Author Topic: Our white horse  (Read 611 times)

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
Our white horse
« on: July 11, 2018, 19:01:29 PM »
Russell,  i see you have managed to rile a lot of people up again .  [app] 
Spotted westbury is full of posts about you and your comments . Your rude comments about oafs and idiots feally rile people up as im quite sure you know

On the same thread i see westbury has made some of the newspapers.  Mail on line ... sun  for a start and i know the london daily telegraph were contacting people in wesrbury trying to find out who put the red cling film over the white horse.     
 My thought on the red cross across the horse is this ...   its not ruining the horse at all . The red cling film plastic was pegged into the grass at the sides of the horse not touchi g or defacing the horse. So why couldnt it stay.  I know the english heritage society who owns it instructed the rown council to remove it . But as no damage was done i dont see the problem . Im not a football supportwr, and never have been .  But it would have been a bit of a moral boost for every one to get a bit patriotic and get behind our team
Another point thats been brought up was how fast the town council moved to remove it. Shame they arent that fast when there  is other things much more important that take much longer to bet sorted out 😊

Offline Debs

• facebook
Re: Our white horse
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 19:50:41 PM »

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 22:14:26 PM »
It is a protected monument.

If folk are left to alter it, however temporarily, they will then try other ideas.

In any event, I was not talking about the red cross that got removed (at the request of English Heritage).

I was warning that the police will take action against anyone who tries it again.

I'm not bothered about the thoughts of the gobby mindless oafs who just lob insults. Most of them don't vote and when they do, I'm pretty sure its not for me anyway not least because most live outside my area.

I'm not running in any more elections anyway .....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:40:20 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 22:48:35 PM »

I'm not running in any more elections anyway .....

I for one think its a shame .  You have been a good councillor from what ive seen...   its just sometimes the way you talk about others get people so riled up

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
Is the White Horse not in Bratton Parish Council area? If so why are Westbury Town Council getting involved?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
It is the Westbury White Horse which faces Westbury.

Westbury Parish used to be much larger 200 years ago and included what is now known as Bratton, Heywood and Dilton Marsh. So, when the modern layout of parish boundaries occurred, the new boundary happened to put the horse figure into Bratton Parish, but the figure is still called Westbury White Horse.

The whole point of Westbury Town council helping out with maintaining the look of the horse figure is that this benefits Westbury.  the white Horse is the local icon to Westbury. It is perfectly normal for a town council to spend money on projects that benefit the town, whether the location of the project is in or outside the parish boundary.

Just ignore the parish boundary. Bratton Parish Council would certainly not contribute any money as it has next to none, being so small, and because it knows the horse does not face Bratton and it does face and benefit Westbury.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 4
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 23:30:53 PM »
The Council wasn't so prompt with the vandals who painted "Stop the War" slogans on the White Horse... that was there for a considerable time and was a lot worse than the obviously temporary (and patriotic) cling film.

Offline baldy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 23:48:24 PM »
That was before the town council had established a close working relationship with Historic England which now allows a relatively smooth approval process each time the council wants the horse cleaned at any time before Historic England would do it (which means waiting many years otherwise).

This time, the town council has only recently funded a new clean up with many local partners doing the work.

Historic England owns and controls what happens to the horse, so when they say they want the cross removed ... it will be removed without debate .......... and without asking drunken footie fans or other folk what do they think ......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:24:08 AM by baldy »

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 5
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 16:19:20 PM »
of he goes again on drunken football fans
No problems just Solutions

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 23:20:39 PM »
I wasn’t even drunk!
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!