Author Topic: WESTBURY AND ITS SERVICES  (Read 195 times)

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 5
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
WESTBURY AND ITS SERVICES
« on: June 04, 2018, 19:02:56 PM »
I HAVE WRITTEN TO THE LOCAL PRESS ABOUT THE THE HIGHEST INCREASE IN THE THE COUNCIL PRECEPT AND WHAT WE ARE GETTING IN  RETURN... nothing. IM FED UP WITH COUNCILLORS SAYING WHAT THEY HAVE DONE FOR THE TOWN, WHEN WE ALL KNOW THEIR POWERS HOLD VERY LITTLE POWER, but surely the pavements and parking is not at least an area that they can make representations to their peers. Try walking along the Trowbridge road, .. you cant over hanging hedgerows prevent this at your peril proceed! The cemetery, an utter disgrace yet again. such ordinary issues tat cant be addressed by out town council. even Leigh park where a resident Councillor lives cant ess the danger of insane parking blinding the view of other drivers and the roundabout so overgrown that to you have to reach from you car to see if its ok to proceed. I am not looking for Town Councillors to be able to deliver NHS budgets or indeed schooling , but keeping our pavements a safe place to walk , is surely not beyond the wisdom of some Town Councillors to implement, but again maybe it is
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: WESTBURY AND ITS SERVICES
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »
As usual, you are mixing up which council does each service.

The town council is not a part of Wiltshire Council. They are separate bodies with separate budgets and they set their call on council tax (called their "precept") separately.

As you say, town councillors have very little powers. Just about the only two powers worth mentioning are:

1. The power to set a budget and so a council tax precept to use for projects which will help to improve the town.  Westbury Town Council provides lots of projects and activities that many people do appreciate. It does not cut the grass or hedges or plants on roundabouts because that is what Wiltshire Council is supposed to do. Having said that, the town council does employ a "town caretaker" who does go out to look at things and he will report matters that need attention to Wiltshire Council and will check whether it gets done. If not, he will actually do the work if it is urgent or serious and report this to WC.

2. It is a statutory consultee for all sorts of public consultations. This is probably the main way that the town council exerts influence on behalf of the local electors on other bodies such as Wiltshire Council.

You will receive replies to your nonsense, Dorian. It is a pity that you feel the need to put your nonsense in writing.

It would be better for you if you went around asking people how to get things done rather than think you know what the problem is or who needs to do anything as usually you get it so muddled up that you cause more trouble than existed before you got involved ...
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline DORIAN

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 13:00:38 PM »
i would not expect any less than the reply given, always critical, accusing of being muddled, always judging people

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 14:40:29 PM »
Dorian, rather than write to the local rag why don't you pick up the phone and call Wiltshire Council. I recently contacted them due to overgrown visibility splays and with 48hrs it was sorted.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline DORIAN

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 15:14:09 PM »
i am glad it worked for you shizzy, as i did ring, ref the Trowbridge road overhanging hedge row preventing safe passage and got nowhere, my major point here is why should we the residents have to resort to ringing the council when we have councillors who surely are aware of the issues i bought to the attention of the newspaper. I have a 1 and half hour to work and the same to get home, and in those times the wcc are not at their desks.!! Does that somehow explain my rationale ?

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 15:43:06 PM »
I use the "My Wiltshire" app to report things like hedges etc. It gets things done.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 18:10:46 PM »
Dorian

Councillors do not go around looking for something to do. We do not walk up and down streets looking for a problem to report. If we did, we would get nothing else done.

If people have or see a problem, they are supposed to contact the council and ask the relevant officers to deal with it.

If that does not work or if advice is needed on something more particular, contact the relevant ward councillor for Westbury Town Council or the relevant division councillor for Wiltshire council.

Wiltshire Council has a sophisticated system for handling calls and the MyWiltshire app which all work quite well. Sometimes the Wiltshire Council system does not work in that a response back to you on progress does not happen. Personally, I think this mainly happens when the problem has been explained so badly that no-one can work out what it was anyway or they just don't see it as a problem that needs a fix yet. With hedges, they won't cut it until about mid-June or so due to bird nesting and verges these days do not get grass cut due to allowing more bio-diversity and more wild flowers to grow...

Yes, I'm saying that some folk are just wrong when they think something is wrong ...

Anyway, for these hopelessly muddled folk who can't cope with the system, there is a fail safe system which I helped to set up at the town council.

Now read this carefully as it will be your best bet for a solution.

The town council has a town caretaker. Ring the town council and ask for him.  He goes round the town looking to see if things are getting done properly. He reports them to WC. He will go back to check if it is fixed and will chase things up. He will even do the job himself if WC can't get it done quick enough and report that to WC as well.

Dorian, he is going to be  your answer to everything. Just ring him ....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 19:56:36 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter