Author Topic: Post Office  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Post Office
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
Been to the post office in McColls twice in the last three weeks, closed both times. 1st time staff said they were too busy, 2nd time I didn't ask just saw the closed sign.

Probably won't bother again, rather than waste my time walking up to the shop I will wait until I go past The Ham on my way to work.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
Re: Post Office
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 18:08:03 PM »
not wishing in anyway to not be sympathetic i must say that overall, the staff, at a demanding time have done a sterling job overall and should be applauded, hopefully this was a minor blib
No problems just Solutions

Offline Debs

• Hugs: 72
  • Love life and life will love you back <3
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »
Ive been using a post office a bit more recently due to selling pompom baby blankets that i make.  I must admit to not using westbury ones at all. As im in college road in trowbridge 3 times a week i use the post office there. I can park right outside and dont have far to carry my parcels because i walk with a walking stick these days   

Been to the post office in McColls twice in the last three weeks, closed both times. 1st time staff said they were too busy, 2nd time I didn't ask just saw the closed sign.

Probably won't bother again, rather than waste my time walking up to the shop I will wait until I go past The Ham on my way to work.
   if i carried a parcel and parked behind the high street, walked to post office to find it shut i wouldnt be impressed at all.  All that effort for nothing

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
I use that one Debs, my daughter lives on Silver Street Lane so just swing by there when visiting. Otherwise, I use the one in Bratton.

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 16:23:30 PM »
I use that one Debs, my daughter lives on Silver Street Lane so just swing by there when visiting. Otherwise, I use the one in Bratton.

I have found the staff polite and helpful in the time i have been using that particular post office . Plus no queues and able to park close as well which is a bonus

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 21:49:16 PM »
When the old Westbury Co-Op closed for a while to refurbish itself - after the nearby Tesco Express opened (about 6 or 8 or so years ago) - Co-Op put on a bus service to take their PO customers to the College Road Co-Op in Trowbridge.  I drove there to have a look at it in my role as a town councillor at the time and wondered how on earth I had never discovered it before. When the Westbury Co-Op eventually closed and it's PO finally shut down, I then used the College Rd PO several times when I was going to be in Trowbridge anyway.

Since the High Street PO has opened in McColls I have found it to be very good most of the time because the queue is either very short or non-existent. Sometimes, like in the run up to Christmas last month the queues were longer and it obviously took longer to wait but in reality the same must have been true at every other PO.

I guess that sometimes when there is a serious staff shortage, a sub PO will close their PO counter. I have never heard of this being a regular problem though I have seen one or two signs in the door saying that it would be closed on a certain day for staff training or shortage reasons over the last year or so, which hardly seems to be a regular crisis.

I think if the shop is convenient and open and does the job most of the time without a problem, then it is basically providing a good service with little risk of an occasional problem. If I ever found it to be closed when I need it then there is always an array of other nearby sub PO counters at The Ham, Dilton Marsh, Bratton, Warminster (WH Smith) and several in Trowbridge including Co-Op College Road and now WH Smith.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 21:53:56 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline baldy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 21:50:09 PM »
not wishing in anyway to not be sympathetic i must say that overall, the staff, at a demanding time have done a sterling job overall and should be applauded, hopefully this was a minor blib

Bloody hell, Dorian. I agree with every word you said here!
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Debs

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:52 AM »

Bloody hell, Dorian. I agree with every word you said here!

Omg russell  i dont want to sound sarcastic or anything  BUT   wow!! [app] [app]

Offline Pete

• Hugs: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 15:18:16 PM »

Offline DORIAN

• Hugs: 6
  • in a hundred yeras time it will not matter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 17:21:10 PM »
i am not too certain but i was led to believe they are moving into a lager unit within the town
No problems just Solutions

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 14:59:46 PM »
Quite possibly Dorian. I think they wanted a bigger unit to start with.

Offline baldy

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 16:04:43 PM »
Well, I'm not so sure. It's clear that the whole group business is in trouble and needs to sell or shut poorly performing branches.  If no-one new takes on the Westbury High Street branch by taking over the lease, it looks like it will have to close.

Offline Shizzy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 11:08:29 AM »
Bang goes our post office then.

Since the problems I have had with it being closed I now use Hermes to send parcels. Easy to do online, and cheaper than Royal Mail. I can drop off the parcel at a local store or have it picked up from home for a few extra pence.

Offline baldy

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 15:24:01 PM »
i am not too certain but i was led to believe they are moving into a lager unit within the town

No chance. No paper shop / PO store is going to give up its prime corner position which means everyone driving into the High Street sees it.

There was speculation that McColls might expand into next door to accommodate a bigger PO operation with 3 counters etc. I know because I was involved in it.  But, the charity shop next door had no plans to move and McColls were not really interested in moving to a double unit that meant they lose their corner position.

In any event, the advert is making plain that the business is for sale in situ (ie. the lease and the business are for sale).