Author Topic: Bypass News - Westbury Area Board @ 7pm, Thurs 10 Oct, The Laverton  (Read 4287 times)

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
Re: Bypass News - Westbury Area Board @ 7pm, Thurs 10 Oct, The Laverton
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 14:10:15 PM »
It's still going to be a big improvement on the current situation because a lot of traffic will be taken off the Yarnbrook roundabout, thus allowing better flow for all.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Michael

• Hugs: 12
  • Be especialy nice to newbies and to all others :)
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 14:14:20 PM »
It's still going to be a big improvement on the current situation because a lot of traffic will be taken off the Yarnbrook roundabout, thus allowing better flow for all.
Time will tell, but it may be some time before we find out. The developers of Ashton Park say that they will build 300 properties a year, that's ten years to completion.
Not sure I'll be here to see it. :)

Offline baldy

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 18:53:26 PM »
300 a year is rather a lot in one area. Leigh Park was built at a rate of 100 per annum, which required about 4 separate gangs working on 4 separate sites for about 10 homes at a time on each site.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Michael

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 19:08:23 PM »
Well perhaps they're being optimistic, it is a large development, the interesting question is will it remain part of North Bradley Parish or will it become Trowbridge?

Offline baldy

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 20:05:29 PM »
Trowbridge Town Council has form on claiming land in adjacent parishes by asking for the parish boundaries to be moved at every opportunity to include new homes that are seen as the urban extensions of Trowbridge.

As you know, Westbury TC is trying to claim Hawkeridge Park which is actually in Heywood Parish ...

Offline Michael

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »

As you know, Westbury TC is trying to claim Hawkeridge Park which is actually in Heywood Parish ...
Well that does make sense, it is after all part of Westbury as in reality is the West Wilts site, there is an argument for return to the old Westbury boundaries and doing away with some of the smaller Parish Councils.

Offline Al

• Hugs: 56
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:03 AM »
The simple, if costly solution to this problem would of course be a road from the A36 at Standerwick linking the West Wilts Trading Estate
bypassing the villages and joining Phillips Way at Yarnbrook, a route favoured by at least one Conservative Wiltshire Councilor.
This was talked about, and indeed drafted, over 20 years ago. Relieves traffic on the A361 in Rode and Southwick also. It'll never happen though, it makes too much sense.
Ride fast, take chances. Just don't blame me when you fall off.

Offline Michael

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
The simple, if costly solution to this problem would of course be a road from the A36 at Standerwick linking the West Wilts Trading Estate
bypassing the villages and joining Phillips Way at Yarnbrook, a route favoured by at least one Conservative Wiltshire Councilor.
This was talked about, and indeed drafted, over 20 years ago. Relieves traffic on the A361 in Rode and Southwick also. It'll never happen though, it makes too much sense.
Yes possibly a case of "hope over experience" by me but it is something that I will keep pushing, and as I've said it does have the support of at least one unitary councilor.

Offline baldy

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 03:39:39 AM »

Various routes were identified nearly 20 years ago with estimated costs and benefits including the result on journey times and fuel usage (depending on distance, gradients and the number of junctions / stops involved etc).  The shortest route going south of the town gave the best cost benefit result because it was far cheaper than all the longer routes and because it actually would take more traffic out of the town - indeed it became clear that it would be likely that most cars would still use the route through the town if the bypass went north and west of the town because of the longer distance involved which would not cut journey times.

One of the really disappointing factors in the last proposed project, which was rejected by the Secretary of State after a planning inquiry and after funding was allocated subject to planning, was that Wiltshire County Council's consultants had utterly messed up lorry and car movement estimates on nearby roads, such as those going through North Bradley and Southwick. This caused a long delay in the planning inquiry whilst the analyses were redone by consultants. To say the least, the planning inspectors were hugely unimpressed with the wrong figures used by the Council. Heads rolled at the top of the Highways department soon after  ... indeed, the new unitary Wiltshire Council (born April 1st 2009) by then had a culture of removing top folk who displeased the then council leader. Two chief executives then disappeared quite suddenly over the next few years as well ... the latest one being Andrew Kerr who is now chief executive at Edinburgh Council and who is always on the TV on the podium at his count when general election results are announced.

When the project is eventually revived, all possible routes will have to be analysed again under the circumstances applying at the time, such as funding rules and planning policies. I would not be surprised if the old route going south / east becomes the only obvious practical solution again especially as journey times and fuel usage will have become more important considerations and the planting of trees in much greater numbers along the route will have become more normal ... and because longer, less fuel efficient and more time-consuming routes will be seen as pointless ...

Also, the Tories look set to be in Government for at least a decade, so some of the anti-roads nonsense that changed planning policies under Labour might be changed back or at least adjusted - I say "might" because I can't tell yet whether Boris Johnson will pursue economic growth as being more important than protecting countryside that is NOT allocated as National Park or any AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) and where a landscaping scheme can realistically mitigate any locally important views. 

Also, Wiltshire Council's administration would know much better next time that they need to handle much better the anti-new roads / green campaigners and their massive flow of propaganda with lie after lie in local press week after week.

I am not saying that I have any steer on the route that will be chosen. I don't. I am sure it will all be examined very thoroughly in public at the time and the existing rules at the time including especially the planning constraints / restrictions and cost-benefit analysis will be key or King at the time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:40:11 AM by baldy »