Author Topic: High Street Shops  (Read 262 times)

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
High Street Shops
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
I didn't realise until I came out the card shop in the High Street that we now had 2 estate agent shops empty side by side, how poor the High Street has become, The old Natwest Bank is still empty, 2 estate agent shops empty, Kevins Menswear shop( 2 units) about to close, Barclays Bank now empty, Coop Bank still empty,   I remember an old dear on the towns minibus saying a couple of years ago the way things are going we shall be getting Tumble weed blowing along the High Street, it looks like that time is growing even nearer, And I have just heard the the Flower Shop is also closing as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 14:17:46 PM by Old Codger »

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
Re: High Street Shops
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 17:00:10 PM »
careful what you say!!!! you may get, like i did, a remark...Why stay in westbury then!!!!! BUT i am with you old friend. its so so sad to see a town i was so pleased to be proud of. like so many town westbury RIP...  the Chequred Flag, restaurant, The umbrella factory, restaurant. Nixons, grocer in Market place, Giffords, Drapers in market place, linhams, butchers on Warminster Rd, Colliers on warminster rd, Perrys, Newsagents on Warminster rd, Derry lee boutique, ladies clothing, warminster Rd, The shoe Tree, the high street, Maceys, toy shop, Gray and Jones, Pharmacy, Dickie Grenvill, pharmacy, Chards, Pharmacy, Market place, Nixons , grocer in Market place, george Nicholls, Menswear, Mairtow   street, Rita Marfleet, Ladies fashion, Mairstow st, Bill Missen, record shop in High street, .......yes i am going through a major meltdown, and of course time takes its toll, but nevertheless only 30 years ago westbury had all the needs to support the town... NOW, NO COMMENT
OH of Course , all major Banks, Building societies....
No problems just Solutions

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 17:10:42 PM »
I don't remember lots of those shops, as I've lived in Westbury for only 18 years... I have an old photograph showing W H Smith on Warminster Road.

I notice that the Angel Inn has closed too - anyone know anything about that?

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 17:58:03 PM »
they were the jeweler in the town, and next door was the Vista Cinema.. back in the day there was  an Ice cream shop next door to the laverton owned by a Mrs Hales.. one had to tap on the window, and she would then opull the window up and serve ice creams. The shop is now the one next to the Laverton with the conservatory on the side,,,, this is getting quite emotional!!!!!!!
No problems just Solutions

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 20:24:26 PM »

I notice that the Angel Inn has closed too - anyone know anything about that?

Not sure where all the daytime drinkers will go now, it was like the Whetherspoons of Westbury :)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 22:01:27 PM »
Plenty of empty shops in our high street as old codger rightly says.  With kevins and now the flower shop to close too.  ::) another empty unit to add to the growing numbers . Its no wonder people migrate to spitfire retail park which is always full of people and less than a 10 min journey away

Such a shame !  I used to love a bit of people watching while sat on a bench having my lunch on nice days. Always see someone to have a natter with . These days its few and far between!  Rarely see anyone who i know to say hi to. 

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »
The town has changed so much in the 15 years we have been here,it is dying on its feet and will continue to do so. More and more people are moving here as hundreds more houses are to be built yet we have less and less to offer them, why they want to come to this town I have no idea but by the time all of the houses are filled, will there even be a High street left?

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 51
  • Hobby
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 14:59:10 PM »
Sadly Westbury is a town in name only now. People come to live here because it's cheaper than surrounding areas
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!