Author Topic: Beer  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
Re: Beer
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 21:03:30 PM »
I'm off to Bridport next week, courtesy of Dorset Police who think I deserve to not have 3 points added to my licence for a speeding offence if I attend a "Driver Awareness" Course for about 4 hours.

The only thing I'm worried about is looking at your mobile is banned for the whole course ....   and anyone caught looking will have the 3 points reinstated and be fined as well as the course fee .... 

This will be the first time I have actually switched it off rather than left it on silent ...

I've been on one of those speed awareness courses.

They just tell you what they want you to hear and most of it is lies..

Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Worth putting up with it though to avoid the points.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 10:03:14 AM »
Christ, talk about going OFF TOPIC!!!!!
No problems just Solutions

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 13:20:47 PM »

Ha ha, beer, a chippy in Sherbourne, best route to Weymouth, the bypass and speeding all in one topic
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 17:33:51 PM »

Ha ha, beer, a chippy in Sherbourne, best route to Weymouth, the bypass and speeding all in one topic
Best chat we've had for ages, we should do it again. Perhaps over a couple of beers. ;D

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 00:57:10 AM »
I'm off to Bridport next week, courtesy of Dorset Police who think I deserve to not have 3 points added to my licence for a speeding offence if I attend a "Driver Awareness" Course for about 4 hours.

The only thing I'm worried about is looking at your mobile is banned for the whole course ....   and anyone caught looking will have the 3 points reinstated and be fined as well as the course fee .... 

This will be the first time I have actually switched it off rather than left it on silent ...

I also had to a speed awareness course after drivng to kings lynn for a family funeral .  Was getting fed up bei g in the car as the only driver and put my foot down when we were quite near grr    first tume iver been caught speeding .  I  had to do my course at the bath race course which i found quite funny.    Was quite a good course as a matter of fact

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »

What did you think of the course then Baldy?

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 19:21:04 PM »
Surprisingly upbeat and interesting.

It was presented by two police civilian staff who are qualified driving instructors.

I was a bit surprised at the short and brief section on braking / stopping distances as I had expected the whole point of an awareness course for speedy drivers was to consider issues arising from speed including safety.  In the event, there was one brief section with a table of stopping distances that basically emphasised that much of the distance was taken up by thinking before the braking happened. I think no-one argued with any of it because this meant we moved quickly onto the next section of the course.

Personally, I think modern cars stop way quicker than ones from say 30 years ago because they now have much bigger wider tyres and efficient disc brakes with automatic anti-skid mechanisms and I tend to be ready to brake in anticipation of needing to brake (rather than braking anyway in case of a need to brake ) ...

Funnily enough, I was sat next to a bloke in his 80s who had been caught by the same speed camera as me in Bournemouth doing 50 in a 40mph zone on a road which used to be 50mph ...

I had to laugh when he said that the greatest dangers to look out for on roads are elderly drivers and especially lady drivers and most especially elderly lady drivers. It turned out that he lives in Salcombe where the average age is about 80 and most drivers drive far too slow ... !   AS the spokesperson for our "team" looking at issues, I read out these comments to the whole class and got a lady from the next door team poking me in the back for alleged mysogyny ....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 19:28:53 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 19:21:07 PM »

Funnily enough, I was sat next to a bloke in his 80s who had been caught by the same speed camera as me in Bournemouth doing 50 in a 40mph zone on a road which used to be 50mph ...

I had to laugh when he said that the greatest dangers to look out for on roads are elderly drivers and especially lady drivers and most especially elderly lady drivers.

He's right! but include young lady drivers in that as well.  :D

Offline baldy

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 15:47:10 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how many lady drivers cannot judge the width of their car when going through a narrow space ... or rather when hogging the middle of the space when going past a line of parked cars so that they leave about 3 feet gap between them and the parked cars ..... and so almost take out their own wing mirrors against cars coming the other way who actually have the right of way ...

It seems to me that female youngsters these days are generally pretty hopeless at driving compared to females who were young 30 years ago ... 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:23:25 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 21:11:48 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how many lady drivers cannot judge the width of their car when going through a narrow space ... or rather when hogging the middle of the space when going past a line of parked cars so that they leave about a 3 feet gap between them and the parked cars .....

You can't really blame them for that we have been telling them things are bigger than they actually are for years.... :D

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 21:31:42 PM »
 ;D very true Bob...Baldy it never fails to amaze me how Renault drivers...particually Red ones... do not drive with due care & attention in a quiet family filled cul de sac taking the corner on the wrong side of the road! Touché  ;D

Offline baldy

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
;D very true Bob...Baldy it never fails to amaze me how Renault drivers...particually Red ones... do not drive with due care & attention in a quiet family filled cul de sac taking the corner on the wrong side of the road! Touché  ;D

I always drive with due care and attention and especially with the ability to stop quickly if something is in the road or likely to move into the road. I've never had a crash that was my fault. I do tend to cut corners on roads where there is no central solid white line and there is a clear view ahead and no oncoming traffic .... this is perfectly safe and is no problem. 

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 20:53:08 PM »
Baldy it is a matter of opinion, and one I witnessed almost daily,  driving on the wrong side of the road round a blind corner, unless super powers allow sight through a dense hedge, in a family filled cul de sac, is not taking due care. Many motorists have been the 'cause' of an accident without actually having a crash.

Offline baldy

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 05:32:34 AM »
Well, you can only be talking about the road where I have lived for the last 10 years which bends left on the way in and right on the way out, so you must be talking about me going out of the cul-de-sac.

I have never had any issue travelling out of the cul-de-sac ..... though there are usually cars parked on the left just after the bend when going out of the cul-de-sac which means that one has to drive a very bendy course if you are going to hug the left hand side of the road. The reality is that as you go around the bend to the right on the way out you usually have to pull across to the other side of the road (the right) whilst still in the bend to get around the cars parked just beyond the bend on the left.

You are simply talking rubbish when suggesting that I am doing anything wrong.

The only issue I have had in this cul-de-sac is on the way in when some people have been positioned in the road on the wrong side in the way that you seem to be accusing me of.  When this has happened, I have been ready to brake to stop but so far the other drivers have pulled out of my way in time for me to not need to slow down ... though this might have been a bit close for comfort which I definitely hold them responsible for in the sense that they were on the wrong side of the road and going slowly which caused them to take too long to get out of my way (it is my right of way on the left side of the road).

This nonsense reminds me of an oaf who used to live at Becks Mill who usually reversed out of the yard into the cul-de-sac and turned backwards towards the pond and stopped and then pulled forward without checking whether any car had followed him out of the yard (going forwards). He did not like it when I simply went forward following him out and turned left and out whilst he was doing his backwards stop out of the way and gear change ... which meant he ended up behind me on the way out of the cul-de-sac. He felt he had the right to delay me and he was simply unable to grasp that he had no right go in two directions at once. What he was trying to do was to reverse and then suddenly go forward whilst holding up anyone behind. He has no right to do this.  I regard this as as his issue based on his misunderstanding that when he turned backwards out of the way to stop and then go forward he should have expected to stay still to check if other traffic is about before pulling forward. It was never an issue for me except that the oaf started to get into a rage ... which was his problem not mine ...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:44:35 AM by baldy »