The General Boards > General Discussion

Is it correct for a Chiropractor to style themself as "Dr" ??

(1/3) > >>

baldy:
There is a firm of Chiropractors in Westbury with a well-qualified chiropractor who calls herself a doctor in several ways.
See: http://maristowchiropractic.com/the-team

She uses the description of Doctor of Chiropractic.

According to the website linked below, the “Chiropractor” title is protected by law and chiropractors are regulated by statute. The General Chiropractic Council (GCC) is the UK-wide statutory body established by Parliament to regulate the chiropractic profession. CAP (Committee of Advertising Practice) understands that Chiropractors are permitted by the GCC to use the courtesy title “Doctor of Chiropractic”, which is sometimes abbreviated to “DC” or “DoC”

See: https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/use-of-the-term-dr-chiropractors.html

As far as I am aware, in the UK it is only correct to use the title of Dr  (eg. Dr  Roger Penny) if one is actually qualified as a medical doctor or has a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy Degree).

I believe that chiropractic is not recognised as based on science and so is not accepted as mainstream medical treatment by the NHS though it is regarded as an alternative therapy that may help.

So, should this person be using the title of Dr in her name and be writing letters or emails about unrelated business (ie. when not acting as a chiropractor and also not using the courtesy description of Doctor of Chiropractic) and be using the title of Dr instead of Mrs or Ms?

Damnit:
Not sure how this works within English law, but I think anyone who uses a title to bolster their professional profile that could be misconstrood by the public into thinking they are more qualified than they actually are when considering using their service is wrong.
I should think when emailing etc about unrelated business the Doctor title is totally irrelevant & is only being used again to bolster their ego!
A friend of mine who is a very highly qualified chiropracter working for the NHS has letters after her name not before & has never portrayed herself as a Doctor 😀

DORIAN:
i work with many agronomists who have gained their PHD in their field, and can use "Dr" whenever it suits, but do not except when the need arises

baldy:

--- Quote from: Damnit on November 19, 2019, 06:43:50 am ---
I should think when emailing etc about unrelated business the Doctor title is totally irrelevant & is only being used again to bolster their ego!

--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly!

This is exactly the issue here.  I will definitely have more to say about this person in due course ...

Bob DeBilda:
I know of a few GP's that call themselves doctor. I wouldn't!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version