Author Topic: Barclays Bank  (Read 2261 times)

Offline VILLAGE IDIOT

• Hugs: 0
  • :)
Barclays Bank
« on: February 02, 2018, 16:04:18 PM »
Sad to see another nail in the high streets coffin as Barclays bank closes on May 18th. :( But a good place to put the Post Office [app]
Never eat yellow snow

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Barclays Bank
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 18:13:36 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the building is put up for sale or to let.

If it is to be sold, it will not be a PO or any shop at all.

I would expect the bank to want the site sold for as much as possible and the best price will come from a developer with an eye on redeveloping the site for flats with no onsite parking. The site has onsite parking currently, so the site is actually larger than might be thought from just looking at the current very ugly building.

Whilst the bank says the closure is about falling use by customers, which I am sure is true, I think the real driving factor is the profit to be made from redeveloping / selling the site for redevelopment. It reminds me of the Ushers brewery in Trowbridge which was a busy profitable brewery running flat out with a full order book (including ales for other brands) and then the residential property market took resi land values to ridiculous levels so that any business site within a smaller town became more valuable as a redevelopment site than for the current business use.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 18:21:03 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
Sad to see another nail in the high streets coffin as Barclays bank closes on May 18th. :( But a good place to put the Post Office [app]
There is no shortage of places to put a Post Office the real problem is getting someone to run it.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
That will leave Lloyds as the only bank with a branch in town. Soon we will have no banking facilities in town at all :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 17:11:38 PM »
So another ATM lost, we will now have to go to Lloyds or Morrisons for a proper ATM. There should really be one on the High Street.

Offline Pugwash

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 17:18:12 PM »
A similar situation  up in my home town but they seem to have a potential solution, although not the answer to all the problems the closures cause for the less mobile customers.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 18:03:35 PM »
So another ATM lost, we will now have to go to Lloyds or Morrisons for a proper ATM. There should really be one on the High Street.

There's an ATM at the petrol station near Aldi.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 21:59:13 PM »
There is also an ATM just inside the door at Aldi too, I wonder how long before Lloyds pull out there hardly seems to be anyone in there at times.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
There is also an ATM just inside the door at Aldi too, I wonder how long before Lloyds pull out there hardly seems to be anyone in there at times.

Exactly what I said when we were discussing it .   When I left my ex husband I started up a bank account of my own with Halifax because they were local. I already had an account with brittania since I was 16 .  Now both of them have gone. I now have to go to trowbridge to go to the bank if I can't do it online. Which at times is a tad inconvenient.

Like Dana said, what about those less mobile or not clued up on mobile banking??  What happens to them? Do they have to rely on others to do it for them ? Or having to run them to different towns just to go to the bank !!What about their privacy? 
All these new homes that are being built??? Hundreds of them ive read. Where are their services to get them to want to buy houses in our town .? The banks closing .. only one left in town . Schools will probably struggle with a sudden influs of a lot of children.  Surgery also will struggle more.   Its the same old story .. buildi g to encourage people but no services or very little to encourage them to stay in the town to shop. Lets not even think about no proper post office actually in westbury that is easily accessed by every old and young and disabled  alike !!

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »

That's what we thought too .. security focused building already , just have to move in ..   shame if it's a no go like Russell has said . Would be perfect. By the bus stop and parking for the elderly and disabled to start with and central where all the shop ( such as they are  ) are situated.  Let's hope no hairdresser, charity or estate agents take it over and it's sold also as Russell has said if a post office can't go there
It's a shame the old post office had to move to the trading estate in the first place and us losing the counter services when it was opposite the  library.  Progress and expansion I suppose .

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 13:47:55 PM »
Mark Hatcliffe, community banking director for Barclays Bristol, said: “We have identified that only 92 customers solely use the counter to undertake their banking, which is why we have taken the difficult decision to close the branch, along with the other statistics mentioned.

“We hope that the availability of our nearest Barclays branch at 32 Market Place, Warminster, access to services at the local Post Office in Westbury, along with our range of digital channels will help to ease the transition for our customers.”

Obviously nobody has told Barclays that we do NOT have a Post Office anymore unless we want to travel outside of the town (excluding the HAM which has very limited parking).
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 16:54:47 PM »
Mark Hatcliffe, community banking director for Barclays Bristol, said: “We have identified that only 92 customers solely use the counter to undertake their banking, which is why we have taken the difficult decision to close the branch, along with the other statistics mentioned.

“We hope that the availability of our nearest Barclays branch at 32 Market Place, Warminster, access to services at the local Post Office in Westbury, along with our range of digital channels will help to ease the transition for our customers.”

Obviously nobody has told Barclays that we do NOT have a Post Office anymore unless we want to travel outside of the town (excluding the HAM which has very limited parking).

Crazy isnt it ?     Shop local we are told or you will lose it .  So having to go to trow or warminster to go to post office then you might as well do your shopping whilst you are there and coinside  everything all in one go .. westbury losses out again .  I wouldnt use the ham for the very reason parking is limited and very dangerous reversing into the road right on the roundabout . In fact ive never been in there since i stopped working at unigate in 1983 .  Certainly wouldnt start using  it just for the post office counter. I would go out of town and do shoppi g at same time .  Sad , but true