Author Topic: New fish and chip restaurant  (Read 3139 times)

Offline VILLAGE IDIOT

• Hugs: 0
  • :)
New fish and chip restaurant
« on: March 23, 2018, 20:30:38 PM »
I see someone has applied for planning permission for a fish and chip restaurant where the co-op bank used to be.
Never eat yellow snow

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
Re: New fish and chip restaurant
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 18:12:45 PM »
Like we need another resturant and takeaway in the high street...in fact in westbury..there is already a fish and chip shop in the highstreet . Why another one ? . We are full of cafes, takeaways and charity shops and estate agents..   Where are the shops we need to buy our everyday items from ? Again , where is a post office that is easily accesible  to everyone ?   Its no wonder when people go out of town to the banks they do their other shopping there at the same time . I know we get told if you dont use it you lose it but it would be nice to have it in the first place .

I heard a rumour via one of the spotted westbury facebook pages that the lloyds bank was closing towards the end of the year as well ... is this true?  If so it will leave our town and surrounding villages without a bank to access and only the one cashpoint machine outside morrisons and the one at tesco in leighpark

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 19:45:38 PM »
I believe there are cashpoints at Lloyds Bank. the fuel station, OneStop and Tesco Express in Trowbridge Road as well as Morrisons and the Leigh Park Tesco Express. In addition, the PO at The Ham, Dilton and Bratton act like cashpoints when you put your card into the card reader at any counter. Also, McColls gives cashback for the smallest of transactions.

One of the facts about Westbury that locals seem amazingly slow to grasp is that the town long ago became a commuter town where most people by far work and shop outside the town rather than in it. The consequence of this is entirely down to market forces. You'll know when Westbury High Street is ready to be knocked down when the cafes, restaurants, take-aways, estate agents and charity shops close down and get boarded up. I don't think this will actually happen. I think that eventually most other shops, except the supermarkets and mini-supermarkets, will close around town leaving most of it concentrated in High Street where it should be anyway ...

I too have seen rumours on Facebook about Lloyds Bank possibly closing. As far as I can tell it's all just rumour based on a suspicion that as Lloyds Bank will soon be the only one left that it must be the next one to go. This is a matter of plain logic but as for when it will happen I don't think anyone really knows ....  It's bound to be within a few years though ...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:20:14 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline baldy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 20:41:48 PM »
It seems some folk think that a decent Fish n Chip restaurant in the High Street will be a good thing that might actually entice new folk into the town centre ...

Apparently, the people involved already run other fish n Chip restaurants on the Dorset coast and know what they are doing. I assume they will be bring fresh fish up from the coast every day ....

This might be a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 15:08:36 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
I see that the proposed new Fish and Chip shop in the High Street did not materialise even though they had council permission with conditions, and the building is still to let,  perhaps this was all a Red Herring??

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:15:03 AM »
I Don't use Portway Fish and Chips as I find the wa the chips look disgusting sorry but true I rather use the Dilton March although he does the fish to Order which is pain but at least its nice chips that look and taste nice and seems to clean his fryer unlike portway Chips which always look dark and really soggy.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 13:45:27 PM »
Portway chips have been like that for years, not sure why people still use it. Agree re Dilton Chippy. I did notice a very long queue outside the chippy on Leigh Park last week, are their chips still good?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 14:42:02 PM »
The Chips are better now for some reason they went horrible a few months ago and I stopped using them but we had some the other week and was back to what they was like before although my son likes the cheesy chips from Dilton has he gets a lot more cheese and the guy asks if he wants more cheese which he does lol.

Offline baldy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 14:53:08 PM »
I see that the proposed new Fish and Chip shop in the High Street did not materialise even though they had council permission with conditions, and the building is still to let,  perhaps this was all a Red Herring??

As far as I know, the prospective new tenant obtained their planning permission for a change of use of the premises to fish n chip restaurant and take-away (hot food) but after the upstairs occupiers complained about possible smells from the cooking etc. they did not proceed to take the lease ...

It seems we have three empty former bank premises in the High Street and not much indication that anyone wants to occupy any of them.

One of the reasons I left the town council was because no-one there was interested in backing a project to set up a new PO in the High Street run by the town council.  It would have made a loss but no more than other projects that serve a good purpose such as running The Laverton.  In effect, the annual loss would have been about the same as all the premises costs of rent, rates, maintenance etc. The PO would pay a proportion of the takings which just about covers staff costs ...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 15:08:20 PM by baldy »

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 22:17:10 PM »
Portway chips have been like that for years, not sure why people still use it. Agree re Dilton Chippy. I did notice a very long queue outside the chippy on Leigh Park last week, are their chips still good?

Leigh parks fish and chip shop has to be the best in westbury i reckon . The chips are lovely .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 22:19:00 PM by Debs »

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 14:44:56 PM »
Regarding the comment made by Baldy about the occupants above the proposed fish and chip complaining about possible smells, it appears that the two maisonettes are unoccupied.

Offline baldy

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 17:15:58 PM »
They were occupied at the time. And the adjacent ones.