Author Topic: Roadworks  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
Roadworks
« on: September 26, 2019, 21:16:32 PM »
Absolute chaos in Oldfield Road!
HGV's are using this diversion... are they just ignoring instructions or is the signage not adequate?
Its bumper to bumper with drivers not leaving a space for residents to get on and off their drives!!
This road needed monitoring long before the present roadworks, it certainly needs it now!
It's also like a travelling disco.
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: Roadworks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:21:44 AM »
Unfortunately with the only main route through Westbury being closed for essential road improvements/repairs there are only 2 routes to get out towards Warminster once in Westbury, either up Oldfield Road or up Eden Vale Road, heavy traffic which Warminster Road would normally have the lions share is distributed along alternate routes therefore specifically at peak times expect delays. As for people stopping infront of driveways it happens every day on every road as unless people suffer that blight reguarly they do not understand the inconvenience it causes to residents, to them its just a road. I just wish drivers would drive with alittle more patience, Leigh Road is too a nightmare with speeders trying to make up lost time I guess & if I had not had my wits about me using the pedestrian crossing by Allen & Harris on Tuesday when after presenting myself clearly a car  shot across not even bothering to slow down or look who might be there I would be toast now. My one and only joy was that I recognised said car & driver trying to come down Oldfield Road at 8.30 yesterday morning as I walked my dog & aas stuck in the jam by Penleigh park...nit going so fast now eh & hope she was significantly delayed in her journey :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:25:12 AM by Damnit »

Offline Silverthreads

• Hugs: 57
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:30:44 AM »
I have seen it all now!!
...a car overtaking bumper to bumper traffic , 3 abreast, going towards Station Road!  Must have thought the space between the humps was another lane !! ::)
Is it time for your Medication or mine?

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 15:49:47 PM »
I have seen it all now!!
...a car overtaking bumper to bumper traffic , 3 abreast, going towards Station Road!  Must have thought the space between the humps was another lane !! ::)

We were in the queue waiting patiently going towards station road and could not believe our eyes when she overtook us all and just sat there at the calming point( a joke in itself) and pushed in front of everyone! took us 20 mins from Phoenix to station road this morning, a taste of things to come if they ever put the flyover in to the new houses. we have seen so many massive lorries down oldfield, one the other day was almost out of control as he approached at speed to the junction of Mane way , I fully expected him to go straight across and into the pond but he managed to brake eventually.

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 16:14:12 PM »
Its good fun isn't it. I had a chap almost crash into me as I was reversing onto my driveway. He made some gesture and mouthed something rude to me, so I stopped, turned my engine off and got out. He wasn't so mouthy when he realised I was twice his size and more than happy to discuss his speed. He even apologised before I got a word out! Only three weeks left of the madness....
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 16:27:16 PM »
With all these blessed road works causing hassle on a lot of the other roads due to high volume of traffic going into the other roads wouldnt it be easier for everyone if they have drive space to get their vehicles onto it out of the way . Ive just had the joy of being on oldfield road the traffic was horrendous. Made worse by a large BRAKES lorry going through😡 ( well over the 7.5 tonne limit )  Morrisons hgv was going through the other day 😡 followed by a white plain lorry also same size..  that HAZELHURST van that is always parked at the end house right by the very last  traffic calming towards leigh park... talk about in the way. Why not use their common sense and park across the road in that small parking area. Would get it off the road and road users have a better chance of getting through the  calming and hump without having confrontation from other users who will demand their right of way even though someone could already be half across it before their vehicle is spotted because of the van parked in the way.  Eden vale road was a nightmare this afternoon . So many cars parked along the road. Double parked in most cases by the schools and again by the woodland business park...   cars one side of the road and that yellow lorry which is always there and then some plonk came and parked a flash white merc on the opppsite side by the bungalows...   nightmare !!!     I can hear emergency services as i type.. hope he gets through easier than i did.. wouldnt have been anywhere to pull over to if it was earlier....
 I live on meadow lane as you know ...... the traffic here has got bad too..  people using it as a short cut to elsewhere .. they think its a bloody race track and disco even at 5-6 am . Yesterday morning it was bumper to bumper at 8.15 am  for quite a while as well .  Horn beeping.. not letting cars into the offices opposite car park area. I even had a silly twonk try to drive behind me when i was reversing on my drive. He didnt like having to reverse back so i could get onto my drive safely.  I always indicate im pulling over and then put on my hazards so they know to be aware.  I pull out a bit then reverse in trying hard not to hit the car parked in the layby right outside my house which overhangs the access to my drive.. there can be nothing in the road when i start to reverse and then blow me there is a car up my boot honking cos im in his way  grrr    people need a lot more patience, especially when the roads are manic.  I for one will be glad when these road works are over.Took a friends daughter 3/4 of an hour to go past mine  and out to warminster via laverton rd i presume.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 16:29:35 PM »
Its good fun isn't it. I had a chap almost crash into me as I was reversing onto my driveway. He made some gesture and mouthed something rude to me, so I stopped, turned my engine off and got out. He wasn't so mouthy when he realised I was twice his size and more than happy to discuss his speed. He even apologised before I got a word out! Only three weeks left of the madness....

3 weeks ?? 😥😥   

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 16:40:15 PM »
Why would a  brakes lorry be reversing down into pheonix rise ?   Too large for the road , im sure it would be over 7.5 tonne limit .  Thats who provided frozen meals to schools prisons and pubs n clubs isnt it ?   If he is just driving it home then its still to large for oldfield road

I was lucky when trying to get off the drive in oldfield road the bus driver let me off and go in front of him  so the vehicle the other way on my side felt obliged to do the same . Thanks to the mini bus driver, you saved me another long wait. Took something like 20-25 mins to get there from lidl as it was. Station road, rosefield way roundabout was blocked with nothing moving so i went eden vale way which was just as bad 😂🤣😥

Offline John GL

• Hugs: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 17:01:51 PM »
This morning we (on foot) saw a Bulgarian juggernaut turn left from West End into Haynes Road... the driver realised halfway round that the road ahead was closed but had no chance of reversing with lots of traffic behind him.  It went up Haynes Road and into the High Street - presumably to turn round in the car park.  Did anyone here see the aftermath?

Offline Pete

• Hugs: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 17:34:53 PM »
Gotta say I've been loving the last couple of weeks  ;D

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 18:03:07 PM »
sadist!  :o  ;D
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 18:16:44 PM »

Get used to chaos...
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Old Codger

• Hugs: 15
  • Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 20:18:47 PM »
When I was at Aldi this morning the ambulances were coming along Leigh Road and turning right at the junction and heading up the hill towards Warminster,   on another topic I asked in the store if they were closing a few days because of the roadworks and was told NO we are not, lets wait an see.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 00:06:13 AM »
When I was at Aldi this morning the ambulances were coming along Leigh Road and turning right at the junction and heading up the hill towards Warminster,   on another topic I asked in the store if they were closing a few days because of the roadworks and was told NO we are not, lets wait an see.

Thats strange OC      i was told they were for 3 days .  If they arent shutting i will go there. How easy is it to get in and out of it

Offline Damnit

• Hugs: 2
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 06:04:29 AM »
I also asked, they definately are not closing, we are ok as can walk there however if travelling by car even though the contractors letter says access to business will be available they also said there would be times when access is not possible, even giving free parking permit to park in Warminster Road car park to residents, so you may have to park in the Warminster Road car park, when they get to the Aldi stretch of road the Orchard Road roundabout will be open to access the car park.