Author Topic: Kevins Menswear  (Read 280 times)

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Kevins Menswear
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
I Have Been Reading Reports On facebook Today That Kevins Menwear Is Closing In June,
He Has Been There A long Time And it Will Be a Sad Day When He Closes.
And Another Loss In Our High Street.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Kevins Menswear
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 13:56:12 PM »
You forgot to blame BREXIT.

Politics aside, I saw a poster in the window on Thursday about a Closing Down Sale.

I agree that this is indeed sad, but I suppose it was inevitable sooner or later as the business is clearly not trading well enough to justify a double unit and so cannot realistically be sold on as a going concern (or obviously that is what would happen) and Kevin himself is well past normal retirement age.

I remember the shop well as for most of my life I've bought all my jeans there and they've managed to have my size in stock whereas that was not always the case elsewhere.

I don't know if he still runs a big trade stand at horse / agricultural shows around the country but that was certainly a major part of the business. I recall being on call in the early 80s to go along to his shows as a junior sales assistant and we'd sleep in tents or even in the lorry. I certainly remember one long and wet weekend at a show ground in Exeter when the rain went on and on and raincoats, Barbour coats and green wellies sold like hot cross buns ...

When I used to commute to London during the 80s and 2000s on the train between Westbury and Paddington, it was amazing how many times two local topics were being discussed by other people on the train.

One was often people mentioning that Westbury had nothing worth visiting except "Kevins". They tended to be smart hunting and shooting types who would then go on and snigger at the name "Kevins".

The other was the Glastonbury festival and half the time Michael Eavis himself was actually there surrounded by teenage girls and female students who had moved to sit closeby who were rabbiting on and on and on about the artists going and their own student politics. I recall one cringeworthy conversation when he had been surrounded by young LibDems who were clearly trying to convert him from Labour to the LibDems ...

Kevins Meswear closing will be a loss to the High Street no doubt as nothing like it will follow in its place. I believe Kevin owns both units and so I imagine he'll try to let them or sell them. Either way, it is going to be a hole in the High Street for some time ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:19:53 AM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:            My Blog                                  Twitter

Offline Maxi

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 15:25:15 PM »
I believe He Is In His 70's Now So It Was Inevitable At Some Point.
I Hope He Has A Long And Happy Retirement.

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 21:50:52 PM »
I saw the notices a week ago and promptly went in to stock up - four pairs of trousers and a couple of cardigans.  A great loss to the High Street.

Offline baldy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »

I wonder how quickly McColls might decide to move to a new double unit this year and so offer a larger Post Office? ? ?

One of the reasons McColls gave for refusing to take on a PO in their shop for two years (until a one till model was offered by PO Ltd) was, in effect, the unavailability of a double unit in the right position (near the entrance to the car park) in the High Street.  They had asked if they could enlarge into their next door unit but that was unavailable as the existing tenant had no intention of moving.

I guess that much will depend on how much new footfall and sales are being generated by the new PO till and the judgement of management about whether more worthwhile sales would follow from moving to a larger unit which is less visible from the main way into High Street by the car park entrance than their current corner position unit.

Things might get interesting ...
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
Agreed another nail in the proverbial, however the shop was a second fiddle to the incredible successful mobile units that circuited the UK at agriculture shows etc, i do not know if his his brother who was more involved with this side of the business will continue. Nevertheless, like the late Jed Davis, Kevin and his team have done Westbury proud
No problems just Solutions

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »

I wonder how quickly McColls might decide to move to a new double unit this year and so offer a larger Post Office? ? ?

Interesting thought, maybe that is why McColls relented in the end, knowing they maybe able to move to larger premises?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline baldy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
Hmmmm.    Maybe an approach to take on both units from someone led Kevin to decide now is the time to close down and retire and have a well deserved rest.  I have no knowledge on his real reasons and I am simply speculating ...

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
You forgot to blame BREXIT.
Here Baldy, for that chip on your shoulder.

Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.