc. I collected over 400 signatures on my anti-dog mess petition which asked for action. This pressed the town council to proceed. I am proud to have initiated the successful new town caretaker role that is helping to keep Westbury cleaner and repaired in many ways. I also took part in Litter-picking days in both Oldfield Park and then Leigh Park.

8. Campaigning for the Mane Way bridge to be built over the railway line to connect with Station Road and provide traffic relief for Oldfield Road
During the planning application process for 300 homes on the allocated housing site last year, I successfully pressed for a developers contribution of £1m towards the bridge as the main priority. Wiltshire Council is now looking for the remaining £700k so that it can be built by the council.

9. Setting up the new Youth Club at Leigh Park Community Centre and helping to reopen the closed Youth Centre building in Eden Vale
As chair of the Local Youth Network (2013-16) working with local young people and as a trustee of the community centre, we successfully arranged for the new youth club. Unfortunately, implementation was delayed because of another change in youth officers which also led to a need to recruit new volunteer leaders. I have also successfully pressed senior officers to work with Westbury Junior School to reopen the closed Youth Centre in Eden Vale Rd."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:20:53 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
Forgive me if I am incorrect but I think my memory serves me well. We owned a property in Oldfield Road when the flood gates were opened for Leigh Park. We had to fight tooth & nail the council to slow down the rat run that emerged overnight the speed at which the cars were travelling was very frightening for all the families that lived there after enjoying a reletively peaceful & safe existance. The idea of the speed humps was as much to put off leigh park residents using Oldfield Road as there would be long delays as it was to slow them down. Whilst councillors were visiting pretty much daily we were told that Persimmon had given the council a pot of money around 750k if I remember rightly & would expect the developers of the site to come up with the extra to build the bridge so Oldfield Road would finally be relieved. Now I know these conversations took place a long time ago guessing somewhere between 1996-1999....whats happened to the stash of cash the council was given by Persimmon Homes?

Offline baldy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »
Damnit, you are spot on. That money is still there, but the cost of the bridge has rocketed. In my opinion, council officers and the district councillors who handled the planning application at the time in 1997/8 messed up by not fully securing the bridge over the railway line at the time. They assumed that the land between Oldfield Road and the Station (west of the sailing lake) would be viable and able to support a S.106 Agreement sum to pay for the rest of the cost of the bridge. The land turned out to be very costly to develop and is now taking decades to build, with the development expected to get its detailed or reserved matters planning permission in 2018. The whole process has involved getting in consultants to check the developer's figures. Eventually, all we got from the S.106 Agreement with the recent outline permission was a lump sum of £1m towards the bridge but that is still not enough. Wiltshire Council is still trying to find the final £700k to build the bridge ... which will have to come from any nearby additional development ... which will happen some time within about a decade or maybe sooner ...

I was not a councillor until 2002.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:27:18 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Damnit

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »
Ahh thats good news then was hoping the council had not used it elsewhere!
 I remember the local councillors at the time being pretty miffed that the agreement for Persimmon being responsible for building the link road had been 'forgotten' to be signed, when we purchased in 1996 our solicitor told us about the development at Leigh park but assured us it would not be an issue because at that time the link road was is the plans submitted, however by the time of building it had disapeared to be left with a very sharp bend and 6 feet of road to nowhere :-(
It is a shame as the land was already in the district plan for building homes, and had been for many years,  that the council did not refuse any further development on any green field sites until that site and the link road was completed.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 19:17:56 PM »
John Bowley will be please to hear that Oldfield Road is so well used. That was his alternative to the Eastern Bypass.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 13:36:51 PM »
i think Silverthreads question has not been answered, She asked, "Who is looking after us", a fair question that no one has the answer to,
No problems just Solutions

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 15:31:58 PM »
i think Silverthreads question has not been answered, She asked, "Who is looking after us", a fair question that no one has the answer to,

The simple answer is "Nobody"!  We are merely a source of revenue!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline baldy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 17:15:20 PM »

Actually, Dorian, you have simply misunderstood the whole thread.

In the first place Silverthreads, who recently moved to Oldfield Road (ie. well after it became busy and had bumps and chicanes added) said:

"Councillors, where are you, and why aren't you  looking after us and saying enough is enough?"

I am the local Wiltshire Councillor and the town councillor (who at the town council has done more than most of the rest put together anyway) and I certainly answered the question.

It is simply nonsense to suggest otherwise. You simply do not understand the issues and what is happening.

Offline baldy

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 20:51:54 PM »

The simple answer is "Nobody"!  We are merely a source of revenue!

Dorian has misled you about the question that was asked. He is muddled and confused.

Your answer to the wrong question is pure rhetoric .... which I would expect from a deeply cynical ex-town councillor and two-times Westbury Mayor like you as you saw first hand that town councillors cannot solve much without support from the principal councils (now merged as Wiltshire Council) and that Wiltshire Council is limited in what it can do by the funding available. Since you retired as a councillor funding for Wiltshire Council's activities has been drastically cut by the Government, leading to evermore difficulties in getting anything new achieved.

At the same time, residents seem to expect more for less and make more noise about anything and everything, and most of the time they have no real understanding of the issues apart from their own confused nonsense.

Part of the problem is that local newspaper reporters (all of them) seem to find it impossible to get anything actually right or if they are on the right track then to actually get the story in the right context with the right details emphasised. This problem is made far worse by some really silly idiots who actually go about forming campaign groups to bang on about issues in the town when they have absolutely no understanding of the system and process they are trying to influence. The fools who kept on banging on about the closed Westbury Hospital tried until recently to stop the vacant old hospital site from being redeveloped as houses - even when this would provide badly needed new homes, both private and affordable.

I have to say that a resident complaining about traffic noise etc on a busy road which they actually moved to recently (within the last 5 years or so)  really takes the biscuit in terms of being divorced from reality ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:24:19 PM by baldy »

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 18:08:21 PM »
i really do appreciate such a cordial, polite, response, you are quite remarkable
No problems just Solutions

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
Baldy,

All you have suggested is that 700K then perhaps there might be a bridge.  This does not help the current situation. Is anything being looked at in the short/medium term to assess the traffic issues on Oldfield Road and perhaps start to address them with remedial measures?
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Pugwash

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »
"This problem is made far worse by some really silly idiots who actually go about forming campaign groups to bang on about issues in the town when they have absolutely no understanding of the system and process they are trying to influence. The fools who kept on banging on about the closed Westbury Hospital tried until recently to stop the vacant old hospital site from being redeveloped as houses - even when this would provide badly needed new homes, both private and affordable."

Russell, I think your contempt for your electorate is showing!  Regarding the hospital, the campaigners were aiming to get the hospital re-opened and provide much needed local facilities for patients in West Wiltshire, a laudable aim in my view.

Going back to the original subject, you say the original Persimmon contribution from the late nineties is still there. Well,  so it should be, together with the appropriate interest payments, amounting to a sizeable sum, and yet even with another recent £1M contribution, there is still a £700K shortfall in funding for the bridge.
It really beggars belief that it may take another ten years to achieve the bridge, and even then,  it will only form part of a residential distributor route and do little to reduce traffic problems.

Still, Happy New Year to all forum readers, where would we be without something to moan about.  :laugh: