Author Topic: Good Indian takeaway  (Read 343 times)

Offline Bobbyt

• Hugs: 0
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Good Indian takeaway
« on: February 28, 2019, 16:07:37 PM »
Sorry for a bone question but which is the best Indian takeaway in the Westbury area?

As we're new to Westbury this is a major concern to us  :laugh:

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
Re: Good Indian takeaway
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 16:13:15 PM »
I like the Cinnamon Lounge in the High Street - a nice restaurant as well as a takeaway. 

If you fancy a kebab as a change, the Istanbul takeaway in Westbury Leigh is handy for Leigh Park residents.

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 16:18:42 PM »
Definately Cinnamon Lounge have never had anything other than a 5* service the food really is excellent 😊

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 16:19:19 PM »
All three Indian take-aways in Westbury are quite good, but they all cook the same named food rather differently.

Two are also restaurants.

My preferred take-away is the one with no restaurants:  Saffron.

This is in the bottom part of Edward Street, which is accessed by car by turning left out of the Library end of High Street or by turning into Edward Street from West End or by going along Maristow Street from the Market Place.

As far as I am concerned, Saffron cook their food in the way you would expect good Indian restaurants would do it in London.  I actually worked near Brick Lane for a while, and tried out all the "Indian" restaurants there, plus all the ones in Wimbledon whilst I lived there during the 90s. When I have ordered food in either of our local restaurants in Westbury, what arrives is quite different from what I first expected ... though I am sure many locals would think it is great anyway.

See: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Saffron/@51.2619066,-2.1840096,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4873d6a1b05c9bc5:0xee0379b8d0d52162!8m2!3d51.2619598!4d-2.1838613?hl=en

and

https://saffronwestbury.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pin&utm_content=website-button
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 16:37:13 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline baldy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 18:01:53 PM »
Following on from John GL's comment about a Kebab take-away, I have decided to reveal my own guilty secret ...

Having tested every Kebab shop in Westbury (ahem - for purely research purposes only -- ahem), I would agree that the Westbury Leigh one is rather good and actually is the best value considering that its food is certainly as good as it gets and the prices are less than town centre prices. I've been there several times and noticed that the change of ownership last year resulted in a far better run establishment which now takes debit and credit cards (there might be a low limit in place though for using cards).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 18:15:05 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 18:26:24 PM »
I would agree with baldy re Saffron, by far my favourite, in fact I had one from there last night. This time I tried the Keema Rice, which was a nice change from Pilau.

I have eaten in the restaurant and had takeaways from Cinnamon Lounge, no complaints, but Saffron has the edge.

Not tried the one opposite Champion since its 0 star hygiene score!!  :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 18:40:15 PM by Shizzy »
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 18:50:02 PM »
Best local Chinese take-away by far is Jambo. Consistently good and uses top quality ingredients.
Other places in the past have given me serious food poisoning
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 19:00:42 PM by baldy »

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 18:52:01 PM »
the market Place, i find is absolutely incredible. You have a whole lifetime infroont if you to find the best one for you!!!
No problems just Solutions

Offline baldy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 19:19:48 PM »
It's funny how folks prefer different Chinese take-aways. I think it is something to do with the sauce that most of it is swimming in. My brother's in-laws preferred the Chinese take-away in Westbury Leigh many years ago before it closed (now the Instanbul kebab place) and I went to try it to find that they used a sauce that was slightly orange or purple and was really quite sweet and sickly for me .........

Jambo simply reminds me of the best take-aways I've had in the past in the best places I could find in major cities or large towns ... and. believe me, I've done the research ...

Offline Bobbyt

• Hugs: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 20:37:50 PM »
Thank you for all the recommendations, look forward to trying them all! Starting with an Indian tomorrow :) 

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 20:55:15 PM »
I’ll have to try Safron again. I stopped eating from there years ago as everything tasted the same, and bland.

Chinese, I think China Cottage takes it. Worst very definitely Star East.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline baldy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 02:47:37 AM »
I may have to try China Cottage again. I remember from many years ago that it was certainly one of the better ones, and for me Jambo simply had the edge.

When the original Champion was based in Market Place, it too had the edge.