The General Boards > General Discussion

Covid 19

(1/6) > >>

Michael:
Boris Johnson suggests that perhaps we should allow the virus to take it's course, "take it on the chin" without taking too many draconian measures. This Morning ITV, a discussion with the presenters.

Is he right, should it be the economy first and foremost, is this the right way to tackle the emergency, or is this "battle plan more like a surrender plan?"

Doesn't this seem like the Economy First and Screw the People approach?

Bob DeBilda:

--- Quote from: Michael on March 10, 2020, 16:20:41 pm ---

Doesn't this seem like the Economy First and Screw the People approach?

--- End quote ---

That's always been the conservative way.

Shizzy:

--- Quote from: Michael on March 10, 2020, 16:20:41 pm ---Boris Johnson suggests that perhaps we should allow the virus to take it's course, "take it on the chin" without taking too many draconian measures.

--- End quote ---

I think it's not a bad strategy. Although probably not really Boris' idea. There was a virologist on the TV suggesting the same thing.

Bob DeBilda:
Depends how many people you are comfortable with to let die.

If left, the virus will peak sharply and quickly with a very high number of people getting it. Some estimates are saying 50-80% of the population ( 30-50million). The death rate will be higher in this scenario as the high dependency wards wont cope and there are simply not enough respirators.

If the virus is delayed, it will peak with the same number of infections but over a longer period. The death rate will still be high but not as high as the strain on hospitals will be less over a slightly longer period.

BoJo will prefer the former as the economy will recover quicker. ::)

I was talking to a friend last night who is a staunch conservative and Brexiteer etc. He is in his late 70's and said the situation is worrying but more worrying for him is his share prices have dropped! Although he did say there was a silver lining as he was able to buy shares in Disney at a very low price which is always a good bet. ::)

I just shook my head and told him I hope he lives long enough to spend his invested money!

Shizzy:
Bob, my parents and in laws are of the same mindset, what will be will be. I guess they come from a more resilient generation, not affected by the recent snowflakery fad.

It is survival of the fitness, natures way to cull the weak. It may sound callous to snowflakes but those that are dying were on their last legs anyway, all the virus has done is speed up the inevitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version