Author Topic: Tumbleweed  (Read 1940 times)

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Tumbleweed
« on: December 16, 2018, 02:54:03 AM »
Its like Brexit in here dead has a dodo.  :laugh:

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
Re: Tumbleweed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 13:39:10 PM »
ok , ramp it up
westbury town  dying due to conservatives policies  .......... Bollocks
much rather have safer roads through our , so called town, than the wondrous Christmas lights
great to see new shop open in westbury...................................sincerely hope it works for them, i mean the vape shop
actually, of all the towns in Wiltshire that i have passed through i believe melksham to be the best.
still cant find a shop in westbury to by the missus a pair of knickers
still have to go to Dilton marsh to get large letter weighed and posted,  is that down to the conservatives too ........................Bollocks
have to cash my cheques, .................................................where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Christmas to one and all.... maybe its my upcoming birthday when i realise  that my so called pension is worth bugger all.... obviously down to the conservatives too

God bless Mrs May
as a great Conservative leader once said....
if your going through hell.........just keep going

No problems just Solutions

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 18:08:00 PM »
Eight years of a conservative government and there are 14 million people living below the poverty line, 8.2 million working-age adults, 4.1 million are children and 1.9 million are pensioners.
In Wiltshire the conservative Wiltshire Council continue to cut services, and because of cuts in funding from national government have, and will continue to increase local taxation.
The economic policies of the government have created this situation and it's sad that millions still refuse to accept this fact. Tory austerity has deliberately kept wages and living standards low, and have forced local authorities to reduce spending on schools, on policing, and on the public services.
Selling off of Royal Mail and the Post Office and other once publicly own services is the reason we don't have the levels of service that we should, or have had in the past.
Reduced spending power has resulted in cuts in high street spending and with the large online companies being allowed to avoid and evade tax have created an uneven playing field.
To add to this a conservative government gave us a referendum without planning for the inevitable problems and have failed miserably in negotiations with the EU to reach a satisfactory outcome.
God help Mrs May I say and advise her "when your in a hole, stop digging", call a GE and let the people decide.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 18:10:19 PM by Michael »

Offline DORIAN

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 18:43:02 PM »
ROCK ON!!!
Can you explain what real hardship really is. i know that you know we are breeding children into a society of families that the parents have never worked but scrounge on the welfare, we all know those that  they have never lifted a finger, to find employment, but  stay in their homes watching their 53 inch tv
Not having the money to buy food or clothing is hardship, and as a result of our wonderful welfare state, many poor souls  are being looked after. and yes, i have worked as a Samaritan to support those genuine individuals who have nothing, forget labour/Tory/liberal. what we need is a national party that wants the best for the Uk(AND I DONT MEAN NATIONALIST AS WE ONCE KNEW IT)
All parties  have earned their Brownie points in the past 100 years, there are individuals on all sides, that if sat together could make the UK great once again

Offline jimkerr

• Hugs: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 20:12:38 PM »
May is useless actually she is Nebulas Its True and the Tories are ripping themselves apart and I am just watching it happen thank God perhaps she can get a smiling Photo in the papers with Raab and Rudd Opening another food Bank before she's dragged out of No 10 that's the only way she will leave before this country is brought to its knees in March .

Gray

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
May is incompetent on an epic scale for a Tory leader. She is devoid of all sorts of essential qualities required for the job, not least some sort of competence in handling interviews, debates on TV, how to run an election (making up your manifesto which is hated by most people including your own supporters is a serious sign of being completely out of her depth), how to negotiate (she has no business or any commercial experience whatsoever so is reliant on Yes men and Yes women who themselves have little or no real world experience), how to read the economy (she has avoided all comments as she does not even pretend to understand any of it).

Having said that, nothing compares to the utterly incredible stupidity of Gordon Brown who, when he was Chancellor, sold off most of our gold reserves just when world gold prices had fallen to a deep low point at the bottom of a well known cycle ...  What a moron!  Gordon is a moron!

As for JC, words fail me. Moron is just far too polite for him...  this is someone who has actually said he would never press the button for our very costly but effective nuclear deterrent ... thus rendering the whole point of a deterrent as impotent and useless as he is himself  ...

As for the subject of this thread ....   I think this forum has not been this busy with posts as it has been over the last month for several years. It seems to be undergoing a revival ..... and I'm not surprised as we've all had the chance to see how useless Facebook is for any kind of reasoned conversation...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:54:29 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline DORIAN

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 14:23:51 PM »
ok, so she misread the the state of the nation when calling for an election, however i take issue with your stance over her incompetence. As a Reamainer in the first instance she has not shirked her responsibility  in trying to negotiate the best deal she can for the UK. Remember it her advisers that are doing the spade work and the PM delivers it, similarly have you heard some of the arrogance of the EU ministers when talking to the media. The size and economic clout that we have must be a worry to the fragile union, france, italy, Greece, spain , all in queer street, and when we leave it wont be long before the union collapses
i think her stance in the House is commendable compared to some . JC and Abbott resemble more Abbott and costello and although Vince Cable is an honourable man, his party can deliver only hot air.
So given that we are going through an incredible time in our lives, who got us the Deal, what other deal is out there... so lets get on with it

Offline baldy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 17:50:28 PM »
The most straightforward BREXIT deal on offer is the clean BREXIT deal on World Trade Organisation terms. The tariffs are already set out and we would be quids in as we buy more stuff than we export.

Some folks call this "no deal", but they mean no deal with the EU.

Dr Liam Fox is now suggesting that we go for a "managed no deal" BREXIT, meaning use the 2 year or so transition period to organise for a clean BREXIT.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 13:07:19 PM »
ok , ramp it up
westbury town  dying due to conservatives policies  .......... Bollocks - Not Bollocks -True
much rather have safer roads through our , so called town, than the wondrous Christmas lights
great to see new shop open in westbury...................................sincerely hope it works for them, i mean the vape shop
actually, of all the towns in Wiltshire that i have passed through i believe melksham to be the best. - Bollocks
still cant find a shop in westbury to by the missus a pair of knickers  ???
still have to go to Dilton marsh to get large letter weighed and posted,  is that down to the conservatives too ........................Bollocks - Not Bollocks-True
have to cash my cheques, .................................................where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trowbridge / Warminster?

Happy Christmas to one and all.... maybe its my upcoming birthday when i realise  that my so called pension is worth bugger all.... obviously down to the conservatives too - yep

God bless Mrs May
as a great Conservative leader once said....
if your going through hell.........just keep going because you usually only go through hell with a conservative leader..
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 13:11:19 PM »

The most straightforward BREXIT deal on offer is the clean BREXIT deal on World Trade Organisation terms. The tariffs are already set out and we would be quids in as we buy more stuff than we export.

;D :D ;D :D ;D except that the 'stuff' we buy from the EU is tariff free - for now...

Offline baldy

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 13:52:04 PM »
You've missed the point that we import more from the EU than we export. So, if WTO tariffs are applied, we will collect more tariffs than we pay, which would be quite a boost for the government allowing it to spend money on supporting industries that are affected more badly.

Offline DORIAN

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 18:05:09 PM »
farming is my trade and we only able to produce 50% of the food that we require. no merchants are offering any further terms into the new year, we try to "hedge" our position to minimise the risk...... no Deal is going to be a very rough ride

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
Not just farming will be affected. Pretty much all business's will be hedging. A no deal, or a clean deal as Baldy calls it will be worse than any deal.

You've missed the point that we import more from the EU than we export. So, if WTO tariffs are applied, we will collect more tariffs than we pay, which would be quite a boost for the government allowing it to spend money on supporting industries that are affected more badly.
No, not missed the point at all. You're very naive if you think all the duty collected will be re-distributed to business's that paid it in the first place. Just about everything that comes in will cost the consumer (you and I) more.

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 14:16:39 PM »
If no-deal happens, the UK will go from being a member of one of the world’s largest single markets and customs unions to being a global outsider, quite literally overnight. The impact on all businesses across the UK could be dramatic. Companies in the manufacturing sector which rely upon just-in-time supply chains, and an international base of both suppliers and customers for their survival can expect to be heavily impacted
Since the UK joined the EEC (as it was then, now the EU) in 1973, the nature of our industry has changed. Rather than South Wales, Shropshire, and the North-East, the raw materials now arrive just in time from suppliers across the EU, and around the world. Any interruption to this just in time supply chain would have an inevitable, and costly, impact on business.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to see how an interruption to vital trans-European and global supply chains can be avoided.

The impact of this change cannot be overestimated since it will bring about the inevitable reintroduction of customs checks, import duties, and tariffs for all goods travelling from Europe into the UK. Not only will compliance with new – as yet unknown – procedures and bureaucracy impose additional financial and regulatory burdens, the uncertainty of additional transport times for goods crossing borders has the potential to render the concept of just-in-time supply an impossibility.

Once outside the EU, UK-based companies will be obliged to pay tariffs on the overwhelming majority of goods travelling into the single market, of which we will no longer be members. The practical upshot of this is to increase the cost of UK manufactured goods to customers in the EU; indeed, that is the whole reason that tariffs – a tool of economic protectionism – exist.

For manufacturers who export within the EU – or even to other countries with which the UK has a trade agreement as a member of the EU – there will be two options: pay the tariffs on behalf of customers and take a significant hit to their finances; or pass the costs on, see order numbers drop, and take a significant hit to their finances. There are companies across the Midlands region, and throughout the UK, already operating on tight margins for which this issue alone could mean that they can no longer continue to trade.

It is inconceivable that, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the pound will maintain its global value. Additionally, because of the increased costs of importing goods, and services such as gas and electricity, into the UK, no-deal will lead to rampant inflation, price rises, and higher costs for both businesses and consumers. Higher prices in the UK, combined with a fall in the value of the pound, will make British goods more expensive overseas, and make overseas goods more expensive for UK based companies. The Bank of England has presented some scenarios in which prices could increase by as up to 35% – a change it would be difficult for any company to survive.

There is also the prospect of recruitment difficulties caused by the end of freedom of movement; a breakdown in transport infrastructures such as ferry transport and the Channel Tunnel; and lack of certainty over regulation to name but three more challenges.

Worst of all, these impacts are not just limited to a no-deal scenario. Even if Theresa May can pass the withdrawal agreement through Parliament, that will only buy more time to negotiate the terms of a future relationship with the EU.

Offline baldy

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 18:25:08 PM »
Maxi

It's obvious that you are simply making all this up without any proper foundation in facts just by saying basic points that are wrong

In your second sentence you said: "The impact on all businesses across the UK could be dramatic."

But, only a tiny proportion of businesses actually import or export anything. The vast majority of businesses will actually be unaffected.

You also said "It is inconceivable that, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the pound will maintain its global value" as if this is a problem. Whenever the pound falls, this makes it easier to sell abroad and it always acts as a boost to the economy.

The whole business of going onto WTO terms will undoubtedly throw up some issues and problems, but it will not be the outright chaos that Project Fear claims. If the EU puts tariffs on good that we export to them then we shall do the same. In that game, the EU will quickly give in because the German car factories would be hit hard and there is no chance of the Germans letting the EU go on with that ...