Author Topic: Recycling - Blue bin  (Read 810 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
Recycling - Blue bin
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
I was shocked to have a tag attached to my recycling bin last time it was emptied informing me that I can now recycle plastic items other than bottles!

I've been doing that for years. If a plastic item has the recycle sign on it, in it went. Otherwise what's the point?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
Re: Recycling - Blue bin
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 14:49:49 PM »
There are a myriad of different types of plastics. Each requires recycling differently. Baically Bob you've been contaminating your recycling and causing the batch for be landfilled...
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 16:03:54 PM »
I doubt it. It goes to a sorting depot where they manually sort it out. After all they have to separate the cardboard from it. - before they chuck the whole lot into landfill! ;D

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 22:03:09 PM »
I was shocked to have a tag attached to my recycling bin last time it was emptied informing me that I can now recycle plastic items other than bottles!

I've been doing that for years. If a plastic item has the recycle sign on it, in it went. Otherwise what's the point?

Youre not alone bob.  We have too...  so long as it was a plastic contaimer it went into the bin for recycling. Never hid them . No one said anything.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 16:35:53 PM »
They don't give what the reason for the change is. I assume they just wanted to restrict the volume of plastic but have now decided that they can recycle more. Have they suddenly got bigger sorting resources?

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 19:18:46 PM »

Youre not alone bob.  We have too...  so long as it was a plastic contaimer it went into the bin for recycling. Never hid them . No one said anything.

If I remember rightly, when recycling first started here we were told we could recycle ANY plastics that had certain recycling codes (e.g. PET 4) in the blue bin.  Obviously at some time later they decided they only wanted plastic bottles but did not publicise this.  Surely if it has a recycle code you should be able to do this and let Wiltshire Council sort out the logistics?
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »

Surely if it has a recycle code you should be able to do this and let Wiltshire Council sort out the logistics?

I agree but we're talking about Wiltshire Council here who, along with most all other councils, couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up in a brewery never mind the logistics of sorting plastic for recycling!