The General Boards > General Discussion

Traffic

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bob DeBilda:

--- Quote from: baldy on June 18, 2019, 11:30:03 AM ---Traffic is getting heavier everywhere. Houses facing a main road or key distributor road will be affected more than most.

--- End quote ---

I agree and the answer is to STOP building housing estates where there is no local work!  It's commuters and on-line deliveries to these rural estates that cause the traffic congestion.

Silverthreads:
I think this road is already being used as an alternative route through Westbury!

.......and very few vehicles stick with the 20mph restriction! The Police would get some easy revenue from speeding cars and also from people using their mobile phones!

I hope you have a good result when you contact County Hall Russell, the bridge is badly needed.  [app]

Michael:

--- Quote from: Bob DeBilda on June 19, 2019, 10:44:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: baldy on June 18, 2019, 11:30:03 AM ---Traffic is getting heavier everywhere. Houses facing a main road or key distributor road will be affected more than most.

--- End quote ---

I agree and the answer is to STOP building housing estates where there is no local work!  It's commuters and on-line deliveries to these rural estates that cause the traffic congestion.

--- End quote ---
But that's not going to happen, Wiltshire Council has decreed that there is a need for a further 600 houses in Westbury, not to supply the Westbury demand but the needs of West Wiltshire.
Westbury Town Council can object, and has done in the past, but Wiltshire Council make the planning decisions, these can and sometimes are called in by local councilors but the overriding decisions are taken by a government official. There is a short fall in housing and he has to ensure that it is met.

Shizzy:
We definitely need more housing across the country. The problem is that builders are not keen on developing the needed infrastructure that comes with it, and government seem happy not to push it.

Bob DeBilda:

--- Quote from: Shizzy on June 20, 2019, 07:49:58 AM --- The problem is that builders are not keen on developing the needed infrastructure that comes with it, and government seem happy not to push it.

--- End quote ---

The government has other things on its mind at the moment..

--- Quote from: Shizzy on June 20, 2019, 07:49:58 AM ---We definitely need more housing across the country.

--- End quote ---

mmmmm. currently there are over 700 empty homes in Wiltshire that have been empty for more than 6 months.

I think we all know that building houses is all to do with boosting the economy. If there really is a shortage and the government is serious about resolving that shortage, why aren't empty factories etc. being converted to homes. These are on brown field sites often with infrastructure already in place. You've only got to drive through the White Horse Business Park to see the waste there. Imagine the number of flats that could be fitted into the old Virgin building or the old mill on County way Trowbridge.

Of course this wont happen because builders are only interested in profit and for them building on a green field site is far cheaper. The government is happy for this to continue because more profit for builders means more tax for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version