Author Topic: What's the point of Westbury  (Read 901 times)

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hugs: 53
  • Hobby
What's the point of Westbury
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
A while ago I was asked this question.

I struggled to answer it really apart from saying it grew up around the woolen mills and iron works. Not wishing to cause offence to anyone, what is the point of Westbury?

These days it is just a commuter town?
Protect Local wildlife, Keep your cat indoors!

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
  • Be nice to newbies :)
Re: What's the point of Westbury
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
You could say that about most towns. Many towns in the country are just commuter towns. What's the point of Bratton, Edington etc?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
It is a commuter town now, just one big housing estate without any proper services, the shops are rubbish, the tight knit community has gone, I hate it here now, if we could move out then we would, there are many more houses planned which will make the situation even worse, Westbury as a small market town is dead sadly.  Once the gasification incinerator arrives, perhaps the commuters will regret movng here once their children develop breathing problems.Come to the contryside for fresh air! yeah right!

What a dump! soon the dump of the south west with everyones waste coming here to be disposed of.

Offline baldy

• Hugs: 82
  • Westbury needs a cleanup -smear campaigners first!
    • Info about internet "Trolls"
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 14:42:12 PM »
Well, most of the time the emissions from the gasification plant will be carried on the wind towards Devizes. In reality, the only people affected actually in the town will be those up on the hill at The Butts, Newtown and Studland Park during a northerly wind (ie. one going south from the north).

When I spoke to the Hills technical adviser about this, he basically said that it will be really no different to the exhaust coming from nearby residential dwelling gas flues spreading out amongst the nearby homes when the wind blows the wrong way. He was adamant that by the time the exhaust gasses from the Hills plant hit the ground a mile or more away, they will be so diluted that they will be no different to the more nearby gasses from the nearby gas flues.

One of the issues is that the gas being burnt and released to air is basically similar to the old coal gas. Not great, but not any sort of really dangerous stuff like if the actual waste was being incinerated with all the gasses released.  The gasification process basically heats the waste to extract "Syngas". All the nasty stuff becomes a sort of clinker that can be used as hardcore in the bottom layer of roads etc. 

This is why the law allows this sort of plant to happen.

I noticed that Friends of the Earth are still going on about the planning permission and are asking Wiltshire Council to withdraw the permission.  This just shows that Friends of the Earth do not understand the planning process. Wiltshire Council cannot withdraw planning permission. If they ever attempted it, the council would just be sued for the entire lost profits of the plant. It is not going to happen - not ever. It's just a daft stunt by Friends of the Earth. I do not understand why they are doing this except to gain publicity for failing to make any difference to anything on this matter.

The real issue is the public consultation by the Environment Agency, when that comes, on the application by Hills for an operating licence. That is the process that will consider environmental issues. In law the council could not take account of issues that will be considered by the Environment Agency (EA) in its licencing process. It had no choice in law but to issue the planning permission because the plant complies with all relevant planning policies - whatever nonsense the objectors keep bleating on about. They are simply talking complete rubbish.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 14:57:05 PM by baldy »
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).
Click to see:    Twitter  
NB. Alternative name: Lord High Commander Dr. Baldy

Offline Mike Hawkins

• Hugs: 40
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 15:50:55 PM »
"They are simply talking complete rubbish."   Maybe their rubbish could also be used to create the syngas?    Why should we worry about this new plant, when the same complainers tell us that we are going to be destroyed by "climate emergency" and "5G" anyway.  I have asked my grandchildren to ask the same question in 50 years time!!
Statistics are provided by Government to supply credence to Government policy

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
"They are simply talking complete rubbish."   Maybe their rubbish could also be used to create the syngas?    Why should we worry about this new plant, when the same complainers tell us that we are going to be destroyed by "climate emergency" and "5G" anyway.  I have asked my grandchildren to ask the same question in 50 years time!!

Nice to hear your comments again Mike, you've been quiet for a long time. Maybe because you have had your head stuck in the sand trying not to hear the climate change protesters?  ;)

Perhaps 'they' are concerned that the gases are just going to be another contributing factor to their climate emergency? All small things add up to one big thing? Not sure about the 5G comment.

When I spoke to the Hills technical adviser about this, he basically said that it will be really no different to the exhaust coming from nearby residential dwelling gas flues spreading out amongst the nearby homes when the wind blows the wrong way. He was adamant that by the time the exhaust gasses from the Hills plant hit the ground a mile or more away, they will be so diluted that they will be no different to the more nearby gasses from the nearby gas flues.

One of the issues is that the gas being burnt and released to air is basically similar to the old coal gas. Not great, but not any sort of really dangerous stuff like if the actual waste was being incinerated with all the gasses released.  The gasification process basically heats the waste to extract "Syngas". All the nasty stuff becomes a sort of clinker that can be used as hardcore in the bottom layer of roads etc. 

This is why the law allows this sort of plant to happen.

The law is often an ass as we all know. I wouldn't expect the Hill's technical adviser to say anything different. Old coal gas was banned decades ago? sounds like not as far as Hills is concerned.

Offline baldy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:29:56 AM »
I meant EU law.  It's based on the highest standards in the world.
I'm here in my private capacity as a local resident only (unless stated otherwise).

Offline Bob DeBilda

• Hobby
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 08:20:12 AM »
I meant EU law.  It's based on the highest standards in the world.

Do you really believe that or are you being facetious?

Offline baldy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »
LOL. I'm happy to be either or even both.

Offline Shizzy

• Hugs: 38
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 17:16:24 PM »
the shops are rubbish,

I don't agree, we have a butchers, bakers, supermarket, card shop, funeral directors, cafe, fast food, dry cleaners, florist, pet shop, hardware shop opticians, betting shop, and a newsagent all in the centre. Not sure there is much more a town of this size could sustain. I agree the town centre is grotty, but we can thank the older generation for their love of concrete for that.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Offline Dana Scully

• Hugs: 13
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 21:58:38 PM »
the shops are rubbish,

I don't agree, we have a butchers, bakers, supermarket, card shop, funeral directors, cafe, fast food, dry cleaners, florist, pet shop, hardware shop opticians, betting shop, and a newsagent all in the centre. Not sure there is much more a town of this size could sustain. I agree the town centre is grotty, but we can thank the older generation for their love of concrete for that.
The bakers isnt really a bakers, it mostly survives selling sandwiches and coffees, the cakes are often stale, and the bread is awful,Morrisons is lacking in every deprtmant,florist is too expensive and blames YOU the people of wesbury for it failing( horrible little message that was on the window) the new pet shop isn't much cop, the other one was great( all the old shops were good),Davies is WONDERFUL, brilliant shop,betting shop is pointless,the newsagents is going, all in all the shops are rubbish as I said. The town is sinking in new homes and I would love to move from this dump.