Author Topic: Bypass News - Westbury Area Board @ 7pm, Thurs 10 Oct, The Laverton  (Read 1557 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 81
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
The agenda includes the following:

Update from Western Gateway Sub-National Transport Body
Allan Creedy - Head of Service: Sustainable Transport at Wiltshire Council will update the Area Board on the long term strategy for the improvements to the A350 in Wiltshire.

The public are welcome to attend and to ask questions to the Head of service for major road projects. He knows what is happening with obtaining funding for a Westbury Bypass, which involves several possible funding sources ...

This item will be quite early on in the meeting so best to get your seat by 7pm.

Meeting details:  https://cms.wiltshire.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=173&MId=12340
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 21:29:49 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline baldy

Re: Bypass News - Westbury Area Board @ 7pm, Thurs 10 Oct, The Laverton
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 21:02:01 PM »
Just got back from the meeting. Allan Creedy gave quite a detailed explanation of the funding context and background for A350 improvements.

Here is a simple summary of what is otherwise a long and technical essay:

Forget the Local Economic Partnership as its funding stream is too small.

Government is now putting large amounts of £Billions into Strategic Road schemes (Highway Agency handles this for Motorways and primary routes) and Major Road Schemes (A350 comes into this).

WC has submitted bids for the 2020-2025 funding tranche which includes the Melksham Bypass. Expect decisions within next 12 months or so. If Melksham Bypass is funded for starting in 2020-2025, then WC will put Westbury A350 bypass into next bidding round for 2026-2030. If so, this means that analysing possible routes and outline costs etc would begin in about 2022, so that the bid is fully prepared ready for submission for the 2026-2030 funding period.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
Is a bypass for Melksham really more important than Westbury.? Their town centre is already by-passed
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
A question put and point well made by WTCs Mayor Mike Sutton, but in reality the bypass is for Beanacre, the purpose I suppose being that it eases the flow of traffic, as does the Lacock bypass.
As always however road improvement seems to be concentrated on the North of the county nearer to the M4 and it is as always "jam tomorrow" for Westbury.
In this situation Westbury need to campaign and argue for any new housing developments to include plans for traffic relief for Warminster Rd and Haynes Rd, West End and Trowbridge Rd.
It has been suggested that in the future Westbury will have to accept somewhere in the region of another 600 dwellings, maybe some of these will be in Wiltshire Councils plans to provide 1000 council homes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:26:30 AM by Michael »

Offline baldy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
It strengthens the funding case for a Westbury A350 bypass when other pinch points along the route - all with easier routes to design and obtain planning permission - have already been built / funded.

My understanding of things is that the outcome of the last Westbury Bypass project (Refusal of permission after a long public inquiry even though funding from the SW Regional Assembly was confirmed subject only to planning permission) left a deep scar in the County Hall team and they are keen to avoid that sort of disaster again. Hence doing everything else first and seeking to obtain a sum large enough to cover the cost of (possibly) going the long way around to the west of Westbury.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 13:11:00 PM by baldy »

Offline baldy

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:43:20 AM »
Over the last few weeks, there has been a series of articles and Letters to the Editor of WHN based on complete and utter nonsense that seems to assume that Wiltshire Council has chosen its route for any future new Westbury A350 bypass.   NB. It has not!

I am not talking about the letter from Dorian Jones which is the one letter that is not pure rubbish based on rubbish.

The whole nonsense that I am referring to starts with a front page article which quotes Cllr Gordon King who appears to have been trying to repeat what Allan Creedy said at the above-mentioned area board meeting about the way forward for a Westbury A350 bypass. When I read what Cllr King is quoted to have said, I felt that either Cllr King was drunk (unlikely) or he was making it all up (maybe) or he was very confused (maybe) or perhaps it was a mix of total confusion by him and then confused editing by WHN leading to an utterly misleading article about nonsense based on pure rubbish.

Cllr King is quoted saying that Wiltshire Council intends to apply for a grant for a bypass going to the east and south of the town so that more housing development would occur on the land between the town and the bypass.

I can tell you that no such thing was said at the meeting and that what Cllr King is talking about can only be pure speculation.

The reality is that Allan Creedy made clear that no route has been chosen yet and that any new bypass project would start with consultations on possible routes and that no route is ruled in or out at this stage. He specifically said that all options would be analysed.

At the area board held on Thursday this week, I got the minutes of the October meeting adjusted to reflect the above reality about what Allan Creedy did say and the 4 person board including both Cllr King and his wife Cllr Mrs King agreed my clarification.  I do wonder if Cllr King will be writing something to retract or clarify the utter nonsense that was printed in the WHN in his name and which has led to utter nonsense in the printed letters section.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:54:10 AM by baldy »