Author Topic: Electric / Hybrid cars  (Read 686 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
Electric / Hybrid cars
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
I have had a new Plug-in Hybrid car now for a few weeks which apart from anything else saves me quite a bit in tax.

I'll have to see how much it's costing to charge everyday before I can say how much it's saving me in fuel costs though. It does make you slightly paranoid though because you find yourself constantly looking at the battery life wondering how much further you can get before the engine cuts in. Range anxiety it's called!

The infrastructure is not here yet for total electric. Nothing worse than running out of battery and nowhere to recharge... you would have to plan journeys very carefully.
I think the governments target of all electric cars by 2040 is optimistic.

I am London congestion charge exempt now.  ;D
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Electric / Hybrid cars
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 19:26:45 PM »
They seem to be ridiculously expensive and unreliable for long journeys as well ....

You must have money to burn ...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 19:44:29 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 5
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
on my way back from Huntington last week, there was a massive Pile up and as a result we did not move for an hour, two Prius had ran out of life due to the unexpected delay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No problems just Solutions

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
Range, Cost of Replacement batteries and their life span are issues at the moment.

If manufactures could get their heads together and make a standard battery that could be swapped in and out then you could have the situation where you could go to a garage and just swap a dead battery for a freshly charged one. You would never own the battery (a bit like the calor gas bottles) you just paid to swap a dead one for a fresh one.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 19:05:46 PM »
They seem to be ridiculously expensive and unreliable for long journeys as well ....

You must have money to burn ...

I don't agree. They are no more expensive on long journeys than any other car, petrol or diesel engined. They come into their own on shorter journeys though of less than 30 miles

As for reliability, with newer engine technology, probably more reliable

I wish I did have money to burn! :-[

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 19:11:44 PM »
on my way back from Huntington last week, there was a massive Pile up and as a result we did not move for an hour, two Prius had ran out of life due to the unexpected delay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which is why an all electric version is not viable at the moment.

I have seen 'Smart' motorways being built but when finished they are far from being smart. All they do is try and manage the traffic with cameras and speed limits at the same time losing the hard shoulder.

My idea of a 'smart' motorway would be as well as the above include inductive charging under the carriageways and WiFi. The prius cars would not have expired then. As usual, the government is short sighted and only pays lip service to 'green' matters.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 19:15:44 PM »
Range, Cost of Replacement batteries and their life span are issues at the moment.

I agree, but things should improve as technology improves. Which is why the 2040 cut-off is optimistic.

If manufactures could get their heads together and make a standard battery that could be swapped in and out then you could have the situation where you could go to a garage and just swap a dead battery for a freshly charged one. You would never own the battery (a bit like the calor gas bottles) you just paid to swap a dead one for a fresh one.

Ha, they have been trying to get mobile phone makers to agree to a standard charger for years - no chance car manufacturers doing that any time soon. Good idea though

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 19:43:04 PM »

Ha, they have been trying to get mobile phone makers to agree to a standard charger for years - no chance car manufacturers doing that any time soon. Good idea though

[/quote]

I agree, but things should improve as technology improves. Which is why the 2040 cut-off is optimistic.

Battery technology seems to have been a difficult nit to crack. When you look at the pace of improvements in other technologies batteries just haven't seen the same speed of development.  I'm guessing that with current knowledge we have hot the ceiling. I did read that Graphine was the holy grail but not seen much in that area for a while.

Bob - Agree with manufacturers not developing a single standard battery, shame as it would solve the problems short term until a new battery technology is developed.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »
I often wonder where the lost revenue in fuel tax will come from?

I reckon VAT on electric and gas will go up to 20% (the Tories already tried that a few years back and almost had riots on their hands - again) Petrol / diesel tax is worth about £25 Billion a year. They could increase VAT on petrol?

However they re-coup it, it won't be popular. Especially with non-car drivers and petrol heads!